Your question

OMFG my cpu is at 105c!!! help omg help

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Thermalright
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
January 2, 2008 8:42:28 PM

ok i have a intel Q6600 with a thermalright ultra 120 extreme and as5.. my cpu is at stock speed but i just downloaded speed fan from this link: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php and it says my cpu is on fire at 105c..

it gives the following temps..

system: 35c
CPU: 18c
AUX: -3c
Temp1: -48c
Temp2: -48c
temp3: 0c
CPU: 105c
Internal Temp: 105c
Remote Temp: 104c

please help what does that mean

More about : omfg cpu 105c omg

January 2, 2008 8:48:27 PM

You sure the sensor isn't broken? At 105c it would burn a hole in your motherboard lol.
January 2, 2008 8:49:42 PM

maverick7 said:
ok i have a intel Q6600 with a thermalright ultra 120 extreme and as5.. my cpu is at stock speed but i just downloaded speed fan from this link: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php and it says my cpu is on fire at 105c..

it gives the following temps..

please help what does that mean

What motherboard, did you try CoreTemp as a comparison?

The CPU would of already throttled at 105c, I really doubt it's that high.
Related resources
January 2, 2008 8:49:47 PM

well wtf how can i find my right temp then.. and i know 105 would be on fire.. but then again iv seen graphics cards at 110...
January 2, 2008 8:51:11 PM

maverick7 said:
well wtf how can i find my right temp then.. and i know 105 would be on fire.. but then again iv seen graphics cards at 110...

GPUs are entirely different than CPUs as far as temperatures go.
January 2, 2008 8:52:41 PM

I'm pretty sure that 105 is your GPU temp, which is still high. I think SpeedFan is just labeling it wrong. Read on...

I'll bold your CPU temps:

Now, I think your temps are a little high for a TR120 and AS5. That being said, I would double check to make sure you didn't apply too much. All you need is a "grain of rice" worth of AS5 on your CPU. If you're not sure what I mean, go check the Arctic Silver website for application instructions.

As for your GPU: Are you using an 8800GT? If so, I bet your fan isn't spinning at the correct speeds under load. There has been a fan problem with a lot of them which keeps them at 24-29% speed regardless of load. Just download Rivatuner or something and move it up to 60% or so, and you should lower your temps a bit.
January 2, 2008 9:06:52 PM

no im using an evga 8800 gts 512mb and i looked at the fan and its running REALLY slow...

also can someone explain this to me: "If temperatures don't meet Parameters, then SpeedFan 4.33 can configure Offsets to correct for Tcase (CPU or Temp x) and Tjunction (Core x). From the Readings tab, click on the Configure button, then click on the Advanced tab. Next, click on the Chip field directly under the tabs, then use SpeedFan's Help and HOW-TO icon included in the installation Program Group."

nowhere do i see the help and how to icon included in the installation program group..

then how hot is my cpu?? if its not 105 and its not 18.. then do i add 15 to the 18 then its 33c.. which is not hot for a quad core lol..

also how do i increase my gpu fan speed. for ntune dont u need an nvidia board?? i have an asus maximus formula. So would Riva Tuner work?
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2008 9:13:02 PM

I'd say only the system temperature is correct at 35C. The rest is a complete mess
January 2, 2008 9:17:55 PM

omfg well what do i do then?
January 2, 2008 9:25:14 PM

Calm down. All this WTF OMFG stuff makes you sound like a child.

Run the PC for a little bit to get it up to operating temps, then reboot and go into the BIOS. There is almost always a hardware monitor there, and it will give you accurate temp readings.
January 2, 2008 9:27:35 PM

i love the title of this thread by the way!
January 2, 2008 9:34:05 PM

ok i downloaded everest and it says the following:

motherboard: 34c
GPU: 73c
GPU Ambient: 55c
hard drive 1: 24c
hard drive 2: 25c

doesnt even list the cpu.. wtf
January 2, 2008 9:38:04 PM

Try CoreTemp
January 2, 2008 9:44:42 PM

Don't worry loads of people have trouble with speedfan reporting ridiculous temps for Q6600s. Try coretemp or one of the latest betas of speedfan.

In speed fan I have a sensor reporting 119C on AUX (whatever that is).

