Can't OC my E6600 at all since installing 8800GT...

jasonspeed

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I used to run an ATI 2900XT and could get my E6600 to run stable at 3.4Ghz. I upgraded to an Nvidia 8800GT and ever since have to run my CPU at stock clock. I've tried increasing voltage on the CPU and PCI-E. I've tried increasing the PCI-E bus speed. I can't think of anything else to try. I know its not the CPU because I put my old ATI card in to see if I could still hit that speed and it did no problem. When I inserted the 8800GT I couldn't get past POST. I use a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard. I'm new to Nvidia so I wasn't sure if this is a common problem for their video cards or maybe I just got an unlucky card. Any idea's or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

lameness is right. The power requirements for the 2900 XT are:

Connection to 550 Watt (750 for CrossFire) or greater power supply with two 2x3-pin PCIe power connectors is required.

It could be either the video card or the power supply. I would start by RMAing the video card.

jasonspeed

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
The PSU is an Antec 650W. I don't think power is the problem. I really don't want to RMA the card because it works. I just can't OC the CPU when using the card. I can live with it for now just wondering if anyone had heard of this problem before? Didn't know certain components could lead to poor overclocking results. I completely removed the old Catalyst drivers before installing the new card. Thanks for the responses everyone.

shadowthor

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
how are you overclocking the gpu? Are you using rivatuner? You mention you increase the pcie bus speed, and if you increase that, it can cause errors and data loss.

There is not much difference in performance between a 2900 XT and an 8800 GT.
Did you use Driver cleaner to remove the old drivers?
A while back there was a problem with the 8800GT and power supply.
A lot of cards got RMA'd and power supplies changed.

jasonspeed

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I use RivaTuner to clock the GPU but I was pushing the PCI-E voltage and the bus speed a small amount in BIOS. I figured more power and speed to the bus might make it stable but no luck.

There is a huge difference in the 2900XT and 8800GT in the games I play. (LOTRO and Crysis mainly) I used driver cleaner.net to remove the ATI drivers. I have one of the early 8800GT's meaning I bought it overpriced before they were in steady supply.