Sign in with
Your question

How to double your PC's frame rate!!!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 30, 2007 8:01:28 AM

I recently purchased a ati AGP x1650 xt 512mg ,and placed it in my p4 3.0 Gb fsb800 on a Asus p4p800 deluxe with 2.5 ddr 400mhz,and a 500w power supply.

I dont get no-where near the fps i should be getting ,i only get around 30 fps in games which as you know is very poor performance,so i dont ,know if the cpu is slowing down the videocard.

I updated the agp/gart driver , and went back to the 7.7 cat ati videodriver to see if i could get more fps in games ,but its still the same as before.

I know my pc can get double the fps that i am getting now ,and i have been racking my brian in trying to find the answer.

If you or anyone have any ideas i would really like to hear about it .

cheers mike

More about : double frame rate

a c 169 U Graphics card
December 30, 2007 8:06:21 AM

in which games u get 30fps ?
December 30, 2007 8:25:47 AM

Turn vsync off? i was getting 30fps is cs 1.6 until i did that lol!
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2007 8:26:10 AM

that's a rather old card. if your getting 30 fps at say 12x10 in oblivion that's good. if its 30 fps in hl2 at 10x7 then no its not good.
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2007 9:29:23 AM

mike27466 said:
I recently purchased a ati AGP x1650 xt 512mg ,and placed it in my p4 3.0 Gb fsb800 on a Asus p4p800 deluxe with 2.5 ddr 400mhz,and a 500w power supply.

I dont get no-where near the fps i should be getting ,i only get around 30 fps in games which as you know is very poor performance,so i dont ,know if the cpu is slowing down the videocard.

I updated the agp/gart driver , and went back to the 7.7 cat ati videodriver to see if i could get more fps in games ,but its still the same as before.

I know my pc can get double the fps that i am getting now ,and i have been racking my brian in trying to find the answer.

If you or anyone have any ideas i would really like to hear about it .

cheers mike

what memory are you using? try a full windows install, also check that your cpu is running cool

the p4's are getting old now...
December 30, 2007 9:41:23 AM

mike27466 said:

AGP and a Pentium 4 are you kidding me? How do you know what FPS you should be getting? I'm racking my brain in trying to understand why is it that your still running a Pentium 4 that was never really good for games to begin with, as for AGP its old. What games are you trying to play and at what resolution?
December 30, 2007 9:46:30 AM

He could be trying to play crysis....
December 30, 2007 10:30:43 AM

@nvalhalla +1

Quote:

AGP and a Pentium 4 are you kidding me? How do you know what FPS you should be getting? I'm racking my brain in trying to understand why is it that your still running a Pentium 4 that was never really good for games to begin with, as for AGP its old. What games are you trying to play and at what resolution?

What exactly is the problem of P4? I am running a P4 Northwood @2.8GHz, with 1GB Ram and a Radeon 1950 Pro on AGP and I am able to play most games in max (or near max) settings at 1280x1024.For example I can play NWN2, Oblivion, FIFA 08, Pro Evo 2008, NFS Pro Street, Command and Conquer 3, Bioshock, MoH Airborne, etc near best quality.In Crysis I set most settings on high and some on medium (still acceptable image quality).

In 3d, the VGA is still the vital part and not the CPU.Also near 30fps is just fine and that is what developers are aiming to these days because this is the minimum, where the human eye can sense a fluid motion.
December 30, 2007 10:32:17 AM

capped at 30 fps.....hmmm...what game?
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2007 11:56:39 AM

Stranger ^ :lol: 

OP: What games, what resolution, what settings? C&C3? :) 
December 30, 2007 1:29:01 PM

pauldh said:
OP: What games, what resolution, what settings? C&C3? :) 

only person here to ask ALL the right probing questions... what games, what resolution, what settings, and do you know what render mode you're using (software, direct3d, or opengl) if using direct 3d, do you know what direct x version it's using to render? (6, 7, 8, or 9)
December 30, 2007 2:12:47 PM

OK thanks guys for your replys!

I play rfactor mainly as I do the racing online.

I run rfactor in 1024x768 16bit with VSync off.
Shader level DX7 with all textures on high not full.
special effects on medium as i like to see through smoke on the race track.
everything is basically turned down as much as i possibly can to compisate with the best i an get away with.

