Sign in with
Your question

This Is what 3 Water Cooled GTX's Look Like New Update

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 29, 2007 5:42:24 PM
December 29, 2007 6:31:41 PM

Ahh I see you went with the in-series water-circuit option even for three cards.
I only have 2 watercooled GTXs but I T'd off the water feed and fed the cards in parallel. Also each branch of the T has its own pump to make sure all the water doesn't just go through one card.
The reason I did that was in a setup like yours, the last card won't get much cooling as the water's already hot from the other(s). I bet thats even more true with a 3 card setup.
Related resources
December 29, 2007 6:37:47 PM

There's a 5 degree different s between the top and bottom card at all times.
December 29, 2007 7:05:01 PM

Thats because water has a relatively high thermal capacity compared to most other things 4.2kj/k/g or something i think ;)  alu and copper only ahve about 0.9(dont quote this, however you can quote the water one) meaning water hold aobut 4x as much heat for its rise in temp
December 29, 2007 7:12:04 PM

^Try some Flourinert instead of water :) 
December 29, 2007 7:22:26 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^Try some Flourinert instead of water :) 

Why would anyone want to do that? FC-72 has considerably lower heat capacity and thermal conductivity than plain old cheap water, same with all the FC's. Unless you're liquid cooling something with extremely high potential differences where you actually need the high dielectric constant, it'd be a waste of money, especially considering how hard it is to prevent evaporation.
December 31, 2007 4:28:25 PM

Lionhardt said:
wow

ditto, I would really like to see some fraps benchmarking with this setup and see what the triple SLI is all about. Not only that this is well earned bragging rights. Look at all the pci-e power connectors, its like the giant squid feeding a small indian village.
December 31, 2007 4:52:10 PM

For what you paid in waterblocks, you could've almost went ahead and bought another GTX...to show what they look like still in the retail box. :) 

Water is nice to cool with and and fun to tinker with.
December 31, 2007 4:52:59 PM

Nice. If you're going to waste $3500+ on a computer, that's how you do it.

I'd never spend that much for a system, but that doesn't mean I won't drool over it. Damn that's nice. Must've been a pain getting the water cooling setup on that system. What do you have your cards/CPU OC'd to?
December 31, 2007 7:07:43 PM

This is what a GTX from EVGA looks like fresh out of the box.

December 31, 2007 7:19:11 PM

deuce271 said:
Nice. If you're going to waste $3500+ on a computer, that's how you do it.

I'd never spend that much for a system, but that doesn't mean I won't drool over it. Damn that's nice. Must've been a pain getting the water cooling setup on that system. What do you have your cards/CPU OC'd to?

I don't have anything OC, not until I get a bigger PSU.
December 31, 2007 7:25:20 PM

Darn, you're running all that on 700w?
December 31, 2007 8:20:46 PM

I would just have linked the water pipes between the first 2 and pair the third one with the SB. That way it would be balanced.
December 31, 2007 8:37:04 PM

I would only get that if I had a 1.2Kw PSU.
January 3, 2008 7:40:14 PM

What length did you cut the tubing for the short couplings between cards?

I'm planning on doing the same thing (waiting for my NF78 and extra card) and was also wondering about the temperature differences between cards when running in series. It's good to know it's not a problem. I'm planning on using Fluid XP+ EXT non-conductive coolant.

Conductivity (Thermal, Conductance (k), Calculated) Approx. 3.6 Btu-in./Hr-ft²-ºF
Conductivity (Thermal, Specific Heat (C), Calculated) Approx. .94 Btu/lb/F.

Hopefully that'll do the job. :-)
January 3, 2008 8:02:51 PM

Question: What is the inlet water temp of the first card and the outlet water temp temp of the third card?

Just wondering how much the water temp is rising across all three.

Very impressive by the way!
January 3, 2008 9:41:09 PM

Question... How are you running TRI-SLI on a 680i chipset, thought it would only work on 780i
a b Î Nvidia
January 3, 2008 10:09:12 PM

Lionhardt said:
wow

Yeah i'd say...
January 3, 2008 10:14:31 PM

Quote:
What length did you cut the tubing for the short couplings between cards?

I'm planning on doing the same thing (waiting for my NF78 and extra card) and was also wondering about the temperature differences between cards when running in series. It's good to know it's not a problem. I'm planning on using Fluid XP+ EXT non-conductive coolant.

