Will reformatting OS Hardrive affect secondary RAID0?

I have four hardrives in my computer.

Hard Drive 1 - operating system.
Hard Drive 2 - backups.
Hard Drive 3 and 4 - RAID0 for media

My question is will formatting the hardrive with the operating system affect the RAID0 setup?

Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about will reformatting hardrive affect secondary raid0
  1. So far as i know, anything installed will have to be reinstalled because the registry will be cleared. I could be wrong.
  2. You'll be fine.
  3. lucuis said:
    So far as i know, anything installed will have to be reinstalled because the registry will be cleared. I could be wrong.

I realise that if I had any programs installed on the RAID0 partition, I would have to reinstall them. I am taking more about data integrity.

Will I still be able to access all the files on the RAID0 partition or will it stop working once I reformat my seperate hard drive containing the operating system?
  4. Ok I talked to a guy on a IRC chatroom and he seemed to think. I would just need to reinstall the RAID drivers, which makes sense. Im gonna go for it.

Thanks again.
  5. Is the RAID-0 setup in software or with hardware (onboard controller) if its software you might have a hard time bringing it back.
  6. Hardware, I've about half way through the reinstall. So lets hope for the best
  7. If its hardware raid, its controlled by the controller - there's no need to worry about the raid array. You'll be fine.
  8. Heya,

As mentioned, unless you're using RAID via software through the OS, you're going to be fine. It's treated as a separate volume with your `media' on it. When you format, the only disk affected is the one you choose to format. Hardware doesn't care if Windows is around or not.

Cheers,
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Computer Hard Drives Formatting Storage