The system memory i use is 3x512 400mhz sticks and 1x1Gb stick 400mhz

I know its agp and p4 but i;m not a rich man and i know i can get way better performance out of my system if i study these hardware setting to fine tune them.

I did turn down my agp aperture setting from 256 to 64 and i got a little more performance out of the fps from 30fps to 40!

i haven't done a bios flash or update as i tread with caution with flashing.

I dont know if the higher resolutions would help as i am to scared to even try that incase my videocard might fry!!

Any ideas would be apreiated
December 30, 2007 2:26:05 PM

well... it's a semi-open-development racing sim... 40 FPS seems decent with what you've got... but... what programs are you running in the background? bring up the task manager and post the # of processes, CPU usage at idle, and RAM availability (rough estimates)... also, make sure you've defragged... :) 
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2007 9:42:07 PM

mike27466 said:
OK thanks guys for your replys!

I play rfactor mainly as I do the racing online.

I run rfactor in 1024x768 16bit with VSync off.
Shader level DX7 with all textures on high not full.
special effects on medium as i like to see through smoke on the race track.
everything is basically turned down as much as i possibly can to compisate with the best i an get away with.

The system memory i use is 3x512 400mhz sticks and 1x1Gb stick 400mhz

I know its agp and p4 but i;m not a rich man and i know i can get way better performance out of my system if i study these hardware setting to fine tune them.

I did turn down my agp aperture setting from 256 to 64 and i got a little more performance out of the fps from 30fps to 40!

i haven't done a bios flash or update as i tread with caution with flashing.

I dont know if the higher resolutions would help as i am to scared to even try that incase my videocard might fry!!

Any ideas would be apreiated

Thats a dual channel motherboard running in single channel mode - one issue (half the memory bandwidth) - try 2x512 matched memory and see how things run then.
December 30, 2007 10:37:35 PM

dual-channel is a feature, not a requirement for stability...

however, you did point out that he has 4 sticks of ram... there's a high chance that 1 stick is failing... I'd like to know what kind of RAM you're using (manufacturer) and if you've run a test like memtest86+ ... let us know
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2007 10:39:30 PM

truromeo4juliet said:
dual-channel is a feature, not a requirement for stability...

however, you did point out that he has 4 sticks of ram... there's a high chance that 1 stick is failing... I'd like to know what kind of RAM you're using (manufacturer) and if you've run a test like memtest86+ ... let us know

P4's are bandwidth and FSB hungry - chances are 1gb dual channel memory might be faster in games then 2+gb single channel
December 31, 2007 3:09:44 AM

Hi Guys, Are you saying that if i dual channel two of my 512 sticks to 1Gb of system ram that might get the performance up again.

I did some tests and the videocard rating was very low compared to all the other videocard ratings.I think thats where my problem is the videocard is no-where near its running performance.

The rate that i got for the videocard was =121 where all the other videocards were rating around =200 ever a 9800 pro with 128vmemory was getting 174 rating.

my videocard is a x1650 xt 512mg vmememory with a vcore of around 740 and vmemory speed of 1100mhz

Something is drastically wrong here!!!!!!!!!!!!
December 31, 2007 3:23:11 AM

Here is my processes at work ,I need things like teamspeak, keytojoy, running as i do my online racing.

a friend has a system with 3Gb cpu ,512mg system ram ,ati 9800pro 128mg vmemory ,and he runs rfactor with teamspeak,joytokey, forcefeed wheel with everything on and he averages 70 fps.

a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2007 3:49:47 AM

mike27466 said:
Hi Guys, Are you saying that if i dual channel two of my 512 sticks to 1Gb of system ram that might get the performance up again.

I did some tests and the videocard rating was very low compared to all the other videocard ratings.I think thats where my problem is the videocard is no-where near its running performance.

The rate that i got for the videocard was =121 where all the other videocards were rating around =200 ever a 9800 pro with 128vmemory was getting 174 rating.

my videocard is a x1650 xt 512mg vmememory with a vcore of around 740 and vmemory speed of 1100mhz

Something is drastically wrong here!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you run in the proper dual channel memory, it effectively doubles the memory bandwidth available (2x400mhz channels = 800mhz total bandwidth, or more correct - 2x64bit channels @ 200mhz*2(ddr)) - it may give you a boost (i went from single to dual with a P4 2.6c and saw ~20% performance boost).

