Sign in with
Your question

I will never buy another XFX product

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 30, 2007 5:09:09 PM

I bought an XFX 7900GS AGP from newegg.
5 weeks into it the card crashes during Bioshock and I get corrupted graphics. I can no longer get into windows.
I post onto the Bjorn3D website forum, as they have sold out (sorry, "sponsored by") to XFX.
I was told to RMA it.
I do.

A week goes by and I ask what is happening with the RMA. XFX support on the Bjorn forum says it will be sent the next day. It isn't. I ask 2 days later. I am told it will be sent that day. It doesn't.
2 days later it gets sent.
I call to complain. The guy says "Our shipping company had some troubles. It wasn't our fault". I'm like, but it was YOUR responsibility to get the card sent out to me. He says No, "It was the shipping companys errors".

I get told that 2 weeks is a good turn around for computer parts RMA.
I explain my average is probably 3 days (for sure less than a week) in these situations for getting through the receipt of an RMA.

Whatever.
So I get the new card. And I start getting random BSODs.
I knew it was the card because I was completely stable before. My PSU (Antec True Power 430), was more than adequate, and no other hardware or drivers had been changed - hard to install stuff when your system is down for 2-3 weeks at a time.
My original corruption (with strange non alpha-numeric characters on BIOS screen, during windows boot screen, et cetera), did not make my computer unstable, just unusable. It was now unstable.
I reformat. I try 10+ driver sets. I swap hardware (no spare video card though). Nothing helps.

I RMA that card.
I get the new card and still have BSODs - the process this time only took a week, because I demanded they cross ship.
I get the new card. Same thing.

FOUR CARDS into it, and I am still BSOD'ing and XFX is still able to confirm that the cards are indeed bad.

I ask, then demand to speak to someone higher up than the tech supervisor I had been in contact with, and I am told no. They refuse to let me talk to anyone higher.
I'm sorry, I feel like for my troubles they should at least be expressing regret.
And I feel like a good company might try tossing me a bonus for hanging in there.

I guess my big issue isn't with their 2+ week RMA process.
My issue is only partly with them taking NO accountability or responsibility in getting my card back to me in a timely manner.
My issue with XFX is largely because I was LIED to TWICE.
TWICE I was told the card shipped and it did not.
It's as bad as dealing with DELL. I prefer the companies I deal with to stand by their word, and be accountable when something goes south along the way.
XFX did neither.

It has taken better than 3 months for this process. And it has been a fairly continual process - maybe a week of running the RMA card before I can confirm it is not related to any other hardware, so XFX is averaging like 3 weeks per RMA. Unacceptable by my standards.

Am I sure the cards are bad? Yes.
Is XFX sure the cards are bad? Yes.

The good news it this has spurred me to move to PCIe.

And in good faith as a last chance for them to redeem themselves, my last RMA I told them I would be moving to PCIe, and would gladly take a comparably valued card if they wanted to be done with this issue.
They offered me a PCIe 7900GS. I pointed out that I paid $180+ for my AGP 7900GS and they wanted to "upgrade" me to a $110 PCIe card?No way.

They could have kept me as a customer and been done with this issue had they not spent chance after chance screwing me over.

Sure the move to PCIe was a complete build, but I no longer have to hassle with XFX.
So the money was worth it.

I will NEVER buy another XFX product.

More about : buy xfx product

December 30, 2007 5:16:01 PM

Hmmm, were you nice to them the whole time? lol.

I've actually never experienced any better Customer Service/Response than I have with XFX. I had to RMA a card that had an issue after 6 months. Sent it in and got it back. They even helped me track the process the whole time. Their service actually made me decide that I would never buy any other brand card again.

2 different days I suppose *shrugs*
December 30, 2007 5:16:31 PM

Hello, yes if you get FOUR BSOD maybe its not the card dude.

come on think! thats quite rare to get the same problem with 4 Different cards did you check to make sure it WASNT your AGP bus or possibly any other type of problem?

and now you moved on to PCI-E and no longer have the problem, i would seriously check out that old mobo with say spare GFX card if you have one lying around

I own a XFX 7900GT and only now it doesn't work i called tech support and found them reasonable.

sorry to hear such hassales i had the same sorta problem with PNY when i owned a PNY 6600GT at first i thought it was the card but going threw 2 of them and having the same corruption it turned out that when i was touching the motherboard i didnt de-static myself and i partially screwed the AGP bus up.

