darkgothic30

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I just bought 2 VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB that I plan on making into a raid for my new gaming cpu. Well my other motherboard crashed and I now have 2 Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB also. I have been reading some bad things about raptors crashing and that. I was wondering what I would need to do to set up the 2 caviars as back ups for the velociraptors or if its even possible. Any help would be apreciated. As I have only ever delt with 2 harddrive set ups this is completely new to me. I have a rampage II extreme mb that supports raid 0,1,5,10. I also would be willing to go down to the 2 raptors and 1 320 as a back up. looking for ideas of how to run this.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
This was my idea-
I wanted to run RAID 0 to increase read speed, and I wanted an additional drive for backup, so I would get two drives to run as RAID 0, and a third drive for backup, then periodically "ghost" the C: partition to the third drive.

This is for my work computer and we keep our serious data on our server with its own backup schemes. If this was going to be my only computer, I would supplement the 3 drives in the computer with 1 or more external drives for redundant backups. Depending on the size of the data being stored, burning DVD's might be a reasonable backup scheme too.