Try either a fresh install of windows or get a driver cleaner, wipe all video card drivers and install a fresh copy of the latest set available directly from the company eg ati or nvidia etc.
December 31, 2007 4:07:21 AM

Hi ,

System has fresh install of xp pro with sp2 ,no old drivers are on the system ,

My ram is as follows:

1 stick of elixir 512 400mhz
1 stick of vdata 512 400mhz
1 stick of (no name or generic) 1Gb 400mhz

i have dual channelled the vdata 2x512 sticks and placed them in slots 1 and 3 (blue slots)

the 1Gb stick is placed in slot 2 (black slot) and the 512 elixir is in slot 4 (black)

making it a total of 2.5 Gb of system ram.

I have ran system in this config now for 30 mins it seems to be stable with no crashing as yet!

I will do a test with just the two vdata dual channel sticks in =1Gb system ram , and do some videocard ratings to see if the rating get higher scores.

Ps i did a videocard rating test again with the 2 vdata 512's channelled and the rating score was 119 compared with 107,it a little improvment but at least it getting better.

I will keep you guys posted with how i go with other tests.

Thanks again with all of your imput you are all a big help!!!!
December 31, 2007 4:26:14 AM

This could be the problem, high system req. for that game.

# Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 processor
# Windows XP
# 2048 MB RAM
# Geforce 7900 GT or Radeon X1900 GT
# 256 MB video RAM
# DirectX 9.0c
# 2.0 GB of hard drive space for installation
# Internet connection required for one-time activation

Just a thought.
December 31, 2007 4:45:01 AM

Hi, my bro plays rFactor and i think he gets around 40 fps AVERAGE, and my rig is older than yours. It's a socket A AMD Athlon XP 1800+ @1.5Ghz, 768mb ddr-333Mhz ram, 9600XT 128mb videocard. I use ATi Cats 7.9 I think, but the drivers don't make a difference on my old card anymore. Btw, my mobo only runs 4X AGP, not even full 8X, so there's definitely something up with your machine.

Edit: Med/Low settings at 1440x900 i think
December 31, 2007 5:21:44 AM

I have guys playing rfactor on-line with 3Gb p4 with 9800pro 128mb videocards with 512 mb system ram and they get on average 70 fps!!!! and thats at 1024x768 with everything on full with no vsnc and running in dx7.

Also the 9800pro 128mg videocard is rated score is 171! my x1650 xt 512mg turbo only rates a score of 107!

Theres something definiatly wrong here!!!!
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2007 5:45:12 AM

mike27466 said:
Hi ,

System has fresh install of xp pro with sp2 ,no old drivers are on the system ,

My ram is as follows:

1 stick of elixir 512 400mhz
1 stick of (no name or generic) 1Gb 400mhz

i have dual channelled the vdata 2x512 sticks and placed them in slots 1 and 3 (blue slots)

the 1Gb stick is placed in slot 2 (black slot) and the 512 elixir is in slot 4 (black)

making it a total of 2.5 Gb of system ram.

I have ran system in this config now for 30 mins it seems to be stable with no crashing as yet!

I will do a test with just the two vdata dual channel sticks in =1Gb system ram , and do some videocard ratings to see if the rating get higher scores.

Ps i did a videocard rating test again with the 2 vdata 512's channelled and the rating score was 119 compared with 107,it a little improvment but at least it getting better.

I will keep you guys posted with how i go with other tests.

Thanks again with all of your imput you are all a big help!!!!

that isnt dual channel, thats single channel because of the other sticks.

Reguardless, also check what temps your cpu is running at, and what speed your ram is running at, it may be rated at 400mhz but your system may not actually read and use the SPD settings supplied.
December 31, 2007 11:11:05 AM

its now dual channelled with the two vdata 512 sticks in the blue slots .

cpu temp is normal around low 40's c ,ram speed is normal as done by performance tests to measure speed and rated.

After testing the system again with dual channel is really dont get any real improvement in fps .

