RivaTuner Instability - Memory Mapped I/O ports

JLewis187

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
I have a asus 750i and a Q6600. Rivatuner asks you a question when you first install it to Memory map I/o ports (saids strongly recomened when playing online games with punkbuster) It caused LOTS of instability while overclocking, I cant explain it I dont know what it is, but im positive it was it. Screw Rivatuner, go to www.evga.com and get Evga Precision for gpu overclocking, its much better and I have not noticed any instability at 3.6ghz for the past 4days. Hope this helps more who have had this problem.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
While informing people of "useful" information please refrain from bashing very good utilities for your mistakes. I have not had this problem either. No overclocking instability due to memory mapping, just from heat due to my crappy chipset.

FYI EVGA Precision is RivaTuner with a facelift. The guy that essentially made RivaTuner was among those that made EVGA Precision.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
JLewis are you sure its not your OC cause the instability?as we all see your system is unreliable to you.i use Rivatuner in 5 different chipset with 6 different graphics card all with high OC and never had such problem.

i think you need to take a look in your OC.because you post numerous thread in this forum and it doesnt seem you have solve ANY of your problem at all.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
That problem is usually due to the component between the chair and the keyboard being defective, try swapping the part that goes between the ears...
[/sarcasm]

RivaTuner has never (NEVER) given me any trouble, and I've used it since I had a FX5500, so thats quite some time.

FYI to all, Riva Tuner is not bulletproof, it can have various effects, I was using Riva Tuner as I always do to find a good stable OC to flash my GPU bios to.

The GPU OC was stable for a month and solidly tested, while playing Crysis I got a warning from the Crysis game that, "Your emulation software is conflicting with the Crysis game engine", since I only have whats necessary to run my games on my machine, I was baffled at what emulation software is was referring to.

The only thing I could think of was Riva Tuner but I'd never considered it as being emulation software or that it could conflict with some games, but I did have it set to startup with Windows and apply the OC settings.

Since my OC settings were solid I decided to go ahead and flash my GPU to the OC settings, setting them as the default settings of the card, uninstalled Riva Tuner as I didn't need it anymore, and the Crysis situation went away.

Then out of sheer curiosity I reran a benchmark that was run while Riva Tuner was installed, and with the GPU flashed to the OC'd settings instead of the Riva Tuner software forcing it to run the OC settings the benchmark score increased by 1,000 points.

My suggestion to all NOTE!! = [And you do this at your own expense, I take no responsibility for you screwing up your own GPU, since GPU BIOS flashing guides are clearly stickied right above, neither does THGF for my suggestions.]

Is to use Riva Tuner to test your GPU for its optimum stable OC and then flash those OC settings to the GPU as its new default settings, your performance will increase, test and see.

I'm not bashing Riva Tuner here guys, I'm trying my best to explain whats happened to me and my situation, I have and will continue to use Riva Tuner to discover my OCing GPU sweet spots, however I use Riva Tuner to discover a good solid OC setting and then flash my GPU to those settings as I've done for years now.

Riva Tuner is good and I definitely trust it, but I only use it for a stepping stone to discover what I need to know to flash the GPU to higher settings, then afterwards its not needed anymore.

Ryan

HyperBladeST

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006

You might have this problem if you ever installed Daemon-Tool, Alcohol120% or anything that can emulate CD/DVD-ROM. And yes it can still be a problem even AFTER you uninstalled them.

About RivaTuner and EVGA Precision : both worked great for me.

True, but can you explain away the 1,000 point benchmark increase after the only difference is the uninstallation of Riva tuner?

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
thats what i always do.find stable OC then flash the BIOS so even after windwos reinstall the card will stay OC.but i will point out again.i never experience ANY problem with rivatuner with any game in any possible situation.

for novice is not good to flash the VGA BIOS as its more risky then flashing a mobo BIOS.any manufacture's provide OC software is based on Rivatuner so Rivatuner is reliable otherwise EVGA and Gainward etc wouldnt use it.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
than that just you shouldnt tick the Memory I/O input map but it doesnt make Rivatuner is bad for overclocking the graphics card which what you said in the title of this thread.which is misinforming about the wrong information.

there are so many reply here said no problem overclocking their video card with rivatuner.and isnt it abit stupid to against the majority which will make you look like the wrong one and tryto argue.

JLewis187

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
no no no no no no for overclocking your gpu its fine... I just think its ***** that it has a option that it saids it "helps your system" but in return it causes freezes and crashes... and Rivatuner is said to be downloaded by evga staff so who knows how many people have been having crashes just becuase they didnt tick that memory I/O thing off.. Why im maken this post so that people with errors know what the hell is going on.

JLewis187

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
evga precision has been worken bangen, and like its different ive noticed weird stranges with my settings of 785,1961,1061 clocks for my evga g92, but the evga precision sets it automaticly to 783, 1944, 1058 and it runs bangen... and i mean bangen. Ive been at 3.6ghz with not one single glitch for the past 4days. Vista ultimate X64 is pretty damn cool to, dont belive the hype lol.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008

Crysis and COD4 use the PunkBuster anti-cheat. Without the memory mapping the game will think RivaTuner is a threat. As for the 1000point difference, i have no idea...but congrats!

Sidenote: EVGA Precision is an improvement over RivaTuner. I'd suggest those that haven't switched over, do so.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Read your own link again. It's not Riva, it's the PunkBuster Pigsh!t. I'm here to help people out by telling them to boycott all games with this crap in them ...Oh, and all games with the Sony et al. DRM. You would be surprised at how fast they would remove it. Also, screw Vista and its DRM crap as well. [/end rant]

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008

I used Riva Tuner to OC my Asus 8800GTS 512 from 650/1625 /972 to 765/1910/1100 and increased fan speed to 80%
It idles at 45 degress and under load Max 53
3DMark06 score 15000 with E8500 OC'd to 3.8 GHz(check my sig for my setup)
I do not remember whether I ticked that memory map thing or not
I'm playing Battlefield 2142 which has Puncbuster with no issues
Can not complain from RivaTuner