Your question

Raid 0 newbie question

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 14, 2008 7:28:06 PM

Evening All

Long time lurker, first time poster :hello: 

I'm a numpty and know very little about computers and would like to ask a quick question if I may :bounce: 

If I have 2 x 80 GB SATA-II HDD UDMA 300 7200 8MB and run them in raid 0 formation, does that mean I get twice the speed performance, i.e so it's close to running at 15,000 or is that just wishfull thinking, making me a complete tit ?.... :o 

More about : raid newbie question

November 15, 2008 1:20:05 PM

Fizzy Jerk, from what I just found out with my RAID 0 setup with two 250 GB Hard drives you will notice a significant difference in read speed. It will depend on what controller you use, but you should notice at least a 1.5x gain in transfer rate.

Why don't you post your system specs and maybe we can make a few more insightful suggestions.
November 15, 2008 1:39:02 PM

Quote:

If I have 2 x 80 GB SATA-II HDD UDMA 300 7200 8MB and run them in raid 0 formation, does that mean I get twice the speed performance, i.e so it's close to running at 15,000 or is that just wishfull thinking, making me a complete tit ?.... :o 

Couple of thoughts here.

1. Raid 0 is not a true double in speed. It really only helps in reading and writing of large files. There are lots articles out there that will give you good info, but it won't really help in day-to-day computer use. You might...might see a very slight improvement in loading of games and such, but here's where the issue is...

2. for that small improvement in speed, it is really worth the fact that if one drive hiccups or simply dies, you loss everything on your raid. There is absolutely no data in integrity at all in a Raid 0.
November 15, 2008 2:14:03 PM

It will be faster but your drives arent very fast to begin with so it still will be like one good new HDD.

7200RPM dont mean a whole lot. Run HD Tune and see what your transfer speeds are.
!