Need help on Intel PIII-S 1.4Ghz

victoryamaha

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
Hi.I'm a new member here.Nice to meet you all.
Recently,my head are getting big for a small problem.I got a Intel PIII-S 1.4GHz processor which i just bought from ebay.I tested that processor chip on Intel 815EEA and 815EEA2 and it wont run(failed to boot).Then after digging some information from the net,i found out that this chip require Intel's B-Stepping motherboard or server board(dual CPU) or VIA's Apollo Pro133 and Pro266(correct me if i'm wrong).I'm still not sure which board to use because Intel's one doesn't support more than 512MB of SDRAM and i'm not so familiar with VIA's board.VIA is a bit sweet in many area like supporting higher RAM memory and the Pro266 is using DDR which is easier to acquire.

Now the reason i'm writing this is i need some advice on motherboard model.I only know some board that will support Intel PIII-S 1.4Ghz is the Asus TUSL2-C(correct me if i'm wrong) and Shuttle AV32(Apollo Po266).I still not so sure that Apollo133 will support Intel PIII-S 1.4Ghz(please tell me)...
So can anyone reckon what board should i use or list out all the motherboard that can run Intel's Tualatin PIII-S 1.4Ghz...

Thanks.

ejay

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
The P3 Tualatins were sweet processors. They were fast, had 512K of L2 cache and ran cool as a cucumber. The 1.4 Tualatin, from my memory, was the fastest one produced. And they last forever, if you take care of them. In fact, the Intel core duo processors are indirect descendents of the Tualatin design.

Unfortunately, the motherboards that support them are scarce as hen's teeth and several manufacturers, such as Abit, manufactured boards with cheap, faulty capacitors. What you want to look for, are motherboards with the Via chipsets that have a "T" somewhere in their designation. Probably the finest board was the Gigabyte 694T (single core, with the "T" representing Tualatin compatible). They used namebrand, usually Rubicon caps, and there are some still alive "out in the wild". The Via 694T chipset accepts up to three 256 Mb ram sticks for a total memory of 768 Mb - good enough to run XP comfortably and compatible with it.

From time to time I've seen used ones on eBay - probably the only place you can still find them.

And yepper, the Asus TUSL2 will work if you can find one. Also, you have to be careful of many of the 133s -I remember many were not compatible with the Tualatins.

Edit: The Gigabyte 694T was available from Gigabyte as the GA-6VTX and the GA-6VTXE, both of which had AGP 4X slots.

Good luck!

victoryamaha

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
Thanks a lot for your advice ejay :) ...i will find one of those board....
yep,these processor are indeed sweeter than Intel's Pnetium 4 1.4Ghz...actually faster....
Then i will concentrate more on VIA's chipset more...surely VIA's is more future proof than Intel's one....
Sometimes Intel's board are fast....but with a 1.4Ghz Tualatin,no need bother at all....VIA's also will do well too....and then it support more RAMs than Intel's one...
Thanks a millions.... :)

amradio

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
Hi,
I'm very interesting in this because I have à PIII-S 1.4 and a motherboard which is a QDI ADVANCE 10 T .
Do you know if they work together or not ?