Biostar TA 770 A2+ multiplier question

Raeorn

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
So I purchased the Biostar TA 770 A2+ board with the AMD Black 5000+. Fantastic board and much faster than my previous set-up. I have 1 slight issue. Has anyone figured out how to change the multiplier? I bought the Black to boost that sucker to its limits (ok so 15.5x). And my motherboard (supposedly overclocking friendly) won't allow a multiplier change?

I've searched and searched, and I am hoping someone from here has figured it out. I figured a new bios, but the website doesn't even list the TA770 under products.

Any help is appreciated.

Xtreeme

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
ITs simple. Have same cpu and mobo the Multiplyers is borked on the mobo. It always gives half multi with stock bios. The new bios is supposed to fix it buit is corrupted and killed my mobo for a bit. I got boot blocker coming up after successfull flash. So I reflashed in recovery with same one-same result. Dw the older one on site, did the recovery flash and shes back. Now its picking up at 2600mhz not 2500mhz (half multi issue effects auto setting too it seems) and the ram went from 325mhz to 375~mhz or so.

I informed biostar the bios IS corrupt beyond any doubt and to remove it or face the trail of rmas as a result, since alot dont know how to make a bios flash cd that boots with min drivers.

Raeorn

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
Ok, here is a bit of help for most people, the A78XAC20.BST kills the bios and brings up the BootBlocker screen... if that comes up, re-flash with the A78XA116.BST Bios, both are linked on http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/t-series/bios.php?S_ID=310

So far, with the Black Editions, the board is less than stellar (with the official bios), hopefully a new Bios will fix the issue.

Some good reading material is over at http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/ Polygon and Orion have been busy working on the TA770 with a Phenom Chip.

I'll try to get some benchmarks this evening on my systems -
Specs:

Biostar TA770 A2+ With AMD 5000+ Black Edition and Rosewill RCX-Z940-SL 92mm 2 Ball Cooler
MSI GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3
pqi POWER Series 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Maxtor 200 GB SATA HD - I had it lying around
Antec Earthwatts 500w PS (has the 8 pin connector needed)
Windows XP Pro - 32 bit

Xtreeme

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
Raeorn, close but wrong. I already posted this. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247347-30-biostar-ta770-opinions-question

The a78XAc20.BST is the GOOOD BIOS. The A78XA116.bst killed two boards here mine and another and yes I tried reflashing that bios version in every way possible. In the end I did a recovery flash with A78XAC20.BST and it works great again.

A78XAC20.BSTalso opens the DDR1066 divider AND fixed the half multiplyer issues I had with 5000+ BE.

PErformance with that cpu less then stellar? You get a bad board or cpu or soemthing? Mine is at 3.2ghz with one tiny v bump. Stock volts Im getting 3ghz 100% stable. Now Im gonna tweak the mem. I havent even gotten this cpu and mobo to work hard yet. It oclock super easy and the benches are showing good speed. Mem latency and copy write speed is good too.

Im reviewing this board, maybe thats why Im noticing the details- or you got a bad board nto sure.

P.S. AGAIN do NOT USE A78XA116.BST that bios will mess you up and unles you know how to make minimal boot cd with flash-DONT DO IT.

el_brio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Yes. The C20 bios is the stable one. I think multiplier is locked with it though..... in BIOS and in OC utility you can't change it as far as I can tell...

Xtreeme

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
errrr, its setting half multi's again! BIOSTAR FIX THIS!!!!! Im sure its the BE G1 and G2 stepping that is the issue, but the multiplyer fix is THERE in their hands yet they messed it up and here we are waiting for 116 to be fixed so it properly runs G stepping cpus. Come on biostar uh.

well look what FINALLY appeared on the US biostar site. Only a few weeks late.
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/t-series/content.php?S_ID=310

el_brio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Hmmm. Need to disable cool and quiet to get multi adj. That is starnge. Whatever. I used the OC utility and managed to get to 3111mhz. I did get a random reset in vista. I will tone it down a bit. Anyway, I will check it out @ home.