The 105C sounds like the processor's Tjunction, which AFAIK is one of the temps it throttles at.
January 2, 2008 9:45:40 PM

ok these are the temps (by the way guys i dont know ambient since im in basement and there is no thermostat. its 20c upstairs so im guessing about 18.

here are the temps

TcaseMax: 100c
Core #1: 27c
Core #2: 27c
Core #3: 24
Core #4: 24

does that seem accurate..? seems too low to be real to me
January 2, 2008 10:15:24 PM

k i just got my first bsod.. and it automatically restarted the pc for me.. man that was scary.. i havent even oced WTF!
January 2, 2008 10:15:26 PM

mine are almost 10c above ur coretemp. (in idle) with FSB=333
January 2, 2008 10:15:57 PM

is urs G0 stepping?? and what version of core temp do u have?? i have core temp beta 0.9.0.91

wtf i just realized it says as follows: Intel Xeon 2.4GHz (Clovertown)
2405.50MHz
LGA 771

that cant be right...

cpu-z says kentsfield LGA 775... wtf is going on lol...
January 2, 2008 10:38:31 PM

**** i just got another BSOD... i downloaded the new core temp and it now displays the correct info. It also displays the same temps

what on earth is causing the BSOD??

k im going to run some prime 95 just to see even if my system is stable.. which test do i run? small FFT, in place large FFT, or blend??
January 2, 2008 10:47:33 PM

What are the full specs of the computer and have you got all the latest drivers?
January 2, 2008 10:49:06 PM

"omg omg my cpu is going to burn"
January 2, 2008 11:12:40 PM

8800 gts 512mb
asus maximus formula
Q6600 thermalright ultra 120 extreme, as5
cooler master stacker 830 evo
2 gigs corsair memory
2x 500 gig western digital hard drives
xp sp2
January 2, 2008 11:22:02 PM

maverick7 said:
8800 gts 512mb
asus maximus formula
Q6600 thermalright ultra 120 extreme, as5
cooler master stacker 830 evo
2 gigs corsair memory
2x 500 gig western digital hard drives
xp sp2

Have you bothered to check your temps in BIOS yet? They should be relatively accurate.

I'd also take the MB out of the case, then check that your nice cooler is mounted properly.

Normal TS steps next... 1 stick RAM, GPU, then run a bit. HDD, run a bit. Prime95, run a LONG bit. Then re-check temps in BIOS.

You also need to disable reboot on bsod so you can really see why you are getting a bsod.

January 2, 2008 11:25:30 PM

maverick7 said:
is urs G0 stepping?? and what version of core temp do u have?? i have core temp beta 0.9.0.91

wtf i just realized it says as follows: Intel Xeon 2.4GHz (Clovertown)
2405.50MHz
LGA 771

that cant be right...

cpu-z says kentsfield LGA 775... wtf is going on lol...

yeah, G0 stepping. im using core temp 0.95.
if u want more accurate readings from speedfan. go download the beta, it fixes the 15 degree offset issue. it looks like ur softwares are unable to detect which processor u using. i dont know why.

primer with small fft. that will test ur cpu.
January 2, 2008 11:26:04 PM

Please learn to type properly, all these lazy little acronyms irritate me.
January 2, 2008 11:46:32 PM

ok im running mem test and already i have 6 errors.. it says as follows:

Memory error detected! Pair 6855096 does not store values accurately.

MemTest has detected that your computer cannot accurately store data in RAM. You need to fix this.

See the online FAQ, question # 2 (http://HCIDesign.com/memtest) for advice on what to do next.

ok what the hell.. i went to that link and it doesnt say anything about my problem.. can someone help please
January 3, 2008 12:00:06 AM

" 2) MemTest tells me "Memory error detected...", what does this mean?

This is not normal. Your RAM is bad, or your system is incorrectly configured. If you have overclocked your machine, or selected aggressive RAM timings in your BIOS you should try more conservative settings before judging the ram fully bad. If you can't get MemTest to run without errors even with conservative BIOS settings, your RAM is bad. Replace it, or you will experience stability and corruption problems. Correctly functioning RAM has no errors, even if you run MemTest overnight.

Read the manual for more details on how to determine the exact cause of the problem."

Link to manual... http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Personally, I think it says a LOT about your problem.

January 3, 2008 12:03:21 AM

i thought it would be really specific but ok so i have bad ram.. could that be causing the bsod to come up?

*ok im off to check each individual stick
January 3, 2008 12:12:41 AM

You need to check your BIOS, and make sure that your memory timings and voltage are correct. You'll have to access your memory MFG's website to get that info (and no, I'll not do it for you). After you get your BIOS settings correct, re-run memtest. And Read The Fu****g Manual!

Yes, memory will be one of the prime causes of a BSOD.

