I have a quad core. Do core temps really matter?

I have a quad core, and using speedfan I found out that the cpu temperature is 35 c, but the 4 cores range from 50-70 C.

Should I look at the cpu temp, or the core temps?
15 answers Last reply
More about quad core core temps matter
  1. Use RealTemp or Core Temp. Look at the cores.
    50-70 is too much difference. You may have to RMA that processor if that difference stays.
  2. but if you assume that the 50-70 range is between idle and load, the difference is probably normal with the stock cooler. And yes, the core temps are the important ones.
  3. ahh ok!. well core 1 2 3 go to about 50-60, but core 4 likes to go to 70.
  4. ispy said:
    ahh ok!. well core 1 2 3 go to about 50-60, but core 4 likes to go to 70.

Is that Idle or Load?
  5. umm its idle
  6. 50C idle?then you got a serious problem in there.try reseat the cooler if problem still exist RMA it.
  7. well when I installed the heatsink, I dont think I snapped it on properly out of fear of snapping my mobo in half. Stupid stock intel heatsink
  8. well i have used a Scythe Mugan it simply bend the whole mobo.but it still work and will return to normal shape if i remove the cooler.so dont worry just push it harder!!harder!!!lol
  9. thats what she said =D
  10. What is the ambient temperature where this PC is located?

50 Is hot... but if its 35 celcius there, 50 would be good :)
  11. lol 24c ambient temp.

Oh well...i hope the zalman helps lol

also thinking of oc'ing to 3.0
  12. My ambient temp is around 30 odd and i get idle core temps of 47, 41, 42, 40 and under load 62, 57, 56, 54 @ 3.1 gig
    Three questions
    1: Should i just go by the highest core value as a safety guide?
    2: Is it worth trying to re apply paste with these differences or are they too small to worry about trying to correct?
    3: What's the considered safe ceiling temp for a quad under load? I want to go higher than 3.1

Sorry for asking the questions on your post ISPY but they seem related.
  13. ispy said:
    well when I installed the heatsink, I dont think I snapped it on properly out of fear of snapping my mobo in half. Stupid stock intel heatsink

Use a roll of duct tape underneath and push hard!
  14. tricky trees said:
    My ambient temp is around 30 odd and i get idle core temps of 47, 41, 42, 40 and under load 62, 57, 56, 54 @ 3.1 gig
    Three questions
    1: Should i just go by the highest core value as a safety guide?
    2: Is it worth trying to re apply paste with these differences or are they too small to worry about trying to correct?
    3: What's the considered safe ceiling temp for a quad under load? I want to go higher than 3.1

Sorry for asking the questions on your post ISPY but they seem related.

Your temperatures are acceptable. Do not go over 70° C under load for longevity of your processor.
  15. ooh! using duck tape roll. excellent idea. but i already ordered screw on zalman hsf.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Quad Core Speedfan Temperature Overclocking