Sign in with
Your question

Can't Burn Rewritable DVD

Last response: in Storage
November 14, 2008 2:49:20 AM

Hello,

first of all, if this is the wrong place to ask, please tell me where else or someone move it of course.

So here is my issue:

I have a problem with my DVD-burner that has always worked well,
apart from the fact it wouldn't succeed in burning Dual-Layers.
But then I found that apparently it wasn't successful all together, so I'm fine with that.

The problem now is that I can't burn Rewritables.
I don't know where to exactly start to explain, because quite random things happen.
Like for example, I want to burn some files to a brand new Rewritable DVD.
Usually it just goes ahead and burns, but for example Nero fails to verify it.
Then I format it again and for example both Nero and Ashampoo say it's not an empty disc anymore.
I also tried it with Alcohol, first creating an image of the files though,
but then burning that image, which it says it succeeds to.
However, when I check to see if there's anything on it, any computer says it's empty.
I can't use any of these DVDs anymore until (I think) when I restart the computer.

So has anyone heard of this issue and how can I fix it?
I never changed anything about the system besides the motherboard one time.
But I just let it install all hardware automatically like I did with the previous one.
Updating it... I don't know how exactly.
I've looked for Firmware but on the official website I can find a model with almost the same name,
but then it misses one letter, so I don't know if that matters.

Also, apparently it does simply burn finalized CDs and DVDs.
You know, audio-albums, movies, things like that don't seem to be a problem.
It also plays about anything, but I CAN NOT create backups to Rewritables.
I guess I could use a pile of Writables, but I already know I want to revise them.
So I'd only end up with outdated copies I wouldn't use anyway.

More about : burn rewritable dvd

November 14, 2008 3:36:35 AM

I don't have your answer, but you left out one critical piece of information.

What is the exact model number of the DVD burner?
November 14, 2008 3:46:58 AM

Zorg said:
I don't have your answer, but you left out one critical piece of information.

What is the exact model number of the DVD burner?

It's a NEC ND-3520AW.
The one closest I could find on the official website excludes the W.
Could be it supports the same basics and this is a variant, I don't know.
Related resources
November 14, 2008 5:12:04 AM

You have to be very careful when updating the firmware, you can brick it very easily. It probably is a color or something but you have to verify it or you may be sorry.

Call tech support or email them about the "W" and maybe the problems you are having.

I assume you are using good disks.

I just did a quick search for "NEC ND-3520AW" and came up with this site. It appears to be a firmware hack thread, but you might be able to get some insight. Maybe even try the hacked firmware, AT YOUR OWN RISK. :non:  ;) 

Liggy And Dee NEC ND-3520AW Modified Firmware V 2.U5 Results and Support Thread - Club CDFreaks - Knowledge is Power
November 14, 2008 5:16:18 AM

Yeah, I think I saw it earlier today, or at least a similar site with modified Firmware.
But like you said... I rather not mess around with that.
I guess I'll have to try and find a contact at NEC.

By the way, I use... different brands, but lately I have Philips.
I guess that must be good since they invented optical discs?
November 14, 2008 5:36:17 AM

That thread has 12 pages, I would be reading them, for fun if nothing else.

Drives aren't that expensive, I would also probably flash it with their firmware just to see how good it really was.

I got a Linksys WRT54GL (the L is for Linux) and immediately flashed it with the DD-WRT firmware hack to raise the transmit gain and... well... for the fun of it.

It worked like a champ and if I do another wireless router I will hack it as well.

Be bold, hack the damn thing, at your own risk. :lol: 
November 14, 2008 5:39:22 AM

Zorg said:
That thread has 12 pages, I would be reading them, for fun if nothing else.

Drives aren't that expensive, I would also probably flash it with their firmware just to see how good it really was.

I got a Linksys WRT54GL (the L is for Linux) and immediately flashed it with the DD-WRT firmware hack to raise the transmit gain and... well... for the fun of it.

It worked like a champ and if I do another wireless router I will hack it as well.

Be bold, hack the damn thing, at your own risk. :lol: 

Yeah, maybe... but it should work, it always has. :S
And it's my dad's... well I'm on this computer mostly but yeah...
I can always try one of the like... 2 or 3 other burners we have in other computers.
But I waited with that for the whole hassle of getting it out, putting it in, etc.
And if there maybe is an answer to this weird problem. :) 
November 14, 2008 5:59:47 AM

They slide in and out relatively easy and that would certainly rule out the burner. If it is the burner, which is 50 50 then definitely hack it.

If not, hack it anyway. :lol: 
November 14, 2008 12:27:10 PM

I hope you didn't use the wrong disks cause I'm getting the idea.
November 14, 2008 8:21:25 PM

Narr said:
I hope you didn't use the wrong disks cause I'm getting the idea.

Wrong discs?
Well, I've used the same Philips-ones before, now they all of a sudden don't work.
I've also tried a bunch of other brands, nothing really works.
Besides writables of course...

Actually, I just tried to play a normal CD, an official music-CD, the thing won't read it anymore.
Unlike in the last weeks...
November 14, 2008 8:43:44 PM

Did you try another drive to rule out the mobo/OS?
November 14, 2008 8:45:14 PM

Zorg said:
Did you try another drive to rule out the mobo?

I was just about to get one out of another computer.
I'm not sure if they're good though, it could be there's another NEC or one with the text 'PlexWrite' on it.
That's what I kind of remember but I'll have a look upstairs right now.
November 15, 2008 12:24:16 AM

If they fail in yours, then run them in the other computer to confirm that they are good.
November 15, 2008 3:21:23 AM

Zorg said:
If they fail in yours, then run them in the other computer to confirm that they are good.

Well, I swapped around the drive for another NEC.
Which is only a couple of months older and can't burn Dual-Layers, which the other one failed to do anyway.
For the rest it seems to be exactly the same besides it's model-number and color.
But it turns out this one does everything fine and smoothly too.

So, could the other one just have broken of usage or something?
Someone else also said I should perhaps use compressed air to blow it out.
Well, I don't have compressed air but I did blow inside it carefully.
Didn't help any... but I really don't know what's up with it.
November 15, 2008 3:34:01 AM

I would have to agree, it's bad drive. You can take it apart and try to clean the lens or just throw it away.
November 15, 2008 3:43:45 AM

Zorg said:
I would have to agree, it's bad drive. You can take it apart and try to clean the lens or just throw it away.

Yeah, I think I'll just try to clean it or something.

But if I was to buy a new burner, what brand would you (or most people) recommend?
Also, is there a difference in the quality of the burning itself between different brands or burners?
Personally, I would instinctively go with something like Philips again, would that be good enough?
Oh, and does it even matter if I'd buy one of either 60 or 25 Euros? So more expensive or cheaper...
November 15, 2008 5:30:14 PM

I don't know the pricing, but I would just get a Samsung, NEC etc. Whatever is on sale at Newegg.

If you are concerned about it, then you can get up to date at CD and DVD Burners - Club CDFreaks.
!