Sign in with
Your question

Should I build my own HTPC or buy an HP?...

Last response: in Systems
December 21, 2007 3:21:24 PM

I was looking into building an HTPC, but then I came across this one:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10091605&catid=20217

Specs are here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3347740&lang=en

Could I build a similar unit for that amount or less? I know it's refurbished, but I'm not too worried about that. The price is Canadian, but the dollar is pretty much at par now.

Thoughts?

More about : build htpc buy

December 21, 2007 3:51:37 PM

hello again :-)

I don't think you would be able to buy something of that spec for as little as that as that is a pretty good deal, but I still think building your own is better in any situation so if you can stretch your budget a little then I would go for it.

December 22, 2007 2:52:34 AM

Any suggestions? I'm looking for an HTPC. I'd like to drop an HD DVD and/or Blu-Ray drive into it eventually, so I want it to be able to handle that. No gaming though
Related resources
December 22, 2007 3:13:39 AM

thats a pretty good price. i dont see why it wouldnt be able to handle a blu-ray or hd dvd drive
December 22, 2007 5:35:10 AM

Like some have already said its a good deal, very nice system for the price.

Only issue I have with it is I couln't find the PSU specs, looks like its not even listed. So you dont even know the wattage/amps let alone brand and model. Im sure with some digging you could find out. If you do any reading on these forums you know how important the PSU is.
a b α HP
December 22, 2007 5:50:34 AM

Just be aware that it only has a regular PCI slot, not a PCIe x1, x4, x8, or x16 card slot.

Therefore, you will need to buy a HDCP capable card that fits in the PCI slot in order to watch Blu-Ray/HD DVDs. The monitor/TV should also be HDCP capable.
December 22, 2007 2:17:27 PM

Quote:
Just be aware that it only has a regular PCI slot, not a PCIe x1, x4, x8, or x16 card slot.

I had assumed the video card was in the PCIe slot, although I guess it could be onboard
December 22, 2007 2:40:54 PM

The GPU is most likely onboard, but it does have a PCI-E X16 slot.
!