Computer automatically shuts off

xxMalicexx

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
I just finished building a new system that I plan on using for some pretty intensive video editing. Finally got everything in the case, but now the system shuts itself off at random times. If I just sit in the BIOS screen it's fine indefinitely, but when trying to boot it dies. There is not a standard interval of time that passes, or a specific section in the boot sequence that this happens. And since this is a brand new computer, I haven't been able to install Windows yet either. Here are my system specs:

Foxconn P35A-S
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
pqi 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (4 x 1GB)
Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (Intended Boot drive)
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (5x) (Intended RAID 5)
Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R
PNY VCQFX570-PCIE-PB Quadro FX570
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-650-PCAR
Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2C

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

xxMalicexx

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
I tried running memtest, and both times my computer shut off early on during test #4. The first time was about 10 minutes into the test, and the second was about 7 minutes.

dwthor02

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
try running with one stick of memory at a time and also look at the timing for the memory in your bios to see if it meets spec.

xxMalicexx

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
Ok, so currently here's what's going on: I set the BIOS to the correct voltage for the mem which is 2.1v. I then ran memtest on only the first stick and everything went fine. No errors. I proceeded to do the same thing with the second stick and the computer shut off very quickly- about 15-30 seconds in during the second test. The same things happened with the third and fourth sticks of memory. I then tried it again with the first stick and it had the same problems as the other three.

I went back into the BIOS to check the memory voltage, and it still shut off after about 20 seconds.