is my 380W psu powerful enough?

alim

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Hi folks,

I'm new here. Can anyone tell me if the 380W PSU I have used to build my new computer is powerful enough? Here are my systems specs:

Foxconn 8600 GTS 700/1100 OC
Intel Pentium e2160
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L (rev 2.0) mobo
2Gb Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4
320 GB Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 SATA-II HD
LITE-ON 20x DVD-burner
ANTEC EA380 380W Earthwatts PSU
FireWire 1394 card
CoolerMaster Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW case
Internal flash card reader
LEADTEK TV2000XP TV/FM tuner card
D-link WDA-1320 54M 11B/G wireless network card

I really appreciate any answers!

I ask because I'm having problems with my graphics cards. Here's a description of the problem:
- Computer works normally when I'm not playing 3D video games.
- CPU, memory and other components passed stress tests such as BurnInTest and memtest.
- Graphics card passed 3dMark06 twice.
However, when I play 3D video games such as Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2, PES6 or FIFA World Cup 06, after 1 - 2 minutes of playing, the game freezes, sound loops and I have to reboot the PC (can't Alt-TAB to windows or with Windows key).
I've been able to eliminate the problem by underclocking the graphics card to 675/1015 and setting the fan at 100% using nTune (it came OC'd out of the box).

Memory and CPU are not OC'd, and temps never pass 38 C for the CPU. Temp for the graphics card never passed 41 C. I've installed the latest nvidia drivers.

Thanks everybody,
'Alim

sailer

Splendid
Since the computer freezes within minutes of you starting a game, I'd guess that the psu doesn't have enough power. The Earthwatts 380 is a good psu, but just might not be enough in this case. Perhaps you should look for something closer to 500wts.

Alternatively, it could be the graphics card that is causing the problem. If possible, you could try your graphics card in different computer and see if the problem follows it. I say this because you write that the problem goes away when you underclock the 8600, thereby dropping the power load and heat. I one time had a 1900 XTX that had a memory failure. The computer would start and run normally until I started a game. Then the memory would overheat and the computer would freeze up. If your card works well in a different computer, then it probably isn't the fault of the card, and that leaves the psu as being the problem.

alim

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Sometimes I can still alt-tab out of a game or switch back to windows xp with the windows key. If the power draw is too high for the PSU, shouldn't it cut off the power completely?
Would you recommend getting a power consumption device like Kill-a-watt to measure how much power the computer is using?

alim

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Also, what I don't get is why 3dMark06 and the nTune stability test both pass while games, even old ones like Need for Speed, freeze.
Last night I tried Battle Front II. That worked for about 20 minutes and then froze.

randomizer

Champion
If it was the PSU that the system would most likely BSOD or reboot, and certainly not allow you to alt-tab. It appears as though the problem may be the card more than the PSU, but don't count it totally out yet.

randomizer

Champion
I never had a BSOD either, but if the hard drive temporarily lost power during a page file read/write that might happen. Chances are that 99% of the time it will just reboot though. That or fry altogether.

alim

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Thanks for the responses. I bought a 430W Thermaltake PSU and connected to the system: still have the same problem.
I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro, installed only the mobo drivers and the nvidia drivers that came with the card: still have the same problem.
I updated the nvidia drivers to the latest version: same problem.
With the newest drivers one thing is different: I get a warning window saying that nvd4.dll had to be shutdown, and the resolultion and color drop down to 640x480 and 8-bit and I have to restart the computer to get normal resolution and color again. Sometime I get the BSOD. (This did not happen with drivers prior to v169).
Can I conclude that the video card is the problem?

You downgraded, the Antec 380 provides 27 amps to the +12v rails and has an 80% efficiency rating, the Tt430 only provides 18 amps to the +12v and has a much lower 65%+ efficiency rating.

bjmarler

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Yep, the other psu was better. Why? All the hype of "more watts is better" is just incorrect. You need a lot of amps on the 12 volt rail to properly run modern video cards, not watts. Check the manufactureres specs for what they require for amps to run the video card.

So, it's better to have slightly lower watts, but higher amps rather than having higher watts and lower amps.

kcrush

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
With todays graphics cards, if you play good 3d games I wouldn't even consider a ps less than 500w. Especially since you aren't doing bare bones (hard drive, video card, onboard sound, end of story) computer. You paid for the parts run them at full speed, don't downgrade them just cause the PS can't handle it.

A good 500w power supply isn't that expensive so there is no point in trying to be too cheap and getting the absolute min you need. Give yourself some breathing room and not all power supplies are created equal, so you gotta check the specs to make sure they are giving you the power on all the rails.

If yer trying to do the min watts possible its a bit harder to sort through all the power supplies to find one that is efficient enough to give you what you need. Once you jump up a level or two you realize there are plenty of power supplies that will give you what you need and give you room to expand in the future.

I have extreme doubts its the PSU....since i can run a E6600 + X1900XT(same power as a 8800 GTX 640) on a Antec TP 380(18 amps 65% at half load PSU).

