Sign in with
Your question

"HD9600WCGDBOX IM" phenom at tiger direct

Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2008 4:22:31 AM

i'm interested to know what the "IM" at the end means. its still a b2 stepping, however it commands a $40 premium over HD9600WCGDBOX. (regular 259.99, and "IM" version 299.99)
i'd not even've noticed, except it struck me odd that they listed 3 am2+ cpu's for sale. wonder if this is the black edition...
anyone have any info on this "IM" thingy? and can we spare the instant message jokes?
January 3, 2008 5:08:33 AM

dario77 said:
i'm interested to know what the "IM" at the end means. its still a b2 stepping, however it commands a $40 premium over HD9600WCGDBOX. (regular 259.99, and "IM" version 299.99)
i'd not even've noticed, except it struck me odd that they listed 3 am2+ cpu's for sale. wonder if this is the black edition...
anyone have any info on this "IM" thingy? and can we spare the instant message jokes?

unlocked multiplier maybe?
aka BE
January 3, 2008 5:16:54 AM

you'd think they'd draw attention to it if it indeed were the black edition, though. and its "IM", not "UM".
"Intelligent Multiplier"?
"Irrefutably Mediocre"?
understand, i'm an AMD fan, too...it hurts me to call it irrefutably mediocre...but it nevertheless holds true of this stepping.
why a black edition b2?
Related resources
a c 126 à CPUs
January 3, 2008 10:04:04 PM

As far as I can tell, nothing. It shows the same exact specs and there is no info online. Plus Tiger Direct has their info wrong as even AMD states its 2MB L3. Also here is a question for you, why would they price a 9600 BE the same as a plain 9600? Kinda defeats the purpose of even releasing a regular Phenom 9600.
January 3, 2008 10:10:38 PM

IM stands for Intel Made :) 
January 3, 2008 10:32:37 PM

It stands for Instant Messenger. AKA, buy this for your drama queen daughter so she can finally instant message in HD.
January 3, 2008 11:44:33 PM

lol, someone should buy, see what it really is with cpuz then return it, unless its a black edition.

just an idea.. :) 
January 3, 2008 11:52:50 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Also here is a question for you, why would they price a 9600 BE the same as a plain 9600? Kinda defeats the purpose of even releasing a regular Phenom 9600.

If you understood that the real purpose of locking the multipliers was to prevent counterfeiters from remarking CPUs as a higher speed-bin and to stem warranty returns from failed CPUs to due negligent overclocks, rather than to squeeze enthusiasts to pay more, it makes perfect sense. The EEs & FXs were more expensive not solely for the fact that the multiplier was unlocked, but rather mostly for the higher speed-bin you were getting over mainstream. Those special editions required more expensive testing to find the highest speeds and yields were only the top few % for a given mainstream batch, it would only make sense that they'd be more expensive. Now if you are simply releasing a mainstream CPU with an unlocked multiplier, an anodized heat spreader, and wanted to win back more enthusiast market share, you'd release that processor for the mainstream price, with the caveat that negligent overclocking *will* void the warranty. This is exactly what AMD is doing. There is nothing inherently different about the die under the different colored heat spreader.

Nevermind that the damn thing is defective...

At this point, counterfeiters will be unable to sell these as higher speed-binned mainstream parts because the heat-spreader, a physical part of the CPU, is itself different than the mainstream, and is still the same speed-bin regardless. The only danger would be in remarked black editions, but I suspect trying to remark it would ruin the anodized coating, thus making the counterfeit more easily detectable.

In any case, it doesn't negate the point of having a plain 9600 at all as not everyone wants a "black edition". You should be aware of the fact that non-overclockers (i.e. majority of customers) don't care about an unlocked multiplier anyway.

It would figure that finally a PC parts manufacturer is doing something nice for it's customers, and rather than just quietly appreciate the gesture, you complain because you don't have the privilege of paying more for it. :sarcastic: 
!