What really stands out though is the terribly low rating score of the videocard! as a matter of fact the score is so low compared to the other videocards that it is rediculous!!!!!!

I emailed my vendor explaining the situation with the ratings and tests with the system ,I wait now to hear what they will say about this.

I will keep you guys posted on this as i know i can double the fps on my system!
December 31, 2007 11:52:12 AM

where u getting ur scores from?

try cpuz to c what speed ur rams are working at, n if they are dual channel or not.
December 31, 2007 12:52:46 PM

I would at least just try 2x512mb sticks just for kicks. No reason not to ;) 
December 31, 2007 2:01:31 PM

NO NO!! i dont have the system ram at 2.5 Gb anymore, i just run the 2 vdata 512 sticks now!!!

with them dual channalled at 1024mb not 2.5 like at the beginning.

I'm trying different combo's of the ram to see if the ram is causing the slow down of fps

December 31, 2007 2:11:47 PM

What is your AA at? That can be an absolute killer for FPS.
December 31, 2007 3:02:03 PM

If anyone can double the framerate on my system ..... I'll fedex a case of the best wine or booze to your house !
January 1, 2008 4:28:28 AM

Anti-Aliasing in the control centre of the ati driver is set to "use application setting"

Anti-aliasing in the game rfactor is set to none!
January 1, 2008 4:36:57 AM

the thing is guys i did a full performance test at pc pitstop and compared my system with other system ratings and everything seem to be fine except the videocard.

My videocard compared with other videocards was so much lower than every other videocard in the scores

For example the ati 9800pro 128mg got a rating of 171 where my videocard got a rating of 107!!!

Thats a 64 lower than the 9800pro which is a real worry because my vdeocard is a x1650 xt 512mg vedeocard!!!

Something is very wrong here dont you think!
January 1, 2008 5:39:38 AM

darn, from the title of the thread i was expecting some kind of spell or something to double the framerate.. :p 
January 1, 2008 6:03:33 AM

to OP:

it sounds like the video card to me then

to trooper regarding:
trooper1947 said:
If anyone can double the framerate on my system ..... I'll fedex a case of the best wine or booze to your house !

hi, trooper
what's your config?
January 1, 2008 7:35:06 AM

Well I will end up doubling my fps ,thats why i named the title as that .Just give it a week or so and you will see many solutions and ideas through this post!

All ready I have found very good ideas on dual channelling your ram to double your rams bandwith,which helps your videocard to unleash its performance.

So hang around ,I would also like to hear if you have any idea's on system performance. You never know you might get a revelation on how to tweak your PC .
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2008 7:39:58 AM

mike27466 said:
Well I will end up doubling my fps ,thats why i named the title as that .Just give it a week or so and you will see many solutions and ideas through this post!

All ready I have found very good ideas on dual channelling your ram to double your rams bandwith,which helps your videocard to unleash its performance.

So hang around ,I would also like to hear if you have any idea's on system performance. You never know you might get a revelation on how to tweak your PC .

Beware tho about that dual channel setup - some apps may prefer twice the memory vs twice the bandwidth, and not all systems have dual channel available.
January 1, 2008 9:14:32 AM

how about installing the newest catalyst control center. i only see the ati driver in your task manager not the whole control center.
January 1, 2008 10:29:15 AM

blizzard900 said:
how about installing the newest catalyst control center. i only see the ati driver in your task manager not the whole control center.

I do have control centre installed i may of not have it up and running at the time of the task managment.

I sent the task mangement picture to show everyone what is actully running with everything closed in the background as possible to show everyone that this is my system running when i go into games.

a c 1371 U Graphics card
January 1, 2008 12:04:39 PM

solution is staring us in the eye! Get a better GPU that will double the frame rate.
January 1, 2008 12:19:43 PM

here is my specs from cpuz!

check out the "system ram specs" and it says the DRAM frequancy is 199.9 mHz.

Is that the speed of the ram because the ram stick says its 400 mHz speed.

So does that mean i have to set the timings in bios to get the ram up to 400mhz.

Any idea's guys!
January 1, 2008 12:52:45 PM

Try this driver at guru3d.com -ati_omega_xp2k_48442-[Guru3D.com].exe
Has a fix for ATI 2600 AGP boards.