My current system, see more into - user config(hint Q6600 @ 3 + 8800GTX + 6 HDD's + TV card and SB Audigy 2zs) @ full load(F@H + Games) about 330(on rare occasion 345 or so...) watts from the wall.....so under 300(DC) for the full system.....

alim

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I guess I should try a better PSU just to be sure. Since this is my first time building a computer with ATX12V I want to make sure I am getting the connections right: I have connected the 20+4 pin main connector and the 12V 4 pin CPU connector to the mobo and the 12V 6 pin PCI-E connector to the 8600GTS. Or should I only connect the 20 pin main connector since I'm using the PCI-E connector on the graphics cards? (If I understand correctly, both the 4 extra pins on the main connector and the 6 pin PCI-E connectors connect to the 12V1 rail.)
How important is it that the two rails be independent?

Independent rails are not needed....but its a part of the standard.

Yes you need the 24 pin main cable(20+4, most boards will run with 20 anyway, but you have 24 so good) and the 4 pin 12 volt for the cpu. The 6 pin connector is for the video card.

So it looks like your in order....

How loud does your psu get. since if its not loud(psu it self...not the system) its not heavily loaded since after about 60-70% or so the fan starts to get loud(er)....

It would also be good if you could try to check your voltages, maybe the psu is defective....but a 380(hell even one with only 18 amps should do for that system since 8600's are not that power hungry) should run your system....

bjmarler

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Actually multiple 12v rails for the psu is more inefficient vs having one good 12v rail. It's better to have one really good 21v rail with high amps then multiple 12v rails with each having low amps.

alim

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I have run stress tests like memtest and BurninTest for 6+ hours and never had a problem. 3dMark2006 passed fine too. And I have never seen temperatures above 40c for CPU and case or above 41c for the graphics card. I will however run more tests just to be sure.
What's a good utility to monitor temp? MBM 5 doesn't have a config for my mobo. And the utility i have been using, Easy Tune 5, provided with my gigabyte mobo doesn't show temps from the tray or from a small window - it has to be maximized to show temps. I'd rather switch to something else. Any recommendations?

alim

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007

What's high amps? The Antec EA380 has 27 A for both 12V rails together. Is that high enough?

As for wattage, the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5 (http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine) calculates that at peak load my system should draw 273W. Should I get a Kill-a-Watt device to measure the wattage?

well with 273 watts, even if it was all on the 12 volt rail(s) and it not, would be 23(22.75)Amps. An the PSU calc assume everything is at FULL load and hard drive working DVD drive burning and it over estimates a bit too....

Do you have access to a multimeter? you can then monitor voltages more accurately. in a molex(ODD/HDD connector) connector Black to Red is the 5 volt line and black to yellow is 12...The specs give the amount of variance one can have. You want to try to keep it within 5% but as long as it does not move too much under load its not a problem....

a quick heads up on power...

powerlh4.gif

System 1 - Bioshock + Fah SMP
Case: Antec 900(4 120mm fans + 200mm fan) - Like it matters
PSU: OCZ 700watt - near 80 percent efficient at common loads on 120 volts
Board: P35 DS3R
CPU: Q6600 @ 3.00
CPU cooling : Zalman 9500 @ 500-2200 rpms(PWM)
Memory: 2x 1024MB ,2X 512MB @ 4,4,4,10 - 2 volts
Video: 8800GTX 600(core) 1400(shader) 900 x2(memory) - Factory OC
Storage:
2x WDC 250gig (Raid0)
2x Seagate 320gig(Storage)
2x Seagate 500gig(Storage)
1x 500gig Seagate (Backup-external) not on for power test
Optical drive: Pioneer DVR-115DBK
KB/Mouse: Logitech Access 600, G9 Mouse
TV card: PVR 250
Sound: Creative SB Audigy 2zs

System 2 - F@H
Case: Antec Sonata(with 2 Yate Loon 120mmfans) - Like it matters
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 430 - 80+ (Up to 85% according to SPCR @ my load about 80%)
Board: Asus K8V SE Deluxe
CPU: Athlon 64 3200+(under volted to 1.4 volts)
CPU cooling : Zalman 7000 @ 1600-2200 rpms(Speedfan Keeps it at 52c)
Memory: 2x 512MB Value Select.
Video: Asus Geforce 4 ti4200
Storage:
1 x WDC 120gig
Optical drive: External DVD - Off
KB/Mouse: Logitech Access 600, Logitech LX3
Sound: Creative SB Live! Value

Other Stuff thats on

1 Motorola Cable Modem
1 SMC 4 port Router
1 Linsys 5 port Swtich
1 Samsung 950b (LCD)
1 Altec Lansing Select 641

Once I take off the extras(210 watts) My system just 343 MAX. it still averages around 320 on games and 260 just folding....and thats just AC load....so the DC load is at least 20% lower...

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Someone had a very similar problem they were trouble shooting here so I figured I'd post a breif discription since after lots of trial and error it ended up being so darn simple it wasnt even funny.

They were having problems with what sounded like lack of power to the GPU with a dual rail PSU. All that needed to be done was some power plugs swapped around because too many things were plugged into the rail that also powered the GPU. Once the load was better balanced between the two rails the issue was gone completly.

This may or may not be the case with your issue but its worth a try since its easy, quick, and free to just try it out.