"no signal detected" even after i go back to my orginal setup!!!

kamikazed

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
hi, i have a super big problem.
so this is what i did
i took out my old graphic card 8500gt from my desktop and switched it with my 7900gs and when i powered it up, nothing shows up my lcd moniter is blank
so then i took out the 7900gs and put my 8500gt back in...but now my 8500gt is also giving me no response to my moniter
what should i do??
it says "no signal detected" and my monitor is fine because i can still hook it up to my laptop and it shows!!!
i cant even see the bios screen

There are about a dozen things you could have done wrong to end up in this situation.
Did you unistall the drivers and set the video to standard VGA mode before you starting changing out cards?

Your BIOS may need to be reset.
Try clearing the CMOS.

As already asked, we need to know what all of hardware and configuration is. Does your motherboard have on-board video?

Ibanezrg570

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Make sure you've seated the VGA firmly and properly in the PCI-E/AGP slot. You may think that sounds like a silly thing, but its happened to alot of people on more than one occasion.

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Here's something I think may have happened. (It would still be very helpful if you provided us your complete system specs...though.)

Upon doing some very quick google searches online, I noticed that the 8500gt does not use an external power connector (this may not be the case with your 8500gt). Maybe, when you inserted the 7900gs, you did not install the external power connector to it (or it could be a bad card). So your system defaulted to the onboard graphics connector (just a guess, mind you), which of course, did not have a monitor attached, so your monitor is not receiving a signal.

But as was mentioned before, there are many things that could cause this problem. Along with what jitpublisher mentioned, I would also connect my monitor to the onboard graphics port when you reset your BIOS (I believe most motherboards default to it on reset), just to see if at least this way you can get a signal to your monitor. Then I would start working from there.

kamikazed

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
many thanks guys for all of your help. in the end i ended up taking apart my whole computer and putting everything back about twenty times and kept rebooting it until my screen finally showed up lol
took me about 3 hours but it was worth it!