Sign in with
Your question

want to buy a new harddrive tommorow

Last response: in Storage
November 16, 2008 10:14:44 PM

hey all,

i am looking to buy a new harddrive tommorow. money aint really an issue and the computer is only used for gaming. can i have any advice on what to buy. western digtal or segate. i was thinking of 1 velocoraptor (os and games) and then 2 segate barracuda in raid0 (storage) is that just overkill.

any advice would be appreciated on model anything.
thanks alot

More about : buy harddrive tommorow

November 17, 2008 1:24:24 AM

stav said:
hey all,

i am looking to buy a new harddrive tommorow. money aint really an issue and the computer is only used for gaming. can i have any advice on what to buy. western digtal or segate. i was thinking of 1 velocoraptor (os and games) and then 2 segate barracuda in raid0 (storage) is that just overkill.

any advice would be appreciated on model anything.
thanks alot

I'd think 2 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives in raid0 should be more effective than one Velociraptor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2 of the 1TB drives cost less than a single 300mb Velociraptor. While Velociraptor is the undisputed fastest hdd on market, Barracuda 7200.11 isn't exactly slow either. See benchmark charts for read and write:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/3-5-hard-drive-chart...
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/3-5-hard-drive-chart...
a b G Storage
November 17, 2008 1:43:39 AM

If its storage, why bother with AID0? If you've got the money to burn, get the vel for your OS/games, and simply buy whatever drives for storage. Its for storage, you don't need AID0 or super fast drives.
Related resources
November 17, 2008 2:00:19 AM

I'd get an SSD for the primary drive if you have the money for it. the 1TB or 1.5TB drives for storage. Just get as much as you need, you can always buy more drives if you need more space.
November 17, 2008 3:39:00 AM

so basically is raid0 not worth it then. i thought raid would be another alternative to the velo.
a b G Storage
November 17, 2008 3:42:21 AM

It can be, but thats for performance. How much performance do you need for storage? Put the OS and games you play on the Vel, and store your music and video files on a nice 1TB drive. How fast does your storage need to move? (Raid/AID0 adds complexity, meaning you run an increased chance of failure. This is bad if you want to keep your stuff.)
November 17, 2008 3:45:34 AM

ok thanks alot of help just two more question
1)for ssd the ones i am seeing in the store near me are only 32gig is that big enough for vista/games/application
2)if i get the vel is there a proper way to partition it and if so how much space for each partition
November 17, 2008 12:22:09 PM

i cant decide between i velo 150gig for apps/os/games and maybe 1 spinpoint f1 1tb harddrive

1 ssd hardrive for os/games/apps from the link above i posted and 1 spinpoint f1 i tb hardrive

2 Western Digital 6401AALS or 2 segate baraccuda hdd in raid 0

and also the sales person telling me just to get 1 1tb harddrive and nothing else because i wont see that big of a performance in gaming anyways.

plz help i want to get it today lol
a b G Storage
November 17, 2008 12:52:36 PM

If you want gaming performance, your first choice is about the best.
Expensive, but I like it.
However, I wouldn't do it. The performance you will get is really small over a single 1 tb. drive, for gaming.
Foget about SSDs for now. They need to come a ways before you invest in one. They are not quite ready for main stream use yet.

What I like even better is simply putting 2 of these into RAID.
They are fast, and a great price.
a b G Storage
November 17, 2008 1:34:45 PM

I wouldn't bother with AID0 for gaming. Gaming requires very little in the HDD dept, so you don't need monster drives for a good gaming rig. GPU, CPU, RAM all need to be top of the line, once a game is loaded into ram, you don't really access your drives anymore. (RPG games are an exception. Some games need to load new details when you enter the castle, or come out of the cave, etc.) Having a fast drive setup for gaming won't increase your frame rates because the data in loaded into your ram, and the game won't access your drives again until you need to load a new level.

Again, if you've got the money to burn, get the vel for OS/games, and whatever drive for storage. You'll have speed for when you need it, and lots of room for storing XXX.
November 17, 2008 1:45:27 PM

what is the proper way to partion a hard drive lets say i will have max 3 games on a harddrive at all times (wow will always be on the harddrive but the other 2 will change.

lets say 150 gig velo

how much for os
how much for apps
how much for games

thanks again its been really appreciated
a c 167 G Storage
November 17, 2008 2:15:16 PM

First, re raid:
There is generally no real world(vs. synthetic transfer rate benchmarks) performance advantage to raid of any kind.
Go to www.storagereview.com at this link: http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=Single...
There are some specific applications that will benefit, but
gaming is not one of them. Even if you have an application which reads one input file sequentially, and writes
it out, you will perform about as well by putting the input on one drive, and the output on the other.

