New hardware, old hdd

spark29

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Just finished building a new computer with entirely new parts, except an old IDE 120 gig hdd. It posts and everything looks great, but windows won't boot. Keep getting the same error message that I may have installed new hardware, do I want to start windows normally, last configuration, etc. Does this mean I need to reinstall windows to get it to recognize everything? Oy.

spark29

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
It may also be worth mentioning that for some reason, my ps/2 keyboard isn't being recognized at all. Can't even use it in the bios. But my usb keyboard will work in bios. It won't work when it gets to the windows error message though. Oy.

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Which Windoze? If XP, try a repair install. Boot from the XP CD, select "install", select "R" for repair. This will leave your settings intact (mostly ...) while the OS is overwritten. Then Windows can boot and you can update the drivers.

spark29

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
It was an hdd from an old xp emachines that got scrapped, so I don't have any windows discs. I have some sort of discs that came with the emachines for wiping or something? Not sure if it's the same thing. I can always try and get one of my mates to give me their copy and try to repair.