Sign in with
Your question

"File Open" / "Save As" (Windows Common Dialog) Takes Too Long To Open

Last response: in Windows XP
May 26, 2010 5:09:20 AM

I was having this problem on my old install of XP, which desperately needed a new install.

In any case, I'm now using a freshly installed version of XP, and everything has been running perfectly for about 2 weeks. Suddenly, this one problem reappears: The File Open / Save As dialog box (aka Windows Common Control / comctl32.dll) takes forever to open (20 seconds to 60 seconds).

I just did a chkdsk and defrag, and that did not solve the problem. Also, there are no network drives connected which could be slowing things down. This happens in both MS programs (such as Notepad) and 3rd party programs (such as Firefox).

Suggestions (other than "Format C:") are welcomed.

More about : file open save windows common dialog takes long open

May 27, 2010 7:18:05 PM

AARRGGHHH said:
I was having this problem on my old install of XP, which desperately needed a new install.

In any case, I'm now using a freshly installed version of XP, and everything has been running perfectly for about 2 weeks. Suddenly, this one problem reappears: The File Open / Save As dialog box (aka Windows Common Control / comctl32.dll) takes forever to open (20 seconds to 60 seconds).

I just did a chkdsk and defrag, and that did not solve the problem. Also, there are no network drives connected which could be slowing things down. This happens in both MS programs (such as Notepad) and 3rd party programs (such as Firefox).

Suggestions (other than "Format C:") are welcomed.

You have too many applications installed, OR you do not have enough RAM memory installed, OR microsoft automatic updates are bogging the system down too much.
click my computer
click control panel
click add remove software
look on the list
What applications are installed?

Click my computer
click control panel
click system
How much memory is installed?

Use system restore to set the drive back to a date before the problem started.
m
l
May 28, 2010 8:56:34 PM

Wow you were WAY off (but thank you for trying). The problem was coming from a network location in my places bar. When a network computer was shut off, it would cause Open / Save As to hang before starting.
m
l
May 28, 2010 9:02:00 PM

Have you tried system file checker? Go to Start - Run and type sfc /scannow Leave a space after the sfc
m
l
!