There is no tubing, the short coupling screw into the water blocks. Inlet temp is 42C outlet 47C after idling for and hour or two.
Quote:
Question... How are you running TRI-SLI on a 680i chipset, thought it would only work on 780i

Both 680i and 780i are the only two that you can run TRI-SLI, only difference is 680i has 16x-8x-16x and the 780i has 16x-16x-16x.
January 3, 2008 10:25:17 PM

Quote:
Both 680i and 780i are the only two that you can run TRI-SLI, only different is 680i has 16x-8x-16x and the 780i has 16x-16x-16x.

I can't believe he didn't know that off the top of his head.
January 3, 2008 11:14:15 PM

Could you post some Crysis benches?

That is a very impressive setup. Just goes to show that >1000W PSUs are truly unnecessary. That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one if I could afford it :D 
January 3, 2008 11:17:33 PM

chookman said:

With a 680i chipset you can run it but the third card will be limited to 8x, the 780i has 3 16x slots.
January 3, 2008 11:17:47 PM

baddad said:
There is no tubing, the short coupling screw into the water blocks. Inlet temp is 42C outlet 47C after idling for and hour or two.

I was planning on getting the Danger Den fittings and blocks but I don't think DD's fittings would fit that well. They also usually just have the "barbs" to connect tubing to the fittings.

Are those Koolance fittings and blocks?
January 3, 2008 11:46:58 PM

I wonder why the card in the middle is green. Is that a different brand rather than eVGA like the other 2?
January 4, 2008 12:08:06 AM

Quote:
That is a very impressive setup. Just goes to show that >1000W PSUs are truly unnecessary. That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one if I could afford it :D 

Well actually a 1000W supply is necessary and I have one on the way. First it's the only one with enough connectors and with my 700W the minute I try to play Crysis in very high setting the machine shuts off. :ouch: 

Quote:
Are those Koolance fittings and blocks?

Yes.

Quote:
I wonder why the card in the middle is green. Is that a different brand rather than eVGA like the other
2?

That card is the second one I got from EVGA and I can't tell you why it's a lighter green then the other two but it works the same.
January 4, 2008 1:04:51 AM

That is sweet dude.
January 4, 2008 2:00:14 AM

Thanks baddad! I'm glad I saw this before buying the Danger Den fittings. I hadn't even noticed that Koolance had the SLI spacer couplings before seeing your picture. They even have different lengths to use for dual SLI setups in different slots.
a b Î Nvidia
January 4, 2008 3:51:02 AM

Odd with the power related shut off....even 3 ultras(from what i have read....and even that seems high) take 460(and ultras are more power hogging by about 30 watts per card) watts then add another 200(if that...) or so for the rest of the system....

I guess all the cards are overloading the 12 volt rails(or more likely the virtual rails)...Are you getting a PSU with a single rail?
January 4, 2008 4:42:00 AM

baddad said:
Well actually a 1000W supply is necessary and I have one on the way. First it's the only one with enough connectors and with my 700W the minute I try to play Crysis in very high setting the machine shuts off. :ouch: 

My point was that your build will never draw >1000W. It may take a 1000W rated PSU to run the system, but it will never actually need that much power.

Seriously though, you will have to buy a lot of carbon offsets to get Al Gore to approve of that thing :lol: 
a b Î Nvidia
January 4, 2008 4:58:10 AM

homerdog said:
Seriously though, you will have to buy a lot of carbon offsets to get Al Gore to approve of that thing :lol: 

Post of the day!

Replace "thing" with "monster"
January 4, 2008 5:51:10 AM

just one word. "insane"
January 4, 2008 7:51:26 AM

I doubt it could run Doom. :sarcastic:  Nice setup anyway.
January 4, 2008 9:22:56 AM

Quote:
guess all the cards are overloading the 12 volt rails(or more likely the virtual rails)...Are you getting a PSU with a single rail?

I'm getting this one with 4 rails.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

Quote:
My point was that your build will never draw >1000W. It may take a 1000W rated PSU to run the system, but it will never actually need that much power.

Besides the 3 GTX's I have 7 Hard drives, 5 in a raid 5 set and two raid 0 set, a raid 3 card, dvd drive and the Koolance system so at peak it could be pulling 825W's.