Ray
January 1, 2008 1:19:11 PM

Try this too in guru3d.com -RivaTuner v2.06
Be careful though

Ray
January 1, 2008 1:19:42 PM

Do you have the latest motherboard drivers and latest update for DirectX installed?
January 1, 2008 3:57:41 PM

kolix said:
to OP:

it sounds like the video card to me then

to trooper regarding:

hi, trooper
what's your config?

Intel core2duo 6300 1.86
3 gigs ram = dual channel
ATI sapphire 3870
22 " lcd
Vista 32 bit premium
IntelĀ® 975X chipset
700 watt power supply
Seagate Barracuda
Western Digital Caviar

That's about all that's relevant to any performance peaking . Thinking of dropping in a new Intel Core 2 Extreme quad-core processor if the prices come down a bit ..... my processor is a bit on the low end . I've tried all the newest drivers and patches .... big pain in the butt to no avail for much increases . I've been playing with the 3870 on it until either ATI or Nvidia comes out with a good dual/gpu card . Will put the 3870m in my wife's core2 system then . Could'nt wait any longer and went ahead and bought the 3870 because my old ati 800 pro did'nt have the latest shaders to play any of the new games .
January 1, 2008 5:38:10 PM

Mike: Considering your video performance I think some programs are ignoring your X1650 for some bizarre reason and falling back on the integrated video on the mobo instead, which would account for the rating of 119 - very low and it increased when you increased the bandwidth of the memory (it would be stealing 32 or 64MB system RAM). Do you have the "best" (most stable/compatible, not necessarily very newest) drivers for the X1650 and the mobo chipset? Even check the card is seated properly in its slot (some AGP cards can catch on backpanel/upright caps/slot rims and not lie in their slot very well) Might need to flash the BIOS after all...
January 2, 2008 9:58:39 AM

hi,
I dont have onboard video with this motherboard ,this motherboard the Asus p4p800 deluxe was in its time of release purely for the gamer at maximuim performance thats why its called "deluxe" .

the only device that is builtin the motherboard is the audio.

Good idea about the videocard maybe not sitting in the slot as I do have a riffet sitting right in the way of the videocard bracket .which i flex the panel of the case to slot the videocard in ,but the videocard is seated right and is perfect position.

Not sure about flashing the bios though as i dont know if the updated bios will actully fix the low videocard's performance.

I'm looking around the net to find out what the updated bios v1021 actaully doe's!
January 2, 2008 11:11:39 AM

i downloaded and tryed the amega driver 4.8.442 from guru3d.com, it installed well meaning everything looked good on desktop ,but when i go into a game i get the stretched graphics on the screen and no matter what i do int the settings i cannot correct this.I even changed resolution in control centre but it doent correct. I know this driver is good its one of the best for performance. I do have a 15in lcd screen though so maybe the driver is not compatible for this type of screen.
January 2, 2008 11:12:36 AM

Quote:
it is impossible to dual channel memory with different amounts in each channel. the amount of memory you have is 2.5, you cannot run in dual channel mode with that amount.

Hmm not actually true for example i have old Nforce 2 motherboard and 3 ram sticks : 256*256*1024 (1,5 gb total) everest and cpu-z report that i am running dual channel mode.
a c 84 U Graphics card
January 2, 2008 11:22:35 AM

RuFuS said:
Hmm not actually true for example i have old Nforce 2 motherboard and 3 ram sticks : 256*256*1024 (1,5 gb total) everest and cpu-z report that i am running dual channel mode.
I don't understand how dualchannel could possibly work with 3 sticks :??: 

Quote:
strangestranger wrote :
it is impossible to dual channel memory with different amounts in each channel. the amount of memory you have is 2.5, you cannot run in dual channel mode with that amount
actually you can, with 1gb+1gb+256mb+256mb :p  but not with the op's config though
January 2, 2008 11:37:38 AM

I would wager that it's either a bad video card or there's an issue with your motherboard (PCI-E bus or something). If there's a way you can double-check your card in someone else's rig and theirs in your rig to see if anything changes, I'd do that :-/ Any differences in configuration could change the score, mind you.
!