Sign in with
Your question

Patriot, Gskill ram question

Last response: in Memory
January 23, 2008 7:23:57 PM

I read a lot of recommendations for both Gskill and Patriot ram in these forums. I have tried both of these brands twice on both Gigabyte, and ASUS boards and they were crap in each case. My definition of crap is that either they failed outright, or performance was dismal at best.

My question is, What am I missing here? Neither brand is the cheapest nor most expensive, they don't seem to be on the approved list for many motherboards, and I have read numerous posts where they were the root of various new build problems. And yet, post after post, I see them recommended.

So I ask again, what am I missing here?

I generally stick with Crucial or Corsair, and have even used A-data, Geil, and OCZ on occasion, but I am always open to new suggestion.

Can anyone shed some light?
January 24, 2008 5:30:38 PM

You have to give some system / RAM info for some light to be shed and define what a dismal performance is just as you defined crap. :) 

Perhaps you have an issue with your MOBO if you have an unusually high amount of RAM failing...or you are overclocking to egg frying temperatures...or you are just one unlucky SOB!
January 24, 2008 6:11:10 PM

I'm running GSkill ddr2 800 RAM

Works great in my board at least....It's the only time I've used it....

Have had it clocked 900 @ 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v

currently its at 960 @ 5-5-5-15 @ 2.075v

Can't speak for the brand, but they're working out for me.
Related resources
January 24, 2008 7:07:46 PM

In years past, I rmember reading of a lot of troubles with Patriot ram, but for the last year or two, those troubles seem to have disappeared. Its like they got the point and started better quality control, so maybe your experience is with the older stuff. I can't remember reading anything negative about Gskill, but some bad experiences may be out there.

I've used mainly Corsair through the years, with some OCZ. I had a lot of trouble with some Corsair high performance ram a couple summers back, so experience can vary. I eventually came to the conclusion that the ram wasn't working well with my motherboard. Some OCZ worked fine in that particular mobo, but I'm not too down on Corsair, just more cautious about what works with what mobo.
January 25, 2008 5:02:35 AM

SpinachEater said:
You have to give some system / RAM info for some light to be shed and define what a dismal performance is just as you defined crap. :) 

Perhaps you have an issue with your MOBO if you have an unusually high amount of RAM failing...or you are overclocking to egg frying temperatures...or you are just one unlucky SOB!

Sorry should have been more specific. Discounting the Patriot for out right failures in the old DDR days, I have tried both Patriot and Gskill 2x1gb DDR2 667 and 800, two different sets of each brand, on ASUS and Gigabyte socket 775 boards ranging from Via 880 chipsets, to p35 chip sets. I knew going in that neither brand was on the approved list for the chosen motherboards, but had seen numerous posts of others using these combos.

One set of the Patriot was DOA, and the other threw errors from memtest on the Gigabyte p35. The Gskill ran error free, but received low scores in Sandra, Vista, and in general, the system just seemed sluggish. Replacing with Corsair or Crucial solved the problem.

My main point was, I have seen rave reviews(non-fanboyish) of these memory products, but have no evidence to back them up. It just does not compute. I was attempting to do research on the type of DRAM chips they use, etc... but came up empty.

I guess the bottom line is, I just do not understand what is supposed to be so great about these products. I have no brand loyalty, and as such, am always looking for what gives me the best bang for the buck. It seems for me, at least, it will not be Patriot or Gskill.

January 25, 2008 5:31:26 AM

Im very happy with my 2gb set of g.skill.popped it in with no problems and error free,just how memory should be.
January 25, 2008 5:48:25 AM

tlmck said:

My main point was, I have seen rave reviews(non-fanboyish) of these memory products, but have no evidence to back them up. It just does not compute. I was attempting to do research on the type of DRAM chips they use, etc... but came up empty.

Here's a site that givess some information on the IC chips used by various companies:

http://ramlist.ath.cx

As you can see, Corsair, Gskill, Patriot and the others use a variety of IC chips depending on which ram module is selected. As can be expected, the ones that use the Micron ICs are the most expensive, but typically have the best reputation and best overclocking ability.
January 25, 2008 7:09:48 AM

Thanks for the link. Very enlightening.
January 25, 2008 1:21:59 PM

So you ran the G.Skill on two different MOBOS and found it was sluggish on both?

Were the Corsair and Crucial modules comparable (latency, voltage, ..ect..ect) to the G.Skill?

I just put some G.Skill in a macbook that wasn't "approved" ram from macs but it seems to work excellent. It is noteworthy that others had done the exact same thing with the same G.Skill modules. I sort of think the approved crap is a lot of BS but maybe you found a legit scenario.

