Best Processer for Price until Nehalem?

Lionblade

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
ok so I'm buildin a new gaming rig, now I've been plotting to get the E6750 so that I wont have a prob playin games and it will last me all the way until Nehalem.

But is there another Intel Processor that can do just as well? I am willing to overclock but it will be my first attempt. I am aware that Wolfdales will be out soon, so I am considering that as well. But for now plz limit suggestions to released procs. Thanx much!

G0 stepping Q6600 - Best all round enthusiast chip as it offers the best future proofing as a quad, and is a high overclocker.

I say this with a lump in my throat as an AMB Fanboi ... <sigh>

Hope this helps.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Then the 6750 or the 6550 are great choices. Some would say the E21xx series as well. It's really up to you. I got my 6750 to 3.6GHz rather easily. Runs great, and will hold me over til Nehalem. I may even drop a Penryn quad in this motherboard a little later to prolong the life a bit more. But only if I start seeing numbers in multithreaded games that can take advantage of 4 cores that I'll actually play. So far the best games are still limited to 2 cores, IMO :)

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Like thanato421 said those cpus are good choices but I would wait till late Jan to see how the new 45nms do. Then compare there price performance vs the older 6750 and 6550.

Since they are supposed to out in around in about 3 weeks(If they arent delayed) its worth waiting to see. If the majority of the chips OC as high as the ones that the testers recieved, it will hard to pass them up.

Any of the processors mentioned in the thread will last you to Nehalem and after.

What im looking forward to. Is how much of a difference the Nehalem with make in games once it comes out. Even though its supposed to spank c2d all over the place. We all know that most games depend on GPU. So a new Nehalem might not perform that much better in games compared to the old cores2s on a high end video card.
Im sure it will get better FPS but enuff to justify a ENTIRE new system(ram, cpu,mobo) I dont think so.

windie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
Im also buildin a gaming pc in about 2 weeks time. I am going for the E6550 cpu, and I will for sure oc it. Penryn, will just offer a higher clock speed with a bit more for cache (with 6mb for the lower end range). Im actually thinking of waiting a bit more for the current prices for the e6550 to drop when penryn comes, will use the extra money on a better gpu. Dont want to max out on the mobo and cpu, as current mobo's dont support nehalem and well Im also eagerly awaiting nehalem :)

btw, does anyone know when penryn will hit the stores, and maybe how much longer after would the current chip prices drop?

prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I just put a PC together in December using an e2160. I had never overclocked before and have it running at 3GHz stable with the stock voltage. If you are looking to buy a Nehalem chip (only about a year away), I would save the money now and get a e2xxx chip. It won't limit your FPS and should be great for the time being.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

I would tend to agree.
The other option is to wait about 3 weeks for the E8400 which should OC quite well.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I just put a PC together in December using an e2160. I had never overclocked before and have it running at 3GHz stable with the stock voltage. If you are looking to buy a Nehalem chip (only about a year away), I would save the money now and get a e2xxx chip. It won't limit your FPS and should be great for the time being.
Yeah, the E2160's were only like $79 on the egg last week. Just clock that baby up to 3.0Ghz as mentioned in the quote above, spend a $ on an after market cooler and you're golden.

Lionblade

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I see the E21xx series are limited to an FSB of 800 and L2 Cache of 1MB, This will have no impact on game performance compared to the E6750?

And btw I wouldnt multitask much, just maybe a game and music in one sitting.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I would personally try to get a low-end Q9300 Yorkfield.
It's not out yet and the price is about $266. However it's VERY future proof. (even more future-proof than the q6600)

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

The 800FSB is an advantage not a disadvantage since these are OCing Chips.
The low FSB allows for increasing the FSB to attain a high OC.

Clock for Clock the E6750 will be about 8-10% faster due to the L2 Cache.
However, you are likely to notice much of a difference for gaming.

Yes, The E6750 will/can be faster.
But your question was the best bang for the buck for a temporary solution.

The E2160 when clocked to 3.0Ghz or more, will easily be plenty fast enough for current games.
It will also save you about $100 to put towards your Nehalm at the end of this year/early next year.
The difference is "Value". You can always spend more and get more performance.

Latest posts