daswede1127

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I got 2 hard drives, one 160GB and one 500GB and I need a backup solution for files only. I want my operating system on a separate 375GB partition and I want a 125GB redundant (like on 2 hard drives) partition to keep just my files (no programs). Is this possible to do? What is the best way of accomplishing this?

Should I be looking for a software mirroring solution? Suggestions on software to use?

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
There is not really a way to do what are are trying to do. You cant use part of a drive for RAID and another part of it for something else. You best solution is to get another 500GB drive for your data and mirror the 2 of them.
Also keep in minf that redundancy and backup are very different things. The RAID solution will keep 1 drive failure from wiping out your data but it wil not help you if you delete a file, get a virus, or by some other means than faulty hardware you lose data. Backup is keeping the data on another drive or array and if possible not in the same computer. The easiest way to do this is with an external USB hard drive.

daswede1127

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I really hate external HDDs really, they're too fragile and I got dogs who can hurt things. The only thing I am worried about is hardware failure, I'm not worried about the other things because I will be adding to this system later on. I just need a way to store the same data on 2 drives.

If I make 2 partitions on my big drive, one 375GB and one 125GB and then I make a partition on the small drive for 125GB, can't I just keep the 125GB partitions synced with some software? I know it isn't a RAID, but I really just need to keep the data on 2 disks at the same time and synced up.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I have done this with either a 2nd internal drive or external USB drive. I just copy the directory of the files I want to save to the other drive. I do this for my photos, by copying the entire My Pictures directory or a sub directory within it, or my programming files by copying the Visual Studio Projects directory.

So, you can do it manually. You can also buy a backup program and set it do certain directories for you.

daswede1127

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Does anybody know of any software that will sync up your folders on a schedule? I don't shut my computer off often, so I would have no problem syncing 2 partitions at a specific time...

If you have onboard intel raid it is possible. setup a raid 1 at 160GB (the 125GB will create a small useless partition so it's best to use all 160 IMO) Afterward you will be left with 2 drives. a 340GB one for OS and programs and a 160GB raid 1.

The value of raid-1 for protecting data is that you can recover from a hard drive failure quickly.
It is for servers that can't afford any down time.
Recovery from a hard drive failure is just moments.
Fortunately hard drives do not fail often.
Mean time to failure is claimed to be on the order of 1,000,000 hours.(100 years)
Raid-1 does not protect you from other types of losses such as viruses,
software errors, operator error, or fire...etc.
For that, you need EXTERNAL backup.
If you have external backup, and can afford some recovery time, then you don't need raid-1. In addition, there is a performance hit because you must do two updates for every one.

With the relatively small amount of data you have, why not back up to a DVD? Remember, that the data backed up will be compressed, taking less space than the original. After the initial backup, subsequent incremental backups will only write out changed data.

daswede1127

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Geofelt, thanks for no help at all. I have already explained why I want to do what I want to do, read the thread next time. Also, backing 80 gigs (right now) onto DVDs take forever.

Yes you board does have raid. However t isn't the intel raid. (the southbridge should have a "R" at the end). so you will need to resort to backup software. Nero 7 actually has a decent utility you can use for automated backups. I don't own the newer verision but i'm sure they'd be just as comparable.