250mm fan and heat sink question

Dave726

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
I have a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017, I want to OC it. I want to make sure that I can dispense the heat well enough. I ordered http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

but I have this case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811124121 and the 250 mm fan sits right over the mobo. That heat sink is too big if I remove the fan it will fit. I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134 on the CPU right now and I idol at 30-33C and at load 39-43C. MY case Temp sits at 16-18C

I want to OC to at least 3.0(to start i will go higher later on.) so im guessing I might go up 3 or 4C. I have 2 other fans both http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185054 one in the rear (reversed so it’s blowing air in onto the Heat sink.) And one in the front blowing air in.

So here is my question.

Does the 250mm fan make a difference? Is it a good idea to remove it?

Is the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003 worth it over the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134 for OCing?

thxs

G

use a smaller heatsink... the fans provide good airflow... try like a zalman 9500 or something

Dave726

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
If I sound like an ass sry that’s not my intentions.

Im not asking that.... I have a smaller one(ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7) its about half the size of the one I want to put on(XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm ). The Smaller one is on.

Im asking is it worth taking the 250 off maybe replacing it with a good 120 over the video cards or North Bridge to put on the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283.

What would give me cooler temps if I over clocked it to 3.4.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Just leave that big fan...it moves plenty of air as it is, it just spins slower. I don't see the need to replace it; what would you do with the gaping hole in the side of the case?

Honestly, it would probably cool more components than replacing it with a couple of smaller fans. The temps you listed in the first post seem to be pretty decent, so I would recommend leaving as-is.

Dave726

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
The temps listed are not OC. Im just concern with that fact that it will get too hot once I start to push it up to the 3.4 range.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Why not just try it, then? You have everything installed, see what temps you get. If you think they are too hot, try the other cooler. You will either be fine as it is, or you will have a huge hole in the side of your case due to not having that fan...unless it just has a big grille. I bet you will be fine, 3.0 on the stock heatsink is a simple bump of the FSB to 333.

If you don't get to 3.4, how disappointed are you going to be and why?

G

Oh, I must have read it wrong... I thought you were saying you would pick the arctic freezer 7 up... ok...

so yeah put the arctic 7 in ... and return the heatsink... or give it to me =D

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yep, leave the Arctic 7 on, leave the side fan on, take back the Xigmatek (or don't order it).

Bump your FSB from 266 to 333, leaving everything on AUTO.

Check your temps, see how they are. If they are good, start upping your FSB until you get where you want and temps seem good. Then, start adjusting your voltage and RAM timings. There are a lot of postings (and a few stickies) about how to OC duals and quads...check them out if you need pointers.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
250mm fan =bragging rights

True, they really aren't necessary, but it might make up for otherwise poor airflow in some lesser designed cases. I guarantee an Antec 900 would do a much better job at cooling than that huge fan in that case. I was just saying it does what it has to do...blow air over components because not much else does in there.

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
it sounded like you had both fans blowing into the case? that's going to hurt your temps, turn the back one around to blow out and make sure the cpu fan is blowing toward the back as well.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
i wonder if there is a device where it measure the speed of airflow inside the case!lol i wonder if use 3200rpm 120mm fan in the Antec 900 or 1200 will have the insdie of the case have a tornado!lol

about the massive fan it might provide cool air to the mobo BUT it might well be interupting the overall airflow inside the case.but i doubt you going to see much of a temp different.

before i had a case with 250mm fan on the side and a Zalman 9700LED it actually make the CPU 4C cooler with the side fan spinning!but i guess other heatsink with flattop wouldnt really benefit from it because the air is not getting to the fins.where as the 9700 got fins everywhere!

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
and you always want air coming in from the front buttom and out from the back top.this is based on a proven theory as hot air rises and cooler air will always be at the bottom.

blowing air from the back to the heatsink it might seem good at first.but until all the trap hot air inside heats up the whole case then your temp will really suffer as the cool air is coming in to cool the hot air inside the case.specially when you gaming where more heat being produced then the cool air coming in.

G

this is kinda off topic... I have a NZXT zero case and have the side panel blowing in... should I reverse some of those? i'm bad at side panel airflow things

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Front fan IN, side panel IN, back/top fans OUT. Its better to have that setup.

Ever stop to think why your hard drive cage is right behind your front intake, and the side blows right on your motherboard/CPU/GPU?

comrade

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I've got a Thermaltake V8003WBS case with a 600 RPM, 25 cm fan on the side blowing air down over the motherboard. I've also got two 120mm fans pulling air in on the front and a 120mm and 90mm fan pulling air out the back and another 90mm fan pulling air out the top.

To that, include the fans on the twin 8800 GTX OC's, the ASUS Silent Knight II on the CPU and the twin fans on the Silverstone Strider 1000 watt PSU, and the small fan on the chipset next to the CPU.

I think there's enough air moving in there to keep a 747 up in the air. If I keep all the fans on high, it kind of sounds like a 747 taxing.

This all keeps the CPU at 55-58 degrees when running at load at 3.5 ghz. It drops to about 44-48 degrees at idle.

I noticed a drop of about 10 degrees at load when I removed the stock Intel cooler and replaced it with the ASUS Silent Knight II unit. The system temp also seemed to drop about 10 degrees when I replaced the stock CPU cooler.

All the noise comes from the smaller, high RPM fans. The side fan is almost silent when running, but I'm convinced it makes quite a difference on the temp inside the case. I also noticed a difference when I took the time to clean up the wiring and route as much as possible around the back side of the MB, keeping it out of the air flow from the front of the case.

I've got an Intel X3360 CPU, (same as the Q9550), in an EVGA 790i Ultra MB, with four gig of Corsair DDR3-1333 memory with big heat sinks on the top of them.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007

nice :)