Should I build my own HTPC or buy an HP?...

I was looking into building an HTPC, but then I came across this one:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10091605&catid=20217

Specs are here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3347740&lang=en

Could I build a similar unit for that amount or less? I know it's refurbished, but I'm not too worried about that. The price is Canadian, but the dollar is pretty much at par now.

Thoughts?
7 answers Last reply
More about should build htpc
  1. hello again :-)

I don't think you would be able to buy something of that spec for as little as that as that is a pretty good deal, but I still think building your own is better in any situation so if you can stretch your budget a little then I would go for it.
  2. Any suggestions? I'm looking for an HTPC. I'd like to drop an HD DVD and/or Blu-Ray drive into it eventually, so I want it to be able to handle that. No gaming though
  3. thats a pretty good price. i dont see why it wouldnt be able to handle a blu-ray or hd dvd drive
  4. Like some have already said its a good deal, very nice system for the price.

Only issue I have with it is I couln't find the PSU specs, looks like its not even listed. So you dont even know the wattage/amps let alone brand and model. Im sure with some digging you could find out. If you do any reading on these forums you know how important the PSU is.
  5. Just be aware that it only has a regular PCI slot, not a PCIe x1, x4, x8, or x16 card slot.

Therefore, you will need to buy a HDCP capable card that fits in the PCI slot in order to watch Blu-Ray/HD DVDs. The monitor/TV should also be HDCP capable.
  6. Quote:
    Just be aware that it only has a regular PCI slot, not a PCIe x1, x4, x8, or x16 card slot.

I had assumed the video card was in the PCIe slot, although I guess it could be onboard
  7. The GPU is most likely onboard, but it does have a PCI-E X16 slot.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Hewlett Packard Systems Product