Related resources
December 30, 2007 5:20:05 PM

Guaranteed it wasn't the card. The likely hood that 4 different cards produced the same result is slim-to-none. It was probably something else, almost without any shadow of a doubt.

And for the record, XFX has been good to me so far.
December 30, 2007 5:34:58 PM

my old xfx 6600gt never was a problem
i didn't contact their support however

i think you should be glad that they four cards to you, I'm sure most companies would blame it on you after two times
December 30, 2007 5:49:31 PM

lower said:

I reformat. I try 10+ driver sets. I swap hardware (no spare video card though). Nothing helps. [...] FOUR CARDS into it, and I am still BSOD'ing and XFX is still able to confirm that the cards are indeed bad. Am I sure the cards are bad? Yes. Is XFX sure the cards are bad? Yes.

Exactly what hardware did you swap?

Anything is possible but without trying a different variety of video card I think it's difficult for you or XFX to be so certain that the video card is the problem...

-B
December 30, 2007 6:00:49 PM

And your reference to Dell,

I've had nothing but good support from them.
I have onsight service for all of my laptops and I've always had a tech at my house in under 48hrs and never on the phone for very long to get the tech arranged.
December 30, 2007 6:14:22 PM

lower said:
I bought an XFX 7900GS AGP from newegg.

And in good faith as a last chance for them to redeem themselves, my last RMA I told them I would be moving to PCIe, and would gladly take a comparably valued card if they wanted to be done with this issue.
They offered me a PCIe 7900GS. I pointed out that I paid $180+ for my AGP 7900GS and they wanted to "upgrade" me to a $110 PCIe card?No way.

Do you know how to do research?

The 8600GT, which is $110, performs at the SAME level as your 7900GS. It might cost less, but it performs the same. Since you were not able to realize (or read about) this fact, the problem is not the card, but the user.
Like others have said, the likelihood of 4 different cards failing is staggering, unless another component is interfering. IE: the agp bus fried from receiving static shock. From what you describe of what you did, you sound like you could easily have shocked the motherboard and therefore destroyed the bus.
December 30, 2007 7:01:45 PM

I-d-o-1-t error obviously in anger and fury with no rational
December 30, 2007 7:05:59 PM

Xazax310 said:
I-d-o-1-t error obviously in anger and fury with no rational

do I even dare touch this? :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2007 7:07:37 PM

Sounds like a good customer for BFG. LOL
December 30, 2007 7:15:19 PM

Believe me it IS staggering odds.
But considering I had taken the RAM down to a single bank, still had errors.
Swapped out the motherboard, swapped out the PSU, and pulled all other cards, YOU go right ahead and tell me what else it could have been.

Oh, and because you all do such a good job READING, feel free to tell me how the errors were CONFIRMED by XFX and how the cards were determined as FAULTY through their own testing processes.

Look at Newegg. This isn't just me, guys.

But no. Go ahead. Blame me. By all means.
It's my fault. You guys have the answers.
December 30, 2007 7:18:48 PM

zenmaster said:
And your reference to Dell,

I've had nothing but good support from them.
I have onsight service for all of my laptops and I've always had a tech at my house in under 48hrs and never on the phone for very long to get the tech arranged.

I agree with zen.
Please explain "It's as bad as dealing with DELL."
My system is a Dell (I know)
They are not half-bad if you know what your buying and know what your doing.
In reply to this:
"My issue is only partly with them taking NO accountability or responsibility in getting my card back to me in a timely manner."
Accountability starts with the end-user when flaming against a company. You should have all your ducks in a row.
December 30, 2007 7:20:58 PM

Xazax310 said:
thats quite rare to get the same problem with 4 Different cards .

