Vampires...

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft,alt.culture.vampires (More info?)

Hello ACV, this one's spawned out of AGSC. Please, jump in and do what
you will....
Byers ex machina wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:37:46 +0100, Phorse 5
> <daphorse-x3@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> >> According to lore, the basis of a vampire is the reanimated corpse of
> >> a human. So, a vampire, being a dead thing, can't sustain or generate
> >> blood of it's own (nor any other bodily fluid).
> >
> >Ergo it cannot reproduce, you say? How about as a virus type scenario?
> >If the vamp is re animated by the virus, and infects others, it's a sort
> >of reproduction. It's just much more cellular (the viral reproduction).
> >Maybe the virus can create fluids which are transferred during
> >copulation. However this is still only infection, not really
> >reproduction in any mammalian sense.
>
> Those infected would still have started out human, as opposed to being
> born a vampire.
> The only possible meaning of the term "true blood" vampire, would be a
> vampire born the human way, and not the way you speak of.

True. Blade must have got its inspiration from somewhere. I doubt they
came up with the idea of the 'true blood' vampire. There is the
possibility of course that a true blood is actually a warm, mortal
human, who just happened to get an unfortunate collection of genetic
defects and allergies, requiring them to avoid the sun and consume
copious amounts of raw blood.

Given humans originally ate raw food (way back before we found matches),
the possibility of this trait collection surviving, if it ever happened,
while minimal, is not out of the question. There are certainly people
about today who have several of the physical symptoms normally ascribed
to vampires. Besides the undead part - although there are the people who
fall asleep and go into a state only seen in hibernating animals and
reptiles (ultra slow heartbeat and such). Heck, it was commonly thought
lots of people could be buried alive - we once buried everyone with a
bell on a 7ft string to yank in case they woke up down there.

> >> Also, as the blood's main purpose is to provide oxygen for the bodily
> >> functions, and as vampires aren't supposed to be breathing in the
> >> first place, why would they need blood flowing through their veins at
> >> all? We must therefore assume that blood would be ingested simply to
> >> fuel the kinds of mystical powers that would allow them to exist in
> >> the first place.
> >
> >They don't need blood flowing through their veins for the human purpose.
> >Maybe to feed the virus and keep the tissue viable? Or to sustain the
> >mystical powers, or both.
>
> Why would they need to ingest the blood of others for nourishment, if
> their bodies produced blood of their own?

Blood insufficiencies. Such as iron, haemoglobin, etc. If they can't eat
veges, are anaemic, and can't eat cooked food, then it's raw meat and
mugs of blood for breakfast lunch and dinner, right?

> >> There is no vampire lore that even vaguely supports vampires
> >> reproducing in a "natural" capacity, unless it's come out of Hollywood
> >> or novels by Anne Rice and her ilk.
> >
> >So just because one set of myths says that there is no natural way of
> >reproducing it means that any other is wrong?
>
> One set of myth? No set of myth supports the idea.
> And Blade isn't myth...

Where does Blade get its ideas from then? And it is part of the overall
myth, just not highly regarded since it is Hollywood.

> >The scary thing about
> >vamps reproducing is that it would mean they can exist independently of
> >humans, rather than relying on them. Possibly why birth was not in
> >original lore?
>
> Every single piece of vampire myth *and* Hollywood says vampires need
> to feed on humans to survive, so I'm not sure where this is coming
> from...

You have repeatedly said birth is not in the myths, I was simply trying
to provide an explanation... I don't know where Blade got its idea from
(for 'true bloods'). Angel has a Vampire father, and Blade's pop was a
vamp too. I think in some lore vamps can make babies? Or do they somehow
possess someone elses?

--
from: Mr. J D Cooper aka Phorse 5 [Force 5]
Remove the number(s) from the email address

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft,alt.culture.vampires (More info?)

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 23:27:06 +0100, Phorse 5
<daphorse-x3@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>> Those infected would still have started out human, as opposed to being
>> born a vampire.
>> The only possible meaning of the term "true blood" vampire, would be a
>> vampire born the human way, and not the way you speak of.
>
>True. Blade must have got its inspiration from somewhere. I doubt they
>came up with the idea of the 'true blood' vampire.

Blade was/is a running comic book series, so a certain established
mythos with terms that sound more clever than they are wouldn't be
unheard of...

>There is the
>possibility of course that a true blood is actually a warm, mortal
>human, who just happened to get an unfortunate collection of genetic
>defects and allergies, requiring them to avoid the sun and consume
>copious amounts of raw blood.
>Given humans originally ate raw food (way back before we found matches),
>the possibility of this trait collection surviving, if it ever happened,
>while minimal, is not out of the question. There are certainly people
>about today who have several of the physical symptoms normally ascribed
>to vampires. Besides the undead part - although there are the people who
>fall asleep and go into a state only seen in hibernating animals and
>reptiles (ultra slow heartbeat and such). Heck, it was commonly thought
>lots of people could be buried alive - we once buried everyone with a
>bell on a 7ft string to yank in case they woke up down there.