How much space do you think you will need for the three games and the OS?

Get a fast drive for that, and add a storage drive of sufficient capacity for the rest.

If 80gb will be enough for the OS and 3 games, then the fastest solution will be the Intel X25-M SSD. It will cost you about $600. If price were really no object, get two of them in raid-0 for 160gb. Raid-0 in this case is good because the SSD does not have the positioning penalty of conventional hard drives. Do not get any other MLC SSD. You will suffer an unacceptable write penalty. Only Inttel has a proper MLS controller today. Slc drives worl well, but are much more expensive.

On a more practical matter, the 300gb Velociraptor is a very good solution. Go to www.storagereview.com and look at their performance database. The system drivemark performance is probably the best indicator of what performance will be for the single user desktop. The synthetic benchmarks like HDTACH and HDTUNE are poor indicators of what real application performance will be.

In the end, though, your gaming performance it most directly related to the power of your vga configuration, not the hard drive or even the CPU. If it is not at the GTX280 level or better, spend your money there.

---good luck---
a c 167 G Storage
November 17, 2008 2:18:28 PM

geofelt said:
First, re raid:
There is generally no real world(vs. synthetic transfer rate benchmarks) performance advantage to raid of any kind.
Go to www.storagereview.com at this link: http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=Single...
gaming is not one of them. Even if you have an application which reads one input file sequentially, and writes
it out, you will perform about as well by putting the input on one drive, and the output on the other.

Get a fast drive for that, and add a storage drive of sufficient capacity for the rest.

If 80gb will be enough for the OS and 3 games, then the fastest solution will be the Intel X25-M SSD. It will cost you about $600. If price were really no object, get two of them in raid-0 for 160gb. Raid-0 in this case is good because the SSD does not have the positioning penalty of conventional hard drives. Do not get any other MLC SSD. You will suffer an unacceptable write penalty. Only Inttel has a proper MLS controller today. Slc drives worl well, but are much more expensive.

On a more practical matter, the 300gb Velociraptor is a very good solution. Go to www.storagereview.com and look at their performance database. The system drivemark performance is probably the best indicator of what performance will be for the single user desktop. The synthetic benchmarks like HDTACH and HDTUNE are poor indicators of what real application performance will be.

Do not bother with partitioning unless you have a need for dual OS boot. Performance may increase, or decrease by a minor amount, depending on your activity pattern. It's not worth the bother.

In the end, though, your gaming performance it most directly related to the power of your vga configuration, not the hard drive or even the CPU. If it is not at the GTX280 level or better, spend your money there.

---good luck---

a c 167 G Storage
November 17, 2008 2:20:02 PM

geofelt said:
First, re raid:

If 80gb will be enough for the OS and 3 games, then the fastest solution will be the Intel X25-M SSD. It will cost you about $600. If price were really no object, get two of them in raid-0 for 160gb. Raid-0 in this case is good because the SSD does not have the positioning penalty of conventional hard drives. Do not get any other MLC SSD. You will suffer an unacceptable write penalty. Only Intel has a proper MLS controller today. SlC drives work well, but are much more expensive.

---good luck---

November 18, 2008 8:38:53 PM

i found my spinpoint f1 to be loud some times
November 18, 2008 11:44:14 PM

rangers said:
i found my spinpoint f1 to be loud some times

i have one also as a storage drive and i can't hear it... my pc is almost dead silent(cant hear it at 2meters at night) and the f1 1TB with aam enabled is whisper quiet providing that you have it soft mounted. it's the best for storage... very fast linear read/write... nice for movies/iso's...

My choice would be RAID0 2x320GB single plate hdd's.. either WD or Seagate's 7200.11 for the OS and app's... Nice IO's. and F1 1TB for storage. it wont be the better brand you can buy for reliability but i have no complaints about the F1 1TB hard drives... but i still prefer Seagate over any other in that departement. i'm looking forward to grab their 11 series... or Maxtor Maxline brother. The only reason that i backed from a 4X single Plate 80GB RAID0 to a Seagate 320GB single plate was because of noise. i work with 15k cheeta's(i miss those quantum 10k drives...) in raid... non raid.. etc... raptors and all. i love 15k hdd's it's just that leap in performance that's been missing from consumer world... but then again... it's just too much noise. And Yes. to me RAID is worth it. the system is way much responsive. Dont bring the 4/8GB mem as an excuse. what for?? i have 8GB now and altough it's faster and smoother than say... 2gb it doesnt reach the benefit's of a enterprise class HDD or RAID for that matter. dont skimp on HDD. if possible buy 2 150GB velociraptors for 200€ each and 1TB HDD for 110€ and your off to a great machine. and vista will come alive even before super ultra caching everything to mem.
!