Agreed!! thats near impossible :sol: 
December 30, 2007 7:23:39 PM

Dell sucked because they sold me a video card they didn't have on hand.
And have proceeded to give me the run around for 40 days until they cancelled my order with out telling me.
I guess I thought EVERYONE in the know knew about the Dell 8800GT fiasco.

Accountability starts where the error lay. You can blame me for having a video card go bad if you like.
I do have all my ducks in a row, believe me. I have documented everything, but even the short story above becomes long very quickly.

But, feel free to point out where I have flamed a company.
Nothing I have stated is anything less than verifiable fact.

I think it's funny that the people so rabid to defend XFX are people that have had great experiences with them.
And like midless drones, they rarely say "Huh, I did an RMA with them and they were GREAT!", instead they say "You must be doing something wrong!"
Why? Because the internet is full of intelligent people ;) 

Honestly, I am GLAD some of you have had great experiences with XFX.
Feel free to shout it from the mountain tops... IN YOUR OWN THREAD.
I had horrible experiences, and wanted people to know.
What's the issue?
December 30, 2007 7:38:23 PM

I deal with all the rma's with my company:
Am I sure the cards are bad? Yes. --> It is never No.<--
Is XFX sure the cards are bad? Yes. --> They will never say anything else to a customer <--
Fortunately, I dont deal with retail.

December 30, 2007 7:56:06 PM

Wait... let's put aside that somehow FOUR XFX cards are bad - which I highly doubt since XFX is an excellent company, or else you have incredibly bad luck - and go ahead to your attempted swap to a PCI-E card.

Let me get this straight: you bought an AGP 7900GS. You asked XFX to give you a PCI-E card - something they have ABSOLUTELY NO obligation to do. They, however, accepted, and offered to ship you a PCI-E 7900GS - and you REFUSED?! What the hell kind of crack are you on? They are offering to facilitate your upgrade by shipping you a PCI-E version of the EXACT SAME CARD. In what universe is that a DOWNGRADE? Here, I have a Radeon 9250 that I'll sell you for $200. It costs more, so it must be better, right? Why don't I send you my ballpoint pen for another $50 while I'm at it - gauranteed to work!

December 30, 2007 8:01:42 PM

The universe that has eBay?
The upgrade happened 6 weeks ago when I got sick of RMAing FAULTY cards back to them and having a computer that could only be used 20% of the time due to that issue.
What part of I am done with XFX do you not understand?
How is it so difficult to grasp that I spent $180 on a card and can get about $150 of that back out of the card when I sell it versus getting maybe $100 for the PCIe?

I'll gladly take your Radeon 9250 for CURRENT MARKET PRICE.
$20. You pay shipping.
The current market price on an AGP 7900GS is still about $180 NEW
The current market price on an PCIs 7900GS is about $110 NEW

Is math difficult for you?
December 30, 2007 8:07:28 PM

lower said:
The universe that has eBay?
The upgrade happened 6 weeks ago when I got sick of RMAing FAULTY cards back to them and having a computer that could only be used 20% of the time due to that issue.
What part of I am done with XFX do you not understand?
How is it so difficult to grasp that I spent $180 on a card and can get about $150 of that back out of the card when I sell it versus getting maybe $100 for the PCIe?

Now what's up with you?
1st you have a 7900GS
now you have a 8800GT?
"I went with an Accelero S1 on my BFG 8800GT OC. Works great - I haven't bothered to mount a 120MM fan to it yet, as it sees some air flow over it from a 120MM fan mount on the side panel of my case. I haven't gone for more than the stock OC, but as it stands it idles about 40C and maxes out about 55C.

It comes with RAM sinks, and a heat sink for ATI cards. I cut up the ATI heat sink and used it on the VRM/MOSFETs."

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247377-33-8800gt-over...
December 30, 2007 8:09:13 PM

Yes, let's see you sell a "defective" 7900GS AGP on eBay for $150.

