Dragracer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello this is my first post here,Great forum you have here. :hello:
I have a HP pavilion desk top AMD Athlon 5600+2.80 /4gb ram/400gb hd/500gb ext hd/dvd burner
Acer 22" wide screen And Vista home premium
It has a Geforce 6150 SE integrated video card /I have ordered a Geforce 8600 GTS 512 card
I need to get a bigger power supply maybe a 600w or 700w but I don't know witch one will fit a HP case ??
Can anyone help me with this ??
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated , thank you for your time.
Kevin

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
A lot of pre-assembled, e.g., HP, Dell, use proprietary PSUs, they wire the mobo diffenetly. Don't know if that's the case with yours but probably safest to go with a PSU designed for HPs. Google PSUs for your particular computer. As fir the quality of the PSU, if possible, get a good name brand if there are any out there than make HP PSUs

Dragracer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I took a look again and it has a ATX 300w ps/so i'm guessing that a atx 600w or 700w ps will work.
Thanks for your help.
Kevin

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
If it is in fact a standard sized ATX PSU, then swapping out another PSU shouldn't be a problem. Due to my prior experience with HP computers, I'm inclined to agree with g-paw and say that it is most likely proprietary. (dimensions of the PSU are change just slightly so that standard ATX PSU's will not fit in the case)

If you have a friend or another PSU that you can borrow, just check if it will fit in your case and has the correct hook-ups for your board. As for the PSU, I'd go with a quality 500-550W PSU. (Try Corsair, Seasonic, OCZ, or PCP&C) If you really want a high wattage PSU for future upgrades, etc. then try the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610/750. It is a top quality PSU and may still have a promo deal going on at newegg that makes it really affordable.