Berserk Problem:, RAM interaction cause strange crackling sound...

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
This is going to sound a bit odd, but believe it or not, I hear tiny crackling sounds sometimes during RAM read/writes. Not all the time, and only under idle circumstances. It has something to do with over clocking, because they are absent from stock settings... And further, I have traced it to the RAM.

If I am playing music with WMP 11 or playing a game or some such, I can hear periodic crackles from the speakers. Maybe every 4 seconds there is one, sometimes it skips a few seconds before doing it, but its defiantly not a constant.

Thats what drives me nuts, it's so irregular, but it does happen when I click on something that does a new action, not always, so back to the RAM... when its Blending, and it blends fine, its immune to the crackling.

As in, when the ram is in a fair amount of continuous use, it does not crackle at all. Plays music flawlessly.

My belief, if I had to guess? I may have damaged the actual Pin of a ground that connects from the RAM slot to the MoBo, and this is 1: causing the power through the broken connection to not ground, and short on the nearest whatever.. or 2: simply doesn't allow for a ground when needed, and causes the same crackle from lack of the termination.

That could explain why while at full use, the RAM doesnt have this problem, and doesnt make the crackle sound, because it's using its full complement of grounds, and not just data local ones for minor ram accesses, such as Midi buffering in games for background effects and music, and the refreshing of your WMP Audio playback buffer.

Any guesses would be most helpful! It could be related to the NB, I guess... as Data passes between it and all that Via the FSB.

Got me!

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I just re tested that, and its true, halo alone crackles, Halo with Prime Blending at 100% and no crackling...

help!

hehehe!

--Lupi!

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
u hear crackling over speakers because u have motherboard audio. the motherboard is a very noisy environment meaning alot of electrical activity. if ur onboard audio isnt on a riser card, that may be the problem. some motherboard have riser cards, just get a x-fi sound card and it should be resolved. i dont see how this could be at all related to ram problems.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Those are both Viable options, I think i will try a sound card, just to be sure, but I may also try to get the minimum chipset voltage and see if reducing what I can will help with the interference.

Still what I dont understand is how it's fine when opporating at high power, only when idling does it crackle.

I will mess with the NB GTL and see if its noise over the FSB pathways.

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I am saying that there is the possibility of it being Ram. And After a 2 hour session to get 4 sticks of ram to fit and work.. :) Maybe its damaged.

Why would it crackle when NOT under high usage? Thats more interesting than if it is RAM. If you have a better suggestion, by all means. It "always" crackles as well, Just goes away when the RAM is in high use.

Testing on my Fatality Pro X-fi to see if it was simply feed back on something or other! Didnt know they released a Vista 64 driver! Yippie! Real sound again!!

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
It appears to stop around 390 FSB. Over that and you get the feed back crackling sound. Although the FSB is stable as far as 475 that I have tested. So as of yet, I still don't know, but it drives me nuts!

--Lupi