"File Open" / "Save As" (Windows Common Dialog) Takes Too Long To Open

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
I was having this problem on my old install of XP, which desperately needed a new install.

In any case, I'm now using a freshly installed version of XP, and everything has been running perfectly for about 2 weeks. Suddenly, this one problem reappears: The File Open / Save As dialog box (aka Windows Common Control / comctl32.dll) takes forever to open (20 seconds to 60 seconds).

I just did a chkdsk and defrag, and that did not solve the problem. Also, there are no network drives connected which could be slowing things down. This happens in both MS programs (such as Notepad) and 3rd party programs (such as Firefox).

Suggestions (other than "Format C:") are welcomed.

You have too many applications installed, OR you do not have enough RAM memory installed, OR microsoft automatic updates are bogging the system down too much.
click my computer
click control panel
click add remove software
look on the list
What applications are installed?

Click my computer
click control panel
click system
How much memory is installed?

Use system restore to set the drive back to a date before the problem started.

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Wow you were WAY off (but thank you for trying). The problem was coming from a network location in my places bar. When a network computer was shut off, it would cause Open / Save As to hang before starting.

NTech

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
I know this is an old one but I just had this problem on an XP machine.
AARRGGHHH's solution was the closest.
In my case it was a desktop link to network location that no longer existed. Very frustrating for an hour or so but this thread pointed me in the right direction

NTech

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Another thought that might help others.
Whenever, I notice an abnormal slowdown like this, I always temporarily disable my network adaptor to see if things speed up. In this case, the 'Save As' dialog instantly returned to normal speed when the networking was switched off. This put me in the area of it being an unresponsive network connection and then AARRGGHHH's solution confirmed it.