January 4, 2008 11:39:48 AM

I'd like to see some benches in crysis as well
January 4, 2008 12:35:29 PM

nice but scary for leaks, you must still be setting them up in the pic because I don't see any fluid in the lines. I was originally going to H20 my GTX's but with stock coolers and Riva setting fans to max sets the cards temps about the same as water without all the extra cost. I would be curious to see temps on those. Mine idle 55C and 59C and load 65C and 69C OC'ed.
January 4, 2008 1:50:36 PM

I'm new to water cooling... can you explain what the black cables in the top and bottom water-cooling units are for (the ones with the green zip-ties on them?)

Also, this looks difficult to setup... can you post the order in which you mounted? was it: cooling onto cards, card into mobo x 3, connection, or what? did you have to mount all 3 at the same time??
January 4, 2008 1:51:18 PM

are you going to move to a quad core cpu too? :-) jesus that's a nice setup though. grats, you lucky dog!
January 4, 2008 2:22:09 PM

In 3 years, taking pictures of a gtx will be laughable. In 3 years his rig will still be cool to look at.

Why anyone is raining on this guys parade is beyond me.

His setup is ELITE.

If you have the money and the balls to do it, I say BRAVO!

I'm proud of people like this. Pushing the boundaries of human capabilities is what life is about.

Good job!

a b Î Nvidia
January 4, 2008 2:28:21 PM

Well with trip points that high your gonna be able to get a dangerous amount of power :) 

@ truromeo4juliet - Those look like temperature sensors....
January 4, 2008 2:42:31 PM

Quote:
I was originally going to H20 my GTX's but with stock coolers and Riva setting fans to max sets the cards temps about the same as water without all the extra cost. I would be curious to see temps on those. Mine idle 55C and 59C and load 65C and 69C OC'ed.

I have a 8800GTS 640 and with 1/2" H2O and Swiftech GPU block it never breaks 48C at load, that's running the core at ~700mhz
January 4, 2008 3:24:00 PM

bildo123 said:
its like the giant squid feeding a small indian village.

And the weirdest analogy award goes to...
January 4, 2008 3:50:00 PM

Very nice job! Congratulations!
January 4, 2008 4:06:29 PM

Three GTXs, water cooled... first thing I thought of clicking the link was "wow, is this the most expensive fishbowl ever, or what?"
Anonymous
January 4, 2008 4:21:16 PM

truromeo4juliet said:
I'm new to water cooling... can you explain what the black cables in the top and bottom water-cooling units are for (the ones with the green zip-ties on them?)

Also, this looks difficult to setup... can you post the order in which you mounted? was it: cooling onto cards, card into mobo x 3, connection, or what? did you have to mount all 3 at the same time??

Those are for thermal monitoring. They record the temperature and probably display it somewhere on the front of his case on an LCD panel.

BTW nice rig bud... very nice
January 4, 2008 5:12:48 PM

Quote:

Those are temperature sensors.
Anonymous
January 4, 2008 5:16:04 PM

LoL thank god its water cooled cause it has NOOOOO Air flooooow
January 4, 2008 5:28:04 PM

warezme said:
nice but scary for leaks, you must still be setting them up in the pic because I don't see any fluid in the lines. I was originally going to H20 my GTX's but with stock coolers and Riva setting fans to max sets the cards temps about the same as water without all the extra cost. I would be curious to see temps on those. Mine idle 55C and 59C and load 65C and 69C OC'ed.

With my EXOS2 fan speed set to 6, 10 being high, the idle temp's are 42C first cards diode and 47C at the third card.
under load same fan speed 54c at the first card and 59C at the third.
January 4, 2008 5:44:59 PM

Impressive, but might need to work on some cable management in there. Still, you have quite a rig there. If you had the time to do some re-wiring of those molex connections and some soldering/shrinkwrapping you could clean a lot of those up.

Can you post some benchmarks on 3dmark06, Crysis benches, etc? Just curious!!
January 4, 2008 5:45:18 PM

Quote:
Wow, thats gonna be expensive when it starts leaking.....Good luck, in 5-6 months, there will probably be a single card that blows away all 3 of those.

Be nice. The op took the time to photograph his rig and was nice enough to share the pics... I wager 99% of us have never seen a rig like that. It's definitely excessive for my tastes (and to a lesser extent budget), but I did enjoy the pics and reading the comments.
!