Sign in with
Your question

The new High-End G.P.U.s are coming...are you ready?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2007 4:08:37 AM

So, simple question: what's everybody doing to get ready for the new GPU's (9800GTX ect...)

Personally, I am working 40-50 hours for the next 3 weeks while I am on school break, should have enough by February for that 9800... Anyone have any weird ways of saving money, maybe holding back on the kids lunch money for a few weeks?

More about : high end coming ready

December 29, 2007 5:09:14 AM

Well I am just hoping I will be able to step up. My father purchased the vid card in my sig on the 9th or 10th of December so with any luck I will be able to nab a step up through evga on one of the 9800 cards. If not...oh well, its still alot better than my old X1900XTX and I didnt have to pay for it. lol

Best,

3Ball
December 29, 2007 5:20:19 AM

Personally, I'm waiting it out. Me and my x1900XT are going strong, and the last performance upgrade I got a 250% boost in performance for $200, and I want to see that or more. I can't wait to see what cards spawn from these for the mid-range.
Related resources
December 29, 2007 5:46:47 AM

Can't afford it.

So nothing for me. Going to wait for the 10000GTX or whatever.
December 29, 2007 5:57:13 AM

Waiting for something like Mid-class 9600 to out-perform the current 8800GT~
December 29, 2007 6:04:35 AM

well i replaced the gts 640mb cards with the g92 - so who needs them!

dual gpu - i be crossfire - ing those
December 29, 2007 8:43:44 AM

The rumored 9800GTX won't be released until NVidia's new duel (2 G92's) GPU card comes out. The finished product will have two connectors, one 8Pin and one 6Pin. You really think NVidia is done milking their current G92 GPU's?

By systemlord at 2007-12-24
December 29, 2007 10:19:54 AM

they have much more incentive to simply increase supply for their 8800gt, since that would bring prices down, and it would then be a superior product to the 38-- series from ati since they already hold the High end performance crown
December 29, 2007 11:35:36 AM

I doubt you will see these until mid next year.... there really is no reason for them to release the any sooner I thought they were just bringing out 8800GS and soon the dual 8800GT.
December 29, 2007 1:03:46 PM

If you go research the web a bit you'll get another shocker ... NON GPU VIDEO cards are going to be coming out !
December 29, 2007 1:23:14 PM

?? And what do you mean by that?
December 29, 2007 3:55:04 PM

yes, please elaborate, because to my mind, what you just said is that video cards which don't process graphics are coming out, so what do they do?
edit (GPU - graphics processing unit right?)
December 29, 2007 4:20:43 PM

TESLA! GO TESLA! YEHAWWW!
It's basically just a GPU chip put into a PCI-E slot that instead of rendering images, it renders date (i.e. instead of the CPU).
Since it has 128, 256 or even 512 SP's, it can basically compute a lot more data.
December 30, 2007 12:55:26 AM

trooper1947 said:
If you go research the web a bit you'll get another shocker ... NON GPU VIDEO cards are going to be coming out !

And that would interest me why? You just said, "NON GPU VIDEO cards are going to be coming out". How then can you call it a video card? Ok time to put the crack pipe down. :lol: 
December 30, 2007 1:08:09 AM

yeah go supercomputers! woot! TESLA is going to break all FLOPS records!
December 31, 2007 2:26:21 PM

systemlord said:
And that would interest me why? You just said, "NON GPU VIDEO cards are going to be coming out". How then can you call it a video card? Ok time to put the crack pipe down. :lol: 

This is what I was referring to .... and I detest drug users ..... I think drug dealers and pushers should have an automatic death penalty !

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061119-8250.html .

And http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3471

And this http://www.dailytech.com/Article.aspx?newsid=4982

True can't be called a video card as such .... integated cpu/gpu .... but in a sense it is the video system built in in future systems making the motherboard a MB/video card array . Totally different than today's integrated video ! Just read the articles .... I don't like the idea at all ... but since when has manufacturers cared what in the h*ll we think or want ?
By the way I don't think ANYONE cares what interrests you .... HAHAHAA --- :kaola: 
December 31, 2007 2:58:24 PM

Quote:
yes but those are still gpu's, they may not be discrete gfx cards but you said no gpu 's which ain't true.

