Help the PC illiterate please with network setup

OddOne66

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I, while not completely illiterate, am at a loss with trying to set up my network at home.

Here is what hardware I have involved.

At the center of it all is a D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router.
Internet signal comes in via Cable Co modem into my router.
Connected to the router via a D-Link DWL-122 wireless USB adapter
----Desktop PC - Windows Media Center Edition
--------Connected to the PC is an HP Photosmart C6880 Printer (non wireless)(USB connection)
Also conected to the router via onboard wireless:
----Toshiba Laptop - Windows Vista Home Premium

As far as connecting to the internet goes, I have no problems. And it would be nice to have it set up so that the laptop and pc can communicate directly. However, my main goal is to get it set up so that I can access the printer from my laptop. As it is (and has been for some time), I have to transfer files to the PC from the laptop by way of one of several ways (email, sd card, cd, etc) that are getting old.

As you can see, I am capable of getting the PC and laptop to talk to the router. I just don't get what I am doing wrong in having them talk to each other.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dave

OddOne66

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
OK. This seems to be a one way issue. I can access files on my laptop(Vista) from my PC(XP). However, Vista shows my PC in the network but won't connect to it. More research is needed. Off to search the web.

OddOne66

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Disregard this post entirely. I am not sure exactly what I did, but I got it all working somehow. I can move files from one to the other and print from both! Weeeeeeeee!