Sign in with
Your question

Server 2008 c0000218 Stop Error. Urgent!

Last response: in Windows XP
May 26, 2010 6:09:07 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm in the middle of a pretty basic networking lab and one of my VM's crashed. As our host, we use Windows XP. For virtualization we use VMware Workstation.

I had a problem installing the Internet Printing Client for my lab. I got an error saying that there wasn't enough hard drive space. I then shut down my VM and added another hard drive. Upon startup I was greeted with:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or it's log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

I've done some research and found a few fixes for XP, however I wasn't able to improve my own situation.

*What I've Tried*

Removing the virtual HDD I added before the problems started.

Restarting the VM.

Restarting the host machine.

Trying the VM on another machine.

Booting to .iso and using the repair console with the command chkdsk C: /r.

Having said all this, is there anything anybody can think of to fix this? It's a server that is necessary to complete my lab which I've already past the due date on by a few hours trying to fix this. So please help a fellow IT student!!

P.S. Sorry to post this in the XP section, but I didn't really know where to put it seeing as there's really no 2K8 Server forum.
May 27, 2010 4:09:35 AM

Overcklockalypse said:
Hi everyone,
I'm in the middle of a pretty basic networking lab and one of my VM's crashed. As our host, we use Windows XP. For virtualization we use VMware Workstation.

I had a problem installing the Internet Printing Client for my lab. I got an error saying that there wasn't enough hard drive space. I then shut down my VM and added another hard drive. Upon startup I was greeted with:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or it's log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

I've done some research and found a few fixes for XP, however I wasn't able to improve my own situation.

*What I've Tried*

Removing the virtual HDD I added before the problems started.

Restarting the VM.

Restarting the host machine.

Trying the VM on another machine.

Booting to .iso and using the repair console with the command chkdsk C: /r.

Having said all this, is there anything anybody can think of to fix this? It's a server that is necessary to complete my lab which I've already past the due date on by a few hours trying to fix this. So please help a fellow IT student!!

P.S. Sorry to post this in the XP section, but I didn't really know where to put it seeing as there's really no 2K8 Server forum.

Have you tried shutting off the firewall and anti virus before adding the second drive?
m
l
!