My point still stands. You can go through the hassle of selling your card and buying a new one if you wish. A free AGP 7900GS to PCI-E 7900GS upgrade through the manufacturer is NOT something to complain about. Why should the company ship you a FASTER card on a NEWER interface without charge? Cost is not the standard for such things.
December 30, 2007 8:10:15 PM

Can no one follow simple threads?
I had an AGP system.
XFX cards were trouble.
AGP cards were RMAed.
I upgraded to a PCIe system.
AGP cards are still in process of being RMAed.

Can I not have more than one computer?
You might be poor. Not my problem.
December 30, 2007 8:11:17 PM

SEALBoy said:
Yes, let's see you sell a "defective" 7900GS AGP on eBay for $150.

My point still stands. You can go through the hassle of selling your card and buying a new one if you wish. A free AGP 7900GS to PCI-E 7900GS upgrade through the manufacturer is NOT something to complain about. Why should the company ship you a FASTER card on a NEWER interface without charge? Cost is not the standard for such things.

How will it be defective when it's a brand new one from my RMA?
They don't have to do anything.
And that is just what they did.

But I most certainly don't have to take a hit to my pocketbook.
Even the simplest of people should be able to see that a new AGP 7900GS eBayed for $150, and then a fresh store bought PCIe 7900GS for $100 puts money in my pocket, AND as a HUGE benefit as far as I am concerned, I would have gotten to buy a DIFFERENT BRAND.
Duh.

But I treated myself to a BFG 8800GT OC.
Didn't realise I needed your permission to be unhappy with XFX or to buy a different card.
Sweet jebus. You guys are all so bent at railing on me that you don't even bother to make rational arguements.
December 30, 2007 8:24:32 PM

You don't get it. AGP prices are high only because it is becoming rarer and more obsolete. The PCI-E version is equal or superior in every way. It's your own bad luck that you had to pay extra for an AGP. In the enthusiast world, however - and XFX is an enthusiast company - products are rated first on their performance, THEN on their price. I could spend $600 on an AMD FX-62, and then b!tch and moan to AMD about having them send me a Phenom - and should they oblige, would you not settle for a quad-core Phenom 9600 which is most definitely faster than an FX-62, but retails only for $260? Or would you cry and say that you want a $600 processor.
December 30, 2007 8:27:18 PM

No, YOU don't get it.

In your example you would be a FOOL to not resell your $600 CPU, buy the $260 one you want that is faster and POCKET the profit.

You are arguing just to argue.
Your thinking is FLAWED.
You LOSE.
December 30, 2007 8:33:08 PM

Hey, let's assume it is XFX. Just to get that out of the way.

Move on, get a card from another vendor and don't buy from them again.

BUT, usually, it is an odd problem when you have to ditch a vendor. I ditched Maxtor, and it was Antec's fault, bad batch of PSU's on their Sonata II line.

I RMA'd 4 Maxtor drives in Calgary, and made myself nuts, and it was a faulty PSU rail, but SO erratic, would be stable for a LONG time then just have Disk Read Error where I couldn't access Windows even, it just degraded then I was screwed.

BUT, I was CONVINCED it was the Maxtor drives. I was thinking, "are they going under and just trying to keep their RMA inventory on the market because they canned all their staff that fixes them" and all sorts of nutty crap.

But, it WAS the PSU. When it worked, as stable as can be. Yup. Until I got a Disk Read Error a few months later, then I was back to whining about poor Maxtor.

That was me being stubborn, and you know what?? I DESERVED the frustration. I learned a lesson.

That lesson is Tom's Hardware Forums are the place to go. And just work through the advice.

Oh, and yes. Next system I will go back to Maxtor. Good old Maxtor, solid as a rock.

Oh, and cases with included PSUs? NEVER again. I'll only get Seasonic/Corsair from now on.
December 30, 2007 8:41:10 PM

Funny thing is that according to you his thinking is flawed, but that's the exact same way you're thinking. Companies don't work with Street prices or retail prices of things, they work with their MSRP and performance, if they wanted to mail you a PCIe 8600GTS or 7900GS you should consider yourself lucky that they are willing to take obsolete tech as AGP and give you PCI-e
December 30, 2007 8:42:02 PM

lower said:
No, YOU don't get it.

In your example you would be a FOOL to not resell your $600 CPU, buy the $260 one you want that is faster and POCKET the profit.

