Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer not booting into Windows XP

Last response: in Windows XP
May 26, 2010 7:17:23 AM

Hi Everyone,

My computer is currently unable to boot into Windows XP. It is able to detect drives, and start the Windows XP loading process, e.g.: "blue progress bar", it is also able to get to a logon screen, e.g.: Press CRTL + ALT + DELETE to login. However when I attempt to logon the computer just freezes and after approximately 30 seconds to 5 minutes it reboots.

I have noticed a very strange sound coming from the computer. It occurs just after the IDE drives are detected, around the time that Windows XP starts to load. The sound appears to be coming from the visinity of the processor, and it sounds like "short and long beeps, similar to an old fashioned modem dialing up but nowhere near as loud".

In order to try and find the source of the sound I have done the following:

1). Disconnected the system fan
2). Changed the heat sink / heat sink fan
3). Replaced the hard drive (after cloning the contents of the original drive)

After replacing (and cloning the hard drive) I was confident that I would not hear the sound again! My logic being that the processor has no moving parts, and therefore isn't likely to make any noises!

I am now thinking that the motherboard and / or processor may be at fault, as the steps mentioned above did nothing to remove the annoying "bleep blip" sound. However I don't understand how XP can get to the logon stage if something is wrong with the motherboard and / or the processor.

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David
May 27, 2010 7:07:46 PM

Mr Davo said:
Hi Everyone,

My computer is currently unable to boot into Windows XP. It is able to detect drives, and start the Windows XP loading process, e.g.: "blue progress bar", it is also able to get to a logon screen, e.g.: Press CRTL + ALT + DELETE to login. However when I attempt to logon the computer just freezes and after approximately 30 seconds to 5 minutes it reboots.

I have noticed a very strange sound coming from the computer. It occurs just after the IDE drives are detected, around the time that Windows XP starts to load. The sound appears to be coming from the visinity of the processor, and it sounds like "short and long beeps, similar to an old fashioned modem dialing up but nowhere near as loud".

In order to try and find the source of the sound I have done the following:

1). Disconnected the system fan
2). Changed the heat sink / heat sink fan
3). Replaced the hard drive (after cloning the contents of the original drive)

After replacing (and cloning the hard drive) I was confident that I would not hear the sound again! My logic being that the processor has no moving parts, and therefore isn't likely to make any noises!

I am now thinking that the motherboard and / or processor may be at fault, as the steps mentioned above did nothing to remove the annoying "bleep blip" sound. However I don't understand how XP can get to the logon stage if something is wrong with the motherboard and / or the processor.

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

Look up the beep codes on the manufacturer's website, you can look them up by model number, serial number, motherboard number. Download the motherboard manual. The manual will tell you how to interpret the beep code sequence. The code will tell you what has gone wrong. Did you replace the C MOS battery?
June 3, 2010 1:50:32 AM

Hi Soundguruman,

Thanks for the feedback, I may have been misleading with my description of the sound, as it definitely isn't a BIOS post code. At any rate my computer is now running again, and still making the sound, but I figure "don't fix it if it isn't broken!".

Cheers

Dave
Related resources
June 14, 2010 11:42:58 PM

Hi All,

No solution was found to this post! For a close approximation to the issue that I am experiencing, please see:

As with this post, the above post also ended with no solid conclusion, but a plausible answer "There may be damange to a MOSFET".

Good luck if you run into this issue, because your going to need it! However this being said my computer has been working with the noise since the original post that I made here.

Cheers

Davo

:hello: 

Best solution

June 15, 2010 12:47:51 AM

There maybe damage to a mosfet?
in the power supply, or on the mother board?
I would try downloading CPU ID
check your power supply voltages with that, if they read wrong, that is an indication that something really is damaged. A bad mosfet for example might cause a voltage to be incorrect.
And what type of motherboard is it?
June 25, 2010 12:57:19 AM

Best answer selected by Mr Davo.
!