I fail to see what any of this has to do with anything...

>> Why would they need to ingest the blood of others for nourishment, if
>> their bodies produced blood of their own?
>
>Blood insufficiencies. Such as iron, haemoglobin, etc. If they can't eat
>veges, are anaemic, and can't eat cooked food, then it's raw meat and
>mugs of blood for breakfast lunch and dinner, right?

Why would a walking corpse being kept alive by dark magicks or
whatever need human nourishment?

>> One set of myth? No set of myth supports the idea.
>> And Blade isn't myth...
>
>Where does Blade get its ideas from then? And it is part of the overall
>myth, just not highly regarded since it is Hollywood.

I'd consider myth to be older than 6 years or so...

>> Every single piece of vampire myth *and* Hollywood says vampires need
>> to feed on humans to survive, so I'm not sure where this is coming
>> from...
>
>You have repeatedly said birth is not in the myths, I was simply trying
>to provide an explanation... I don't know where Blade got its idea from
>(for 'true bloods').

Out of some writer's ass, most likely.

>Angel has a Vampire father,

Uh, no. He eventually became one, which was considered an
impossibility...

>and Blade's pop was a
>vamp too. I think in some lore vamps can make babies? Or do they somehow
>possess someone elses?

Nonsense. There's no damned babies.

--
byerstheoblivious

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 13:21:21 +0100, Phorse 5 wrote:

>ANd I got the blade pop wrong. His pop may or may not have been vamp -
>his mum was bit when she was full term, and the vampness made it into
>his blood before she 'died' as a human. Whether it was a virus, or a
>dark magick, that's how he got to be a bit vampy.
>
>So, according to the mythos you ascribe to, what happens when a woman
>who is about to give birth is vampified? Normally she dies and returns
>as a vamp, right? What of her unborn child? What if it is born before,
>or taken out post her last breath? ...

If I recall correctly, the story is that Blade's mother became a
vampire AFTER she became pregnant, and therefore Blade was born a
vampire.

AoW

Al On Wheelz wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 13:21:21 +0100, Phorse 5 wrote:
>
> >ANd I got the blade pop wrong. His pop may or may not have been vamp -
> >his mum was bit when she was full term, and the vampness made it into
> >his blood before she 'died' as a human. Whether it was a virus, or a
> >dark magick, that's how he got to be a bit vampy.
> >
> >So, according to the mythos you ascribe to, what happens when a woman
> >who is about to give birth is vampified? Normally she dies and returns
> >as a vamp, right? What of her unborn child? What if it is born before,
> >or taken out post her last breath? ...
>
> If I recall correctly, the story is that Blade's mother became a
> vampire AFTER she became pregnant, and therefore Blade was born a
> vampire.

that's what i said in the first para, isn't it?

--
from: Mr. J D Cooper aka Phorse 5 [Force 5]
Remove the number(s) from the email address
for fastest reply. More sig here:
© http://phorse.netfirms.com/sig.html ©
Fireball Holdings © 2001 - 2004
ABN: 23 939 806 835

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft,alt.culture.vampires (More info?)

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:55:20 +0100, Phorse 5
<daphorse-x3@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Either way the vamp needs blood, so what's it matter? Maybe it's a
>mystical virus? Blade had the idea of it being something that could be
>vaccinated against or cured, as though it were a physical 'virus' ...
>But there is nothing far fetched about it being fought by mystical
>'antibodies' either, sort of.

Whatever, this is my stop, I'm going off here.

>ah, ok ... could have sworn she was just being a manipulative bitch when
>she got pregnant, and was made into a vamp later, after he refused to do
>it when she asked him, after she told him she was pregnant...

I don't know what to tell you, other than the fact that you're
wrong...

>> Yes it is. Vampires have rarely been sexual in that way. Though the
>> feeding and seducing of victims have been considered sensual in nature
>> ever since Dracula was written.
>
>So you are saying they were not sexual beings until Angel?

No, but they're only sexual beings in pop culture, not in myths and
legends. There are no ancient tales of vampires sneaking through your
window at night, humping you in your sleep...

>> >Indeed. I'm a little jealous. I'd like to look like that and do the
>> >things he can do, but then, who wouldn't want to be a semi-superhero?
>>
>> A superhero, presumably.
>
>Well, I did not want to call him that, but if you insist...

No, I was just answering your question. A superhero wouldn't want to
be a semi-superhero, since he'd already be super, so semi-superness
would be a step down.

>> Still, there's no need to be advertising it.
>
>Why not?

Because then everyone would know...

>> I fail to see how anyone would know, since it's such an absurd
>> question, even by my standards.
>
>What was the question again?

I have no idea, but I'm sure it was absurd.

--
byerstheoblivious