As I said I mistyped it .... hey I make mistakes .... but I admit them . :o 
December 31, 2007 3:00:52 PM

I'm actually not getting ready at all for the next latest/greatest set of GPUs. Believe me I'm very curious to how they perform and waiting to see the improvements over the current selection of GPUs, but for now I shall remain content with my current Vid cards and don't plan on any major purchase agian until late 08 or even early 09 (next rig revamp).Currently the most powerful GPUs in my collection are an overclocked (800/2200) HD2900 Pro 1Gb and following that an overclocked (600/1450) 7950GT 512 Mb. Both which remain pretty capable of playing the games I enjoy.Though if I was preparing myself for the next upcoming GPUs I'd be doing one thing, waiting for the CPU horsepower to be released and invest in a good water cooling setup to push it even further. Only then would I purchase the new cards wich by then would already be replaced with something faster.
December 31, 2007 3:07:37 PM

Quote:
where did you say you mistyped it?

It should have said " no gpu video cards " ... no video cards in the system with a gpu .... does that satisfy you ?

Take the N off non ... done explaining it ... like I owe you an explanation ---- :ouch:  drop it dude !

Okay my typing is horrible ... was looking for an opinion of what is probably coming in the future ... should have put those links in . :p 
December 31, 2007 3:27:30 PM

I just sold my G80 8800GTS640 for $310 and bought an EVGA G92 8800GTS for $330(after rebate). I'm hopping that the new cards come out in the next 90 days so that I can Step Up. It would be nice to be able to put 90% of what I spent in 2006 on video cards towards 2008.
December 31, 2007 3:33:31 PM

1774661,7,78863 said:
The rumored 9800GTX won't be released until NVidia's new duel (2 G92's) GPU card comes out. The finished product will have two connectors, one 8Pin and one 6Pin. You really think NVidia is done milking their current G92 GPU's?

No .... they'll still milk the h*ll out of us and so will ATI . Neither one has given us a good reliable card yet that the consumer does'nt have to figure out how to make reliable and stable in most instances . They're really p*ssing me off and I hope others too . Everytime we turn around they release a new "best " card and with as many problems as the one before it . Christ we don't have labs and bucu techs and we figure them out alot better than they do . Same old story ... huh ?
December 31, 2007 3:41:31 PM

Quote:
no gpu video cards? that doesn't even make sense, i am not having a go just trying to make snese of what you typed in relation to your links.

One more time to waste my time ..... NO VIDEO CARDS WITH A GPU !!! CHRIST GET A LIFE !!!!!!!!!! :pt1cable: 

I don't really give a sh*t what you think anyway .... GO AWAY and bother your little sister ! :lol: 

They're going to make the cpu and gpu all in one ..... hopefully not in all their future productions . Sounds like some stupid idea to me . That will surely sink their ship .... :cry: 

December 31, 2007 4:57:50 PM

Trooper 2 things--

1- I disagree... While there is some evidence to suggest we might never have stand alone GPU's in the future, there is also good evidence to suggest otherwise.

2- As a outside observer, I gota say, you really come across as being very rude, loud, and obnoxious person....
Some of the things you've said in this thread---

" By the way I don't think ANYONE cares what interrests you .... HAHAHAA ---"
and---
"I don't really give a sh*t what you think anyway .... GO AWAY and bother your little sister !"

It is all very immature, unnecessary, and unprofessional. =(
December 31, 2007 5:34:58 PM

yay 9800gtx
December 31, 2007 11:42:09 PM

purplerat said:
I just sold my G80 8800GTS640 for $310 and bought an EVGA G92 8800GTS for $330(after rebate). I'm hopping that the new cards come out in the next 90 days so that I can Step Up. It would be nice to be able to put 90% of what I spent in 2006 on video cards towards 2008.

