Sign in with
Your question

Will reformatting OS Hardrive affect secondary RAID0?

Last response: in Storage
November 13, 2008 9:51:03 PM

I have four hardrives in my computer.

Hard Drive 1 - operating system.
Hard Drive 2 - backups.
Hard Drive 3 and 4 - RAID0 for media

My question is will formatting the hardrive with the operating system affect the RAID0 setup?

Thanks
November 13, 2008 10:10:09 PM

So far as i know, anything installed will have to be reinstalled because the registry will be cleared. I could be wrong.
November 13, 2008 10:25:30 PM

lucuis said:
So far as i know, anything installed will have to be reinstalled because the registry will be cleared. I could be wrong.

I realise that if I had any programs installed on the RAID0 partition, I would have to reinstall them. I am taking more about data integrity.

Will I still be able to access all the files on the RAID0 partition or will it stop working once I reformat my seperate hard drive containing the operating system?
November 13, 2008 10:34:28 PM

Ok I talked to a guy on a IRC chatroom and he seemed to think. I would just need to reinstall the RAID drivers, which makes sense. Im gonna go for it.

Thanks again.
November 13, 2008 11:39:28 PM

Is the RAID-0 setup in software or with hardware (onboard controller) if its software you might have a hard time bringing it back.
November 14, 2008 12:02:01 AM

Hardware, I've about half way through the reinstall. So lets hope for the best
November 14, 2008 12:08:33 AM

If its hardware raid, its controlled by the controller - there's no need to worry about the raid array. You'll be fine.
November 14, 2008 2:06:44 PM

Heya,

As mentioned, unless you're using RAID via software through the OS, you're going to be fine. It's treated as a separate volume with your `media' on it. When you format, the only disk affected is the one you choose to format. Hardware doesn't care if Windows is around or not.

Cheers,
!