Sign in with
Your question

Second graphics card disappeared!

Last response: in Motherboards
January 23, 2008 8:27:27 PM

Hey,

I've got an A8N32-SLI Deluxe with two Nvidia 7800GTX cards in SLI. I usually have SLI toggled off as I use two monitors (each is connected to one gfx card respectively). However, some days ago the second monitor shows no picture. Problems (blue screens, reboots) started when I began to use an USB TV-card a week ago (which is unplugged now).

I installed new gfx drivers and ran my parallell x86 OS and no change. So we're dealing with a hardware problem. I guess.

I interchanged the cables/monitors and they both work. I switched position of both gfx cards and they both seem to work fine. So then there has to be something wrong with my second PCI-E slot. (It's powered - fans are on).

Do you agree with this conclusion? Have I missed something? What could be the cause? Do I need to get a new motherboard? (Is that kind for sale still? New sockets on new AMDs). It's still under warranty, but I want to make sure it's something I can't fix before I send it in.

Thanks,
Ilya
January 24, 2008 10:02:58 AM

Check PCI-e slot for damage.
Check Device Manager for warnings or problems.

I think I would try and send it back.
January 24, 2008 10:07:54 AM

uninstall nvidia drivers - remove 2nd card - then install drivers and add 2nd card... USB TV might of tripped config.......
Related resources
January 25, 2008 1:49:23 PM

PCI-e slot checked for damage. None found.
Device Manager show no device problems or warnings.

I uninstalled the nvidia drivers, removed the 2nd card, reinstalled the drivers and readded the card.

It still won't detect anything. :( 
January 27, 2008 5:03:43 PM

Crap, got a blue screen while doing some work and now it won't post again. Have no choice but to send it in. :( 
!