Sign in with
Your question

Semiconductors Slide; AMD Trades in $6 Range

Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2008 1:17:41 PM

Semiconductors Slide; AMD Trades in $6 Range

http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=AMD
http://finance.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AINTC

AMD Market Capital now only 3.83 Billion.

My concern deepens over AMD's situation, I thought the bottom would be in the $8 range. This time AMD's decline is tied to the industry, but imagine what a bad earnings announcement would do for them.
January 