Your thinking is FLAWED.
You LOSE.

exactly
but he didn't do it

what you do is bitching about a company who gives you a better and cheaper card just because you probably fried 3 or 4 cards from them
the example from sealboy was well placed
YOU lose
December 30, 2007 8:50:42 PM

Falken699 said:
Good stuff

I think that's wise advice.
But please answer me this since you seem the most rational person to have responded;

I pulled all cards but the graphics.
I pulled all RAM sticks but one.
I swapped PSUs.
I swapped MBs.

What is left in this equation?
What else could it have possibly been?

And (for bonus points) to play devils advocate, if it was something in what was left of my system causing it, then why was I completely stable with my first XFX card? In other words, I wasn't above thinking that it was some sort of incompatibility between my aged AGP board and this newest AGP technology.
But the first card worked PERFECT, for the 5 weeks it ran.
Then I got the RMA and had issues immediately.
Then I swapped MB's back and forth and still had issues.
Then I swapped PSU's back and forth and still had issues.
Then I swapped RAM in and out and still had issues.

4 failures is odd. 4 failures for THIS CARD isn't out of line. See the Newegg link above. 6 reviews. All 6 are card failures. I submit to you that it's due to the card - ever stop to think why there is only one or two manufacturers of these current day AGP cards? Maybe because everyone else could see the instability of taking a PCIe and "porting" to the AGP bus?
December 30, 2007 8:54:02 PM

emp said:
Funny thing is that according to you his thinking is flawed, but that's the exact same way you're thinking. Companies don't work with Street prices or retail prices of things, they work with their MSRP and performance, if they wanted to mail you a PCIe 8600GTS or 7900GS you should consider yourself lucky that they are willing to take obsolete tech as AGP and give you PCI-e

And their MSRP was what I was quoting.
So I agree with your point.
They offered to replace my $180 MSRP card with a $110 one.
And I refused.
Wasn't that my option?
What's the freaking problem here?
How does that make ME the bad guy?
How does that excuse 4 bad cards from them?

You can say it's all my fault, that's fine.
It wasn't. And I don't understand how after everything I have carefully laid out here you can still try to pin it on me.
But go ahead.
I couldn't care less
December 30, 2007 9:00:00 PM

lower said:
What else could it have possibly been?

Aside of considering some kind of really freaky electrical problem with the monitor causing back-currents to screw with the video card, my only thought would be to ask if,when you went to one stick of RAM, did you try different sticks?

Of course the other thing that always concerns me is that when you exchange hardware, you're usually getting refurbished equipment in return. That's always a crap-shoot at best...

-B
December 30, 2007 9:04:09 PM

bberson said:
FYI, without a quote reference there's no way to know to whom that was addressed.

Aside of considering some kind of really freaky electrical problem with the monitor causing back-currents to screw with the video card, my only thought would be to ask if,when you went to one stick of RAM, did you try different sticks?

Of course the other thing that always concerns me is that when you exchange hardware, you're usually getting refurbished equipment in return. That's always a crap-shoot at best...

-B

Fixed.

Couldn't have been the monitor either I am afraid because I also swapped my LCD in and out of the equation with an old CRT. Mostly because in addition to the aforementioned issues of BSODs, I would also get random infrequent monitor blanking, where the monitor would just go black for a second or two and then come right back to life. I tried using the cards different ports and was thinking it was a monitor issue when I swapped it out. It wasn't, the issue remained no matter which monitor was hooked up.

yes I not only ran the RAM through Memtest for 12 hours, but I also swapped 2 different singles into the MB. And changed it to different slots.

The refurbished thing I thought about too. Glad you brought that up. I went new card, brown box, new card, brown box. The brown boxes are probably refurbs. I wouldn't know how to be sure but they aren't a retail package.
The new cards were the original and one of the shipments I opted for a cross shipment so they sent another brand new card.
Same issues.

Good points!