As I look into my crystal ball I see a G92 based duel GPU graphics card with two PCB's that will have one 8Pin and a 6Pin PCI-Express connector.

January 1, 2008 6:19:13 AM

Isn't that a picture of 2 7850 x2s? Big hunk o metal =0
January 1, 2008 6:57:29 AM

gamebro said:

I was told its an early prototype that stated that it will have more power connectors added, same PCB but with two G92's. See in a PCI-E 2.0 slot you only need on 6Pin power connector, in a PCI-E
January 1, 2008 6:59:00 AM

gamebro said:

I was told its an early prototype that stated that it will have more power connectors added, same PCB but with two G92's. See in a PCI-E 2.0 slot you only need one 6Pin or one 8Pin power connector, in a PCI-E 1.1 slot you'll need one more.
January 1, 2008 7:13:09 AM

systemlord said:
I was told its an early prototype that stated that it will have more power connectors added, same PCB but with two G92's. See in a PCI-E 2.0 slot you only need one 6Pin or one 8Pin power connector, in a PCI-E 1.1 slot you'll need one more.

Why don't you post the story?
Here it is:
http://en.expreview.com/?p=133

Who told you what?
The picture you posted is a 7950GX2
January 1, 2008 4:37:56 PM

gamebro said:
Trooper 2 things--

1- I disagree... While there is some evidence to suggest we might never have stand alone GPU's in the future, there is also good evidence to suggest otherwise.

2- As a outside observer, I gota say, you really come across as being very rude, loud, and obnoxious person....
Some of the things you've said in this thread---

" By the way I don't think ANYONE cares what interrests you .... HAHAHAA ---"
and---
"I don't really give a sh*t what you think anyway .... GO AWAY and bother your little sister !"

It is all very immature, unnecessary, and unprofessional. =(

I did'nt say it was a fact .... I read it and wanted an opinion not knowing it was discussed before . And by the way I was told to stop and put my crack pipe down .... I hate drugs and users and took it as an offense . Then it was stated by the person that it did'nt interest him at all anyway .... then why even make those childish dope related remarks ?? If something does'nt interest one ignore it and move on .... not purposely write a negative reply as he is famous for to many ! This guy used to follow me around on here and reply negatively to any of my posts . He must not have a life . I tried to explain a quite a few times my typo/mis--stated reply and mistake that I ADMITTED TO and was being nice and he continued his blatant childish behavior ! LOOK ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ! Tell me I'm wrong ... I'm not too darn big headed to accept mistakes .... but don't keep up with the insulting replies over and over ... you can only kick a dog so many times and he'll bite back . Some on here try to come across like they are GOD ALMIGHTY with sarcastic remarks and have not posted any detailed credentials to prove so to me . Yes I did use dumb replies which I apologize for .... swore I would'nt anymore .... I'm not like that .... it won't happen again ... but don't harp ignorantly on things when someone makes a mistake . The only forum posters I pay any attention to anymore is APE and about 2 others .... who have been thumped with low negative replies many times over and over that they do not deserve .
January 1, 2008 4:46:36 PM

systemlord said:
As I look into my crystal ball I see a G92 based duel GPU graphics card with two PCB's that will have one 8Pin and a 6Pin PCI-Express connector.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2369/7950gx2ir4.jpg

That looks like one of the highest quality assembled video arrays I've seen for a long time ! What company produced those ? Makes my ATI sapphire 3870 look like a flashy cheap made hong kong production in comparison .... which it probably was ... LOL --- :pt1cable:  !
January 1, 2008 5:36:31 PM

I currently have a 7600GT. My friend just upgraded his PC and mailed me his old 7900GTX. Untill a game come out that I would like to play and I completely cannot play at 1024-1280 res with med gfx I will not upgrade.

Trying to keep up with the latest techs is VERY stupid IMO.
January 1, 2008 8:40:41 PM

I have been disappointed with graphics performance for a long time. Top of the line cards would come out year after year only offering 15% performance improvement in 'some' games. Its really sad. I hope this year I can actually justify spending any money on a new video card. Nvidia hasn't really designed anything innovative in the last 4 years.