Personally, I'm getting the impression that this is just one big wind-up.
January 3, 2008 12:13:10 AM

Make sure you don't have your ram overclocked or any of the ram settings changed from what it suppose to be at stock. Download TAT and use that to get the cpu temp. If all else fails seal up all the holes in your case and put a couple gallons of water in it too cool it down.
January 3, 2008 12:21:38 AM

Seawater would be best, but tapwater with a couple of handfulls of boxed salt should do the trick...

To the OP.... Can you not even follow simple directions?

1. Check BIOS memory settings against MFG's recommended specs.

2. RTFM!
January 3, 2008 12:26:10 AM

half of the temps there look wrong, especialy the ones that are below zero lol.

unless you keep ur pc in a freezer, check the cpu temp in bios and try some other programs to read cpu temp.

the cpu temp @ 105 is prolly the gpu. thats still too hot though. try checking the fan on your card, updating drivers and bios. also try different temp monitoring techniques

if you try the above and find your temps are truly that high then for cpu, check that you applied the cooler properly with thermal paste and for the gpu , try an after market cooler or more case fans

the errors u got could be from overheating.... i dont know this for defo but would try sorting out the temps and checking voltages/clockspeeds before replacing your ram
January 3, 2008 12:30:57 AM

cant belive you havnt checked the temps in bios yet man.. if you want to get this problem sorted DO IT NOW lol.

it should be number 1 on your list of things to try. if the temps are high that could be causing you bsods. if therye not then you know the problem lies else were
January 3, 2008 12:36:20 AM

A good majority of BSOD's these days are caused by bad graphics drivers, overheating (unlikely) or bad RAM sticks/timings. Your CPU isnt going to burn from what some programs have (form what i can tell) accurately gauged. As a sidenote, stop saying WTF and OMFG everyone 3 sentences.

I think toms should see how putting a computer in the freezer helps cool it to OC.
January 3, 2008 12:48:03 AM

starcraftfanatic said:
A good majority of BSOD's these days are caused by bad graphics drivers, overheating (unlikely) or bad RAM sticks/timings. Your CPU isnt going to burn from what some programs have (form what i can tell) accurately gauged. As a sidenote, stop saying WTF and OMFG everyone 3 sentences.

I think toms should see how putting a computer in the freezer helps cool it to OC.

hell yea! pc in the frezzer would b cool lol. and ye, stop saying OMG and WTF you spunk sponge
January 3, 2008 1:06:28 AM

yea i already checked my temps in the bios calm down lol... they are the same numbers as the ones in pc probe 2... or roughly at least

also i tested each stick of ram and i found out that one of them is bad and so will be returning that.
January 3, 2008 1:08:09 AM

Try reseating the hs with AS5.
January 3, 2008 1:30:08 AM

psymanproductions said:
hell yea! pc in the frezzer would b cool lol. and ye, stop saying OMG and WTF you spunk sponge

i wish it would work but the freezer wouldn't have enough cooling capacity to cool all the components in a PC :( 
maybe some sort of commercial freezer, but not in your house.. cool idea though.
January 3, 2008 2:22:39 AM

If you got a dual channel set, they are matched and both stick will need to be replaced
January 3, 2008 2:43:13 AM

Well by the title of the post and the way you write, my guess is you are about 13-15 years old. I have your solution....Ask your parents to buy you another new computer and send me the one you have :bounce: 
January 3, 2008 2:48:27 AM

[:labbai:1] [:mousemonkey:5] omfg, this is like, the best wtf thread ever. friends don't let friends OC while all crack'd up...[:baddad] [:baddad]
January 3, 2008 3:00:40 AM

lol well you are totally off on my age, however i agree that i sounded that old... I blame it on lack of sleep.. and utter frustration with this computer after so many problems
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2008 3:12:01 AM

Heh the CPU should, by default, scream warnings at you at 75C and shut down at 85C. That seems to be the default settings in most BIOSs
January 3, 2008 5:58:16 PM

Quote:
Personally, I'm getting the impression that this is just one big wind-up.
No, this guy is serious. I went through a thread that took like 4 hours to get him to correctly post. I think it ended up that his RAM was in the wrong slot(s) or something.

Quote:
lol well you are totally off on my age, however i agree that i sounded that old... I blame it on lack of sleep.. and utter frustration with this computer after so many problems
BSODS can be caused by a number of things. I find that most of them are memory or over clocking related.

So, if you're over clocking anything, set it back to stock and follow a guide to get your self up a stable, error-free over clock. If you're not over clocking, make sure your RAM is getting the correct voltages.
January 3, 2008 9:05:57 PM

this is the greatest thread I have ever seen!
!