Again, none of you have to believe it.
But I do have a decent understanding of how to narrow down hardware issues, and I did jump through all the hoops, because believe it or not I did NOT want to cause XFX issues if it was not their card at fault. It was.
a c 143 U Graphics card
December 30, 2007 9:10:34 PM

ctbaars said:
I deal with all the rma's with my company:
Am I sure the cards are bad? Yes. --> It is never No.<--
Is XFX sure the cards are bad? Yes. --> They will never say anything else to a customer <--
Fortunately, I dont deal with retail.

So, if I send you a perfectly good card and claim it's bad, you'd admit it was bad and change it, just to make me happy? Damn, I'd rather be told the truth so I can look for the real problem...
December 30, 2007 9:14:48 PM

aevm said:
So, if I send you a perfectly good card and claim it's bad, you'd admit it was bad and change it, just to make me happy? Damn, I'd rather be told the truth so I can look for the real problem...

Exactly.
That doesn't add up.
Ok, maybe the first time I could see that happening in the old "let's get this crazy guy off our back and toss him a bone" type thinking, but 4 times?
Not a chance. I really got the feeling aftre the second RMA that if there was ANY chance they could pass this off as being MY SYSTEM and not their product they would have tried. Just my opinion.
But when they put the card in their test system and it fails, what can they say?
December 30, 2007 9:19:12 PM

Letting our little debate rest, what videocard did you use before you got the AGP 7900GS.
December 30, 2007 9:30:43 PM

An EVGA 6600GT 128MB
The 7900GS was a GREAT upgrade.
I had hoped to put of the migration to PCIe until 08, but black friday hit and I couldn't resist.
December 30, 2007 9:40:31 PM

The problem could be your PSU. I know 430W should be enough, but if it's defective it could be choking before reaching that limit. Four bad cards in a row is very, VERY unlikely and should point to there being some other problem with the system.
December 30, 2007 9:45:03 PM

Wow, ok, that covers pretty much all the bases then.

I would only guess that AGP stuff that is kicking around on the market place isn't currently being produced by said company, only re-circulating refurbs or something.

The only thing to do would be to return the card for a refund, NOT blame XFX, and just buy another card that you'd like.

I would just use as many "paths of least resistance" as possible at this point, you truly are dealing with "last gen" stuff that these companies are trying there best to move away from.

All I would stake this advice on is this: If you go out and grab an 8800GTS from XFX tomorrow and stuck it in a PCI-E system, you'd be a pretty happy guy. Rummaging around in BestBuys "open box discount" bin strategies are pretty hit-and-miss with old stuff. I really don't think that ANY graphics board company is making any AGP stuff anymore, if they are, I'd be amazed they have the staff and the time.

IF another card from another vendor STILL causes problems, at one point or another, you are going to have to come up with an excuse to build a new computer, and my sympathies are worth the paper this is written on :) 

Now, if SOMEHOW this computer would just come up with some mysterious problem around when Intel starts pooping out cheap 45nm Quads...
December 30, 2007 10:21:48 PM

To the op:

You should have either borrowed another AGP card form a friend, or bought a cheap AGP card from a local retailer that doesn't charge restocking fees, test it out, then returned the card. I can't help but think that if four cards in a row go bad, then it might be something else other than the card.
December 30, 2007 10:29:41 PM