I look at it this way. Up until a few years ago, they always released a video card that could run the latest games at their highest settings and at least sticking with the unwritten rule of gaming for your eyes, and that is to keep the frame rate from never dipping below 30fps, period.

Its the same old crap they are reselling us. It's so bad now that it makes the video card companies look pitiful. Almost all of the pc games released under DX9 (and 10) platform can not run the games at standard panel resolutions, and the gaming companies know this so they only review their games at pitiful resolutions like 1024x768 and try to play down the fact that we have been at that resolution for almost 5 years now and any game that supports a higher res takes a huge hit on "minimum FPS", generally dipping well below 15fps in games. This is not acceptable, especially when you consider they are trying to sell us graphics cards that are so hot you can heat your entire house up with them (p.s. I don't even need the heat on in the winter anymore while I am playing any pc game). This is really sad.
PC gaming is complete crap right now, and the fact that you need 3 or 4 cards to achieve the "never drop below 30 fps rule" is depressing.

If Nvidia comes out with cards this year that offer the same performance but require 5 or 6 in tandem and a small thermo nuclear power plant with a 8 foot box fan, I will give up and abandon the pc platform for gaming for good.
January 1, 2008 9:32:22 PM

i'm not gettign a next gen card, i don't see any point in upgrading from what i have. i think i'll be set for quite a while.
January 1, 2008 10:47:21 PM

roadrun777 said:
I have been disappointed with graphics performance for a long time. Top of the line cards would come out year after year only offering 15% performance improvement in 'some' games. Its really sad. I hope this year I can actually justify spending any money on a new video card. Nvidia hasn't really designed anything innovative in the last 4 years.

I look at it this way. Up until a few years ago, they always released a video card that could run the latest games at their highest settings and at least sticking with the unwritten rule of gaming for your eyes, and that is to keep the frame rate from never dipping below 30fps, period.

Its the same old crap they are reselling us. It's so bad now that it makes the video card companies look pitiful. Almost all of the pc games released under DX9 (and 10) platform can not run the games at standard panel resolutions, and the gaming companies know this so they only review their games at pitiful resolutions like 1024x768 and try to play down the fact that we have been at that resolution for almost 5 years now and any game that supports a higher res takes a huge hit on "minimum FPS", generally dipping well below 15fps in games. This is not acceptable, especially when you consider they are trying to sell us graphics cards that are so hot you can heat your entire house up with them (p.s. I don't even need the heat on in the winter anymore while I am playing any pc game). This is really sad.
PC gaming is complete crap right now, and the fact that you need 3 or 4 cards to achieve the "never drop below 30 fps rule" is depressing.

If Nvidia comes out with cards this year that offer the same performance but require 5 or 6 in tandem and a small thermo nuclear power plant with a 8 foot box fan, I will give up and abandon the pc platform for gaming for good.

Just curious, what are you actually running? Your view seems pretty bleak. First of all I've seen much larger increases then 15% when upgrading cards and I've been upgrading frequently, even within the same generation of cads. Also I play at 1680x1050 and Crysis is the only game I've ever had any problems with "the stay above 30 rule". Also I don't see how games pushing the limits of hardware is a bad thing that makes PC gaming crap. And although it's not a real inovation since I believe ATI all ready had it, NVidia's 8000 seriers cards did introduce unified shaders to already powerful GPUs. Finally there are still a ton of PC games that don't require very powerful GPUs. Most MMOs, RTSs and online shooters are pretty friendly on older cards and even some integrated chips.
January 2, 2008 12:02:00 AM

God help us all if they make these new cards look like the old 7950GX2's. They were the biggest piece of "oh my god they actually made that" crap.
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2008 3:04:03 AM

The 7950GX2 was an excellent card, I beleive it was the first one that was able to max out oblivion. Personally, I had the ATI X1950XTX, which I believe was it's competition, probably my favorite GPU I have ever owned...
!