G92 8900 release date

the yeti

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I heard that the 8900 GTX 0r 9800 GTX or whatever the name is is commin out in a month or two, but may be delayed till june 08!! =[ Anyone know when nvidias next card is really to come out, and will it be worth the wait? Im thinkin about the 8800 GTS g92 but i have been waiting for upgrades since January '07!!! I dont want to buy the gts and find out that the next card is comming out in a month... all the waiting wasted!!!

All commnents greatly apprechiated!

O and dont tell me that the waiting was dumb cause a new card will always come out in another 5 months or so... i have been waiting only for DX10 and thought it was to soon to buy the technology... but recently i havent seen much performance increase on the new cards... maybe i should have just gotten the ultra, its still on top =[

I have the EVGA 8800 GTX ANS3 768mb card and it was on top until the Ultra was released 4 months after I made the purchase. Tbh, they are both very expensive compared to the 8800GT 512MB cards and if I had the time to go over again I would just get two 8800GT's and go SLI. If you plan to go SLI this is a strong consideration because unless money is no object to you its just not practical to go with the GTX cards for no more performance gain than you get with the GT approx 1/2 the price.

This way you wont be sick about your overspending when the newer cards come out that support the faster PCI-Express bus over the current GTX cards. I believe the GT cards already support the faster bus speed.

Again, if money is no object go with 2 Ultra cards and go SLI, that is the fastest option. If you want to keep it reasonable go with two GT's, they will outperform a single Ultra card...

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nobody knows and the NDA game is in place even though there is currently no competition in the high end graphics market.

I've heard a ton of BS tossed out, but the facts are the reviewers will sign their NDA's, do there testing, when given the OK will release results and hope to make a few bucks along the way.

My only hope is the long time coming for the next gen nVidia card will at least provide drivers that work in all titles rather than current state of affairs which is release Beta drivers that fix some titles, break others, and the cycle keeps on going and going and going and PC gamers keep on moving to consoles.

And NDA folks are just so happy they got their sample and can write their review for an ever shrinking audience. Then those paying to keep the sites alive with review are gonna look at the hit counts and the checks will stop coming...then they'll have to dig up stupid Anti-Apple articles just so they can get some hit count back...apparently those stupid articles certainly don't seem to stop Apple 135% growth and stock price from hitting yet more records at over $200/share.

Sorry, I may seem a little discouraged, but I just keep seeing PC gaming sales decline and rather than seeing those in the industry truly unit to keep it alive, they just keep doing the same old game til the ship shinks.

the yeti

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
hmmm.... i shall wait... but if that card doesnt come out by febuary... im gunna go crazy! >=[ Unless theres cake =]

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
The 8800 GTS 512 (G92) looks as though it is the best we will get from that core. The GTS has all 128 stream processors enabled, so we wont see a G92 based GTX. The next GTX will be G100 based and will be 9 series. NVIDIA likes to beat ATI to the punch and fortunately it looks as though R700 could be ~ 6 months away (based on the rumors that R700 is taped out and off to FAB, and will be previewed at CeBIT). Hopefully we'll see the 9800 GTX in 3-4 months.

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
What card do you have now? Is there a pressing reason for your want to upgrade? OR is it just you want to spend some money because you feel that it is time? I have that same "Techno-lust" that is why I asked. I thought Crysis would be just horrible on my ATI X1900xtx and I was itching to get a new card before it came out. Glad I did not!! It plays remarkably well. Do I want a HD 3870?, yes, but I am almost finished with Crysis (settings on high) Granted I a on a 27" widescreen with 1280*720 res. I am now content to wait on the next gen of ATI cards (W/2 GPU cores)or wait untill the supply of 3870's is such that they sell at MSRP and get possibly 2 of them. So the question still is do you really need to upgrade or just want to?

If you do not really need to hopefully this can talk you down and wait a little more patiently for the new gear to come. NOW if you find a great deal by all means do it. I bought a new ASUS Max Formula SE and a boxed Q6600 (G0-SLACR)for well under $450 back in November - still haven't had the time to put it together. Wanted it but didn't need it really but for the price couldn't pass it up. Will put it together this weekend.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

You should put that together, it sounds like a sweet setup.

As far as GPU's go, I've had my GTX's since Dec. of last year 06, I'll limp along with them until the 8900(whatever) rolls out, if folks want an upgrade they should get one 8800GT and wait it out till new models are released.

I agree that the 8800GT is the way to go for now. I would consider selling my GTX and get two GTs and go SLI. I doubt that I will spend another 650.00 on a second card when you have better cards coming out soon...

Rolenio

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007

I'd like to limp like that...

To yeti: If you really need it to play games, I say don't waste your life waiting, buy a 8800GT or GTS now. They are reasonably priced and I don't think will get much cheaper when hi-end cards come out.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006

Im in the same boat, I remember when I brought the cards that I was sure the next ATI would be out in a month and wipe the floor with them, so much for hype and the rumour mill... The last years card selection has robbed my son of his free computer upgrades, my GTX's should have been retired to his system by now...

Its all well and good for bragging rights having a graphics card with such a long run at the upper end of the ladder, but Ive been wanting more power for ages now, and all Ive seen is budget releases. I like to game at 2048x1536, and some games can really struggle...

Fortunately the Full version of crysis actually ran far better than the demo on my system, so Ive actually been able to play crysis quite nicely at all settings high, when I did that with the demo the system crawled... Still Id like to to be able to crank up the resolution and get the AA higher.