Lower i highly agree with your problem and everyone who disagrees probably didn't own a 7900 series card. Just so we're all aware the 7900 series cards were faulty from the start. Not just XFX but every single brand as it was a faulty reference design with a voltage regulator (PCI-E version haven't bothered seeing if the AGP had the same probs though).
I was working at my local puter shop about 18 months ago when i bought two XFX 7900GTX cards (665mhz/1.63Ghz). Biggest system at the time that these guys had seen (paid $990 each card). Put them in my brand new A8N32SLI board, X2 4400+ and guess what, no post. Reasearched it found that my board needed a bios update, no probs flashed it and it posted. Installed XP, latest drivers and all the updates, no programs just 3D Mark06 cause we didn't have much time left before close and i wanted to show this thing off. Started running 3DMark and it lasted bout 30 sec before it BSODed. Rebooted, checked settings and went to run it again. This time went past the first couple of tests but when it got to the canyon run major artifacting everywhere. Obviously faulty card. I said to my boss to get another off the shelf as my system wasn't leaving without two working cards. Ran 3DMark over each card and found the faulty. Swapped it for the new card and it worked and passed the test. 2 weeks later it started doing it again whilst running Oblivion. took it back to work ran some more tests and my boss says to me that it can't be the card "cause XFX is a bloody good brand and 2 DOA cards out of the one shipment to us IS impossible" techy diagnosed a bad card so we RMA'd it. I was pissed, $1980 on 2 cards to have 2 failures in 2 weeks. Utter S**t. Did some searching on the net and guess what i wasn't the only one. Replacement card took 3 weeks to return (I live in Central Queensland, Australia my town has about only 75,000 ppl) fair enough i say if i'm not the only one having these problems i can deal with 3 weeks, hell i've still got one working card. New card comes back. Test time. Any guess's what happened. Pulled it back out and sent it off. Another 3 weeks later the card that i was sent back had a melted plastic shroud covering the heatsink. I decided **** it I have had enough, the new card worked and continued working for the next 15 months till i sold it and kept the 1 original card that had been working from the start.

Things that i'd like to make particular mention about are:
XFX are not worth dealing with. (This my opinion some ppl have probably not had a problem and will happily by their products)
Just because Lower had problem cards doesn't mean his board is stuffed. Like i said mine worked flawlessly after i went though my series of cards and got 2 that actually worked.

Thats my 2 cents.
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2007 10:45:59 PM

Yeah, a 26 amp 12v rail should have been enough, but I feel that your aging PSU or mobo was the issue and not the all four cards.
December 30, 2007 10:48:57 PM

better yet you could have to your pc to a local pc repair shop(BestBuy/Circuit City)paid $20-$40 for a benchtest to tell you what was faulty...would have saved alot of grief
December 31, 2007 2:07:32 AM

Didn't feel like going through all the posts and I'm sure someone had mentioned this.

I would have called Newegg. I'm sure they would have been more helpful and take your card back. Infact they still may.
December 31, 2007 2:18:29 AM

SEALBoy said:
The problem could be your PSU. I know 430W should be enough, but if it's defective it could be choking before reaching that limit. Four bad cards in a row is very, VERY unlikely and should point to there being some other problem with the system.

So when I swapped the PSU out as I mentioned... the system failed because I had two bad PSU's and not 4 bad video cards? :ange: 

Falken699 said:
If you go out and grab an 8800GTS from XFX tomorrow and stuck it in a PCI-E system, you'd be a pretty happy guy.

And you know what? I AGREE.
I don't think the issue is at all XFX as a general company.
I believe it is to be this specific LINE of high end AGP cards.
But I also feel like I have given the company many chances to impress me with their support and help.
They have not. Agree or not, it's ME they have to impress, not you guys.
As such I will never buy another XFX card.

winkgood said:
To the op:

You should have either borrowed another AGP card form a friend, or bought a cheap AGP card from a local retailer that doesn't charge restocking fees, test it out, then returned the card. I can't help but think that if four cards in a row go bad, then it might be something else other than the card.

I might have done just that. But I instead opted to send them back to XFX who put it into their stable test bed system and had it show as faulty. Why would I go through that work when XFX did it already?

kellytm3 said:
better yet you could have to your pc to a local pc repair shop(BestBuy/Circuit City)paid $20-$40 for a benchtest to tell you what was faulty...would have saved alot of grief

Wait. what? You want me to spend money on a benchtest to confirm the card that not only I am sure is faulty, but that XFX themselves are confirming faulty? I mean I could see it if I sent it in guessing it was faulty and XFX said that it was not, then I might need a third opinion. But this is a card I troubleshot THOROUGHLY. And then XFX themselves CONFIRMED it was faulty. Why do I need a third opinion? The people that made the card say it's faulty - wouldn't they know?

pauldh said:
Yeah, a 26 amp 12v rail should have been enough, but I feel that your aging PSU or mobo was the issue and not the all four cards.