January 25, 2008 10:37:14 PM

Corsair and Crucial both worked fine. While the approved list is not definitive, I have found in 22 years of building that deviating from it just invites troubleshooting headaches. My experience of course predates the approved lists on the internet. Back in the old days we had a word of mouth approved list.

Once again, not trying to bash any brands, just trying to find out what all the hoopla is about, and to expand the repertoire of potential parts. As per Sailer above, I too am a fan of Micron chips and it appears that Patriot and Gskill use various drams according to the link above. These are the ones I tried in the systems listed in my "informations", along with an ASUS P5K my brother has. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think I'll just stick with mainly Crucial and Corsair, and add Wintec AmpX to my list.
January 25, 2008 11:45:01 PM

You ask why people recommend Gskill and Patriot. The very obvious answer is that these brands have worked for them and possibly people they know. That does not equate to 'hoopla' as you call it.

tlmck said:
While the approved list is not definitive, I have found in 22 years of building that deviating from it just invites troubleshooting headaches.

Absolutely true if you are building machines for resale. The enthusiast usually doesn't care what's officially approved or not.

tlmck said:
Once again, not trying to bash any brands

Quite the opposite; you've made your biases very clear and your post is obviously attempting to sway us to your two favorites.
January 26, 2008 3:06:31 AM

Yeah that link is great btw.

I found it interesting that your switch to Crucial and/or Corsair brought about notable changes. It looks like Crucial sticks tight with the micronICs but Corsair is a bit spotty. By what magnitude of performance gains did you see? Did you run any tests to compare numbers by chance?

Well...the hoopla could be from people that don't go through too much RAM to see the differences. They get their RAM, it works, it over clocks... they give it 10 out of 10 and end of story. If they got to throw in some other modules and do some real comparisons, it would probably be a different story. I do have to say though, it seems that as long as people can OC some hardware they give it two thumbs up regardless of numbers.

P.S. Why u flaming carver and wtf are you talking about enthusiasts not caring? That is a naive statement. You had no input but that? Nice job.
January 26, 2008 8:16:48 AM

SpinachEater said:
Yeah that link is great btw.

I found it interesting that your switch to Crucial and/or Corsair brought about notable changes. It looks like Crucial sticks tight with the micronICs but Corsair is a bit spotty. By what magnitude of performance gains did you see? Did you run any tests to compare numbers by chance?

Well...the hoopla could be from people that don't go through too much RAM to see the differences. They get their RAM, it works, it over clocks... they give it 10 out of 10 and end of story. If they got to throw in some other modules and do some real comparisons, it would probably be a different story. I do have to say though, it seems that as long as people can OC some hardware they give it two thumbs up regardless of numbers.

P.S. Why u flaming carver and wtf are you talking about enthusiasts not caring? That is a naive statement. You had no input but that? Nice job.
I beleive I mentioned my benchmarks in my orginal post. I did not mention my personal favorite benchmark, my eyes. I have been using and or working on PC's since they were invented. I know a bad one when I see it.

At any rate, having seen the numerous positive reviews of these two brands, along with all the "problem" posts, I was hoping to get some difinitive proof either way. If these are indeed good products, I want to add them to "my" list. I probably just should have written them off and not even posted.

I do tend to agree with your point on the 10 out of 10 thing.

Don't worry about Carver. I ignore flameboys and fanboys. Usually the same animal. Occasionally they do "grow up".

January 26, 2008 6:06:54 PM

tlmck said:
Don't worry about Carver. I ignore flameboys and fanboys. Usually the same animal. Occasionally they do "grow up".

See, that's my point exactly. You say you ignore fanboys, but your entire thread is a thinly disguised fanboy thread for Corsair and Crucial.

SpinachEater; I just called it like I saw it. That's not always the same as flaming.
January 26, 2008 6:55:08 PM

SpinachEater said:
wtf are you talking about enthusiasts not caring?

I just mean that some or most enthusiasts feel comfortable going outside of an approved list of RAM because he/she has more extended knowledge on how to tweak memory to work how they want it to. There are, however, specific mainboard/RAM combinations that are well documented as not working well together, which is the exception.

January 28, 2008 3:04:46 AM

I see what you are saying now. I was getting offended because it sounded like you were wrapping the intelligent builders together with the people who just get the highest dollar parts and slap them together with no forethought.

Choosing products based on knowledge and experiencing better performance gains is contradictory of being a fanboy. If he was saying that Crucial is totally sweet with no reasoning, then I would agree with you.

Yeah flaming has a huge gray area...I wouldn't consider this response a flame but it is probably borderline. I guess yours wasn't a flame...it is just a negative approach to jump in on a post with contradictions and accusations.

On the subject side of the matter...It would be nice to see people that have bad experiences with products list some info about their system rather than just saying it sucks and they hate it. Others could at least get some information or some sort of feel if a MOBO for example has issues with certain hardware setups.

!