Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Screen resolution problems

Last response: in Windows XP
May 26, 2010 7:04:00 PM

I tried to do a system recovery, because I had that "Personal Security" bug. But I had to call a tech and he reinstalled WinXP for me. He also put all of my files and folders into a Lost File on my desktop. But that did not save my pics and music, etc...which I guess is a different issue that I have.
This issue is that my screen resolutions keep reverting back to 640 even tho I have gone to settings and set them to where I want. All will be fine, then the screen goes black for a second, then back to that HUGE 640! I do use (don't laugh at me, LOL) AOL and play Pogo games from there. It seems to happen more from there, but it will happen randomly as well. I have a Nvidia Driver, Geforce GTX 480. I am not a geek at all, so please try to be gentle here! I don't even know what my sub-category should be! LOL

Thanks for any help!
May 26, 2010 7:15:27 PM

ScoutSFO said:
I tried to do a system recovery, because I had that "Personal Security" bug. But I had to call a tech and he reinstalled WinXP for me. He also put all of my files and folders into a Lost File on my desktop. But that did not save my pics and music, etc...which I guess is a different issue that I have.
This issue is that my screen resolutions keep reverting back to 640 even tho I have gone to settings and set them to where I want. All will be fine, then the screen goes black for a second, then back to that HUGE 640! I do use (don't laugh at me, LOL) AOL and play Pogo games from there. It seems to happen more from there, but it will happen randomly as well. I have a Nvidia Driver, Geforce GTX 480. I am not a geek at all, so please try to be gentle here! I don't even know what my sub-category should be! LOL

Thanks for any help!

Back up whatever files you have left, reformat the drive and do a fresh install of XP. When XP starts acting up, resetting the video, It's time to wipe it and start over. System restore does not usually fix that, doing a repair install of XP does not usually fix that, delete and reinstall of video drivers does not usually fix that. But you can try all of the above if you want.
You mentioned a security issue, time to get a high quality security application, the one you were using before did not work very well?
You need your motherboard drivers, your other hardware drivers, such as printer, your desktop applications such as microsoft office, etc...
The drivers can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website if you do not have the original driver disks.
May 26, 2010 7:24:04 PM

Thanks for such a quick reply! Why didn't the XP reinstall work from a tech who supposedly does this stuff all the time? And I paid him for that? Geez. I am not sure I know how to do all that you state, I will print this out and look up info on it. And which security app do you suggest? :sweat: 
Thanks again.
Related resources

Best solution

May 26, 2010 8:27:41 PM

First you need to clarify if the re-install of XP was a repair install, or a complete fresh install? Sounds like a repair install.
You had a security bug, but the bug was not entirely removed before restoring the system. And/or previous security systems you were using and/or the security bug (it was a virus) interfered with the proper re-installation of windows XP. The new viruses tend to do that.
Now I would make a thorough search for the lost files because they are probably still on the disk, just hidden. That's why you should scan the system, try another repair installation, before giving up and starting over again with a fresh install.
Open My computer
click control panel
click add remove software
what programs are installed? What's on the list?
Is the internet connection still working?
Do you know how to delete and reinstall the video drivers?
Do you have the disk for the nvidia drivers that came with the video card?
Do you have the windows XP operating system disk?
I would seriously buy a disk at the office supply store, or order from Amazon, Panda Internet Security 2010, or Nortin 360. These are the two systems that will give you the best chance of recovering your system. There are several other systems available, but they do not work as thoroughly, and they do not allow scanning the system before windows is started.
Put the security disk in the drive and start the computer, will the disk start a scan? if not...
Start windows, wait till windows is all booted up, put the disk in the drive, and allow the security to install and scan the system. Did the security install? Did it scan?
June 2, 2010 12:23:48 AM

Best answer selected by ScoutSFO.
June 2, 2010 12:31:05 AM

soundguruman said:
First you need to clarify if the re-install of XP was a repair install, or a complete fresh install? Sounds like a repair install.
You had a security bug, but the bug was not entirely removed before restoring the system. And/or previous security systems you were using and/or the security bug (it was a virus) interfered with the proper re-installation of windows XP. The new viruses tend to do that.
Now I would make a thorough search for the lost files because they are probably still on the disk, just hidden. That's why you should scan the system, try another repair installation, before giving up and starting over again with a fresh install.
Open My computer
click control panel
click add remove software
what programs are installed? What's on the list?
Is the internet connection still working?
Do you know how to delete and reinstall the video drivers?
Do you have the disk for the nvidia drivers that came with the video card?
Do you have the windows XP operating system disk?
I would seriously buy a disk at the office supply store, or order from Amazon, Panda Internet Security 2010, or Nortin 360. These are the two systems that will give you the best chance of recovering your system. There are several other systems available, but they do not work as thoroughly, and they do not allow scanning the system before windows is started.
Put the security disk in the drive and start the computer, will the disk start a scan? if not...
Start windows, wait till windows is all booted up, put the disk in the drive, and allow the security to install and scan the system. Did the security install? Did it scan?

Thanks so much. I have not had the time to do this yet. And, yes, I am a bit intimidated to even try, but I will and I will let you know.
What is the best way to back up? That Carbonite thing?
June 2, 2010 12:54:30 AM

The best deal to back up is Mozy. The first 2 GB are free. Load the mozy application, use the settings to adjust what you want to save. Just save your personal documents, not the entire system. Then it will fit on 2 GB free storage.
Don't be scared to try a repair. You will learn valuable information, the more you learn about repairing your PC, the more money you will save in the future.
June 3, 2010 1:09:56 AM

Panda Internet Security 2010 has the best protection.
!