In todays market if I was itching to get a new card to play games Id buy the 8800 GT, great performance for a bargain price cheap enough to not be a killer even if the next card is a decent leap in performance. I was prepared to buy the 8800GTX as soon as it came out despite "knowing" it was going to be whipped by the next new card in a months time, value for money came into the equation, I thought long and hard about how to spend the money but determined that the GTX represented good value for money compared to the GTS or the ATI1950 series (which had been on the shopping list the week before!) I "knew" that the part was going to be beaten in the near future but thats the nature of IT. My old rigs were dieing, I couldnt play the games I wanted to play, I had the money available.

I am so VERY glad I didnt play the waiting game... I wouldnt buy a GTX today as I dont think its worth the price premium over the GT, But I would happily snap up a GT despite the fact that we "know" that a new high end part is in the works...

tsf

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
in my opinion, nvidia is in no hurry to show their 9800/8900 magic just yet unless ati developed something to take the performance crown.
until then, we get to suck on more versions of 8800 with even more factory overclocks (same g92)!!!!!

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

So do I. What I really wanted to arrive this holiday season was the 780G boards, with hybrid Crossfire. Then I found out the first generation will only work in hybrid mode with X2400, 3450 and 3470 cards. I read somewhere that a reference board with a 3450 could do 30 fps in Crysis, but I don't know what resolution and I can't find the reference again, so it could be my bad memory or just dodgy info.

Ideally, hybrid Crossfire should work with the 3650's too, but they might slow down the 3850's and 3870's. We'll have to wait for February or March to see independent results. Right now, we're using onboard 690G video on two PC's and a 7600gs in the third. So, I definitely will get 3850's for the two 690G boards but wanted to replace the Nvidia 405 chipset board I don't like with hybrid Crossfire.

Waiting for tech to arrive is a pain. I wasn't expecting R700 in 2008, but if it's expected in June, then the 3850 in late February or early March just seems too close. Unless of course AMD decides to go enthusiast for the first card instead of mainstream.

As for games, I generally wait till they've been out for 6 months and patched before I buy. Heck, I'm replaying Morrowind, after replaying Oblivion and my wife's been replaying Daggerfall, so I haven't even started on The Witcher or Hellgate London yet (we're hard core CRPG fans). When will we see DX10 CRPG's where if a mage casts a fireball, a tree as well as the monsters will get toasted?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Nvidia isn't done milking the G92 chip, Feb we might see a G92 based duel GPU graphics card. NVidia has no reason to update its high-end since ATI has no challenge. NVidia's time is better spent working on all the drivers bugs for the new 9800GTX so when it does come out it''ll make your computer meltdown into a ball of plastic and metal.

Ironnads

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007

I've mentioned this before - Sadly I think it's gonna be the case.. Even Nvid fannies need to realise how much in debt they are to ATI, in getting nvid to bring there latest "arabbits" out th' hat. Nvid's gonna be sittin sweet on the waitin game and we're munchin rabbit droppins.
Ryan Adds

I had bought the 8800GTS with the idea to get a second one for SLI later and after having that card installed for 3 days I did some benchmarks and was getting around 9000+. Then the realization hit me that if I am going to sink another 300-400 bucks into a second card I should go back and just get the highest end card available and leave myself room for another upgrade later. So, I took the card back and got what was the most powerful card on the market at the time which was the EVGA 8800GTX ANS3. Out of 5 different card manufacturers EVGA was voted the best on THG so I went with it. A few short months later the Ultra was released putting my card in second place. It was too late to do the trade up when it was released and honestly from the benchmarks I was seeing there wasnt 150.00 difference in performance. After getting the ANS3 card my benchmarks went up to 11,000 and I was satisfied for the time being. :bounce:

Having the fastest is short lived and comes with a heavy cost so to those that teeter between spending good hard earned money that doesnt come easy you really need to look at the performance/price ratio before buying any card.

If you are a die hard enthusiast that can afford to pull out a 700.00 video card 6 months later and spend another 700.00 to get the next top dog without loosing any sleep then keep up the good work.

As I said before, if I had the current options to buy a new card starting from scratch right now with the line up of cards that are available I would definitely go with the 8800GT 512MB cards in SLI mode now. That may change soon but for now that is the best bang for the buck.

And Nvidia, just as Intel stands is in no hurry to release any faster products at this time until the competition is due to release something to better compete so they can milk all of the money from the currrent products before pulling out all stops. It's just smart business.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I am now hearing reports that the 9800GTX will have an 840MHz core clock, 256 Shader Processers clocked at 2350MHz and 2GB of GDDR5 on-board Vram clocked at 3200MHz. :ouch: It will cost $890. :ouch: I guess I'm willing to pay the high price. Theres a catch though, if you don't have a PCI-E 2.0 (for the extra wattage but not bandwidth) you won't be running this moster card!

I'm bullsh!ting you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006

you sure are bullshitting us! that's way under spec! i heard it's going to be 1.2THz core, 512k SPs @ 3.1416PHz with 16GB of XDR2 @ 256GHz, and it will come with its own version of Windows NT 18.2 to handle the extreme specs required by it internally. its minimum system specs however are a 486DX2 at 60MHz with 16MB of EDO-RAM, 70ns or less. and a free PCI-2.2 32-bit slot at 33MHz... since it runs all parts of all games onboard.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I'm guessing the 9800 GX2 will be twice the trouble with only 30% of gain.
I hope my 8800GT can last long enough for the real next-gen g100 to appear.
But then if the gain is more than 30%, I'll get very interested.

thepinkpanther

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
go and get the EVGA 8800gts, if a new card comes out within 3 months then step up to that card. I think the people who bought 8800gtx when it first came out were real smart, over a year and still undefeated(unless u xfire or sli!)

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
The EVGA step-up program sounds like the perfect answer to your dilema.

Buy the 8800GT/S G92 now, then step up to the new card when it comes out. Just keep in mind that the step-up is only good for 90 days...