So how was my aging PSU... either of the two I used to trouble shoot this issue... the factor that caused XFX support to return a FAULTY status to ALL FOUR of my RMA'ed cards?
I didn't send them my computer, just the card, and I'm fairly certain it is in their best interest to have equipment that produces no erroneous failures on their own product.

pchoi04 said:
Didn't feel like going through all the posts and I'm sure someone had mentioned this.

I would have called Newegg. I'm sure they would have been more helpful and take your card back. Infact they still may.

Oh if only I could have. Believe me. I would have.
The issue there was this; newegg doesn't take back items after the UPC is removed. Why was the UPC removed? For a rebate on the card. And now you bring it up, the newegg rebate has been available for 3 months, it kind of has me wondering if this continual rebate is a way of keeping newegg from having to accept returns for this item. Hmmm...
December 31, 2007 2:31:23 AM

Newegg would still have replaced your card, even if they wouldn't take it back... but I guess that's the same as getting an RMA. Although I've never had problems getting things replaced from Newegg.
December 31, 2007 2:36:52 AM

SEALBoy said:
Newegg would still have replaced your card, even if they wouldn't take it back... but I guess that's the same as getting an RMA. Although I've never had problems getting things replaced from Newegg.

Newegg really does rock. I love that place.
I didn't ask them to, and you're right they probably would have, Newegg is THAT incredible!
But I read their policies which state they don't take product back missing UPCs, so I figured I would go the "proper" route.

Honestly. When you have one go bad like I did the last thing you are thinking is that you're going to be heading for 3 months or RMA round-abouting.
I honestly thought what are the odds? Give XFX the chance.
And they seemed pretty decent at first.
Then they lied to me twice about sending the replacement out.
Then they took no responsibility for the delays, then...
Well...it's all there in the first post.
December 31, 2007 2:40:02 AM

Man, I am beginning to wonder about this site already! Am i clear? You wouldn't mind spending $180 dollars on something, take it back to the store and get $110 back. You would feel lucky? Why not just give back his money and buy a $180 PCIe card? Makes since to me. All of you ragging on this poor guy on his experience and saying you wouldn't mind paying $180 for a $110 PCIe card. That is ridiculous!!!

lower said:
No, YOU don't get it.

Your thinking is FLAWED.
You LOSE.

December 31, 2007 2:53:50 AM

lower said:

Quote:

winkgood wrote :

To the op:

I might have done just that. But I instead opted to send them back to XFX who put it into their stable test bed system and had it show as faulty. Why would I go through that work when XFX did it already?

True, but at least it would give you peace of mind knowing with 100% surety that it is their crappy cards that are the problem. As far as RMA's go, I can feel your pain. I've had difficulties with various companies even when other people have sworn by their service.

Enermax was one company that I dealt with that supposedly has great power supplies and great service. I had a 485 noisetaker II go bad, then the replacement went bad a couple months later. The second time I sent it back though, they were taking a long time to send the replacement so I called them up and asked why they hadn't sent the replacement. They said that they didn't have any of that revision in stock and that they were waiting for it. I told them to send me the newer revision then (that was the one that had in stock). They responded saying they couldn't do it since it wasn't the same revision that I had sent them. This was a no brainer to me that they send me the latest revision in stock so I proceeded to chew the guy out over the phone saying that its their responsibility to send me a replacement. If they don't have the right one then its their responsibility to send me the next best one. After my customer service lecture he finally agreed to send the other one. Haven't had a problem since.

Maybe you can convince them to test the replacement card before they send it out to you.
December 31, 2007 6:15:09 AM

first 2-3 weeks for rma is normal

second you have something else wrong probably
December 31, 2007 9:02:36 AM

i would think your agp slot is messed up or something cos i would expect after 2 rma's fo the same coster and purchase XFX would test further cards before sending to save on shipping costs, basic economiics man.
December 31, 2007 10:20:09 AM

Me thinks the op is one of those customers all companies hope to avoid. Next week he'll be hating on EVGA or ATI when he's still getting BSODs.

And contrary to the op's original intent... his post doesn't discourage me from supporting XFX... hell, it makes me like 'em better... what other company would keep sending cards like that?
!