OMG i just got a virus PLZ HELP Me!!!

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
well... i had done it before on my old pc and that worked well

omg it has found 4 now 'cries' ahhh **** omg i have jsut a horrible sinking feeling in my stomach right now.. i think i may just wipe my hard drive :(

should i go that route or should i hang on a little longer and see if i can get my pc back to normal?

ok i have 7 trojan horse viruses that avg has found.. do i just leave them with avg or how on earth can i delete it off my computer???

ok my pc has totally slowed down, avg didnt fix the problem, how do i reformat my hard drive?? do i just re load the os?

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
no it doesnt give me the option to heal it or fix it

iv given up all hope... man this just sucks i got my pc all ready to go and now this stupid thing happens. so how do i reformat my hard drive.. do i have to re load the os i guess?

rsetter1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
There are many anti-virus software programs. Most, if you go to their sight you can down load "trial" versions.
My favorite is Kaspersky Labs.
You should only have "One" anti-virus program installed at a time.
Down load Kaspersky, save to your desktop.
Unplug your internet connection.
Remove your existing anti-virus
Install Kaspersky, then reconnect to the internet and update kaspersky
You should only have one firewall enabled also. Kaspersky has one and so does windows. disable one or the other.
Run "Scan My Computer"
If Kaspersky wont remove it you will have to do it manualy through
Run: regedit
Type the name of the virus after clicking "find"
It will run and stop when it finds the first location
Look on the left you see folders, one will be open.
If there are more than one file in the folder delete the last line in the center of you screen.
If there isnt other files or sub-folders, delete the folder.
Hit F3
Regedit will find the next location. Do the same as above.
Hit F3 again , and again untill you reach the end.
Then do it all over again.

smelly_feet

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
do you have any important files on the drive?

here are your options.
1. no important files: format reinstall and destroy any data cd/dvd burned since the problem started.

2. important files: eg. homework assignment that needs to be printed. In this case get a friend to download and burn a linux live cd and use that to use.

3. important files but the computer is still useable: finish with those files then reinstall.

rsetter1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
You might also have to ctrl+alt+delete then go to "processes" and see what is eating up CPU/memory useage. If you dont have any programs running and you have something eating up CPU it is more than likely the virus.
Delete that line also.
Between regedit, task manager and kaspersky you should be able to get rid of the virus.
When it is clean install AVG FREE or Avast Home...also free.
If you like Kaspersky I just saw Office Max add from todays paper
$29.95 for 2 years and up to 3 computers.
You really should'nt have to wipe your drive/drives.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
If you download ILLEGAL Torrents your going to get viruses. Companies upload bad files just for people like you.

You may even have viruses embedded in your Illegal windows. I think its safe to assume your windows was a torrent.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
he means that you probably tried to download a torrent of AVG, which was the full version, which you didn't pay for, which means that you broke the law.

polarity

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2003
The guy's a dick from the 'holier than thou' camp. You can get viruses from just as many legal sources. I've seen over 300 trojans and spyware programs on some innocent noobie user's computer, and all they did was use the anti virus supplied with it (Norton) and take it on the internet (and it got fixed after that without formatting).

P2P is a better way of downloading big files quickly than client/server, and plenty of people use it for linux distros, patches, demos and free programs. Unfortunately the big download sites don't use it despite the fact it's more efficient, and to use nearly all of them you need to give your email and get spammed or pay them to get decent bandwidth. The files are legal, but without the original source providing hashes for p2p you can't be sure it's a good version, or just something uploaded to give you a virus. There are plenty of people other than those protecting their IP who upload viruses, and a lot of them upload anything useful, free or not.

My advice? Get an old 10gb hard drive and put a clean install of windows on it (saves learning linux, and gives you more tools you can use to fix an infected windows drive, like windows AV and anti spyware programs).

Viruses can only be inside files that are 'run', that includes the boot sector and core startup files of the operating system, .exe and .com files of programs, .dll files, and a few others that have executable parts like .wma and .wmv files, or office files with macros, and saved web pages that do stuff with activex and javascript. Most files are perfectly safe, just being data that can't be run, and all files with viruses are safe to mess around with so long as they aren't run.

Boot off your 10gb drive, install a free AV program (only take the bare install to google, then the AV program's website and it should be safe enough to take on the web for that job. I'd recommend you get both Avast and Grisoft's AVG, as you're more likely to find everything using more than one program), then shut down and reboot with your 10gb drive as the boot drive, and your infected drive as a second drive in the system. Now you have full read and write access to the infected drive to fix it with your AV program, and so long as you don't try to run any programs on it nothing else can get infected.

If your 10gb windows install gets messed up you can just reinstall it without losing any important files.

Can Not

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007

I've NEVER gotten a virus from torrents, and I'm a huge storm at it. I HAVE gotten a virus from the Cyanide and Happiness website's advertisements.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
i imagine it depends on which torrents you download really..... and tbh, i dont think that anyone in their right mind would bother with a torrent to D/load AVG which is what? 2 mb? 20 mb? unless they wanted a version you couldn't get off avg's site - an illegal full version
(that was my logic)

bjmarler

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Also, you can have your current anti-virus do a reboot and then DOS based scan, or do it in safe-mode. That's usually much more effective since some virus' hide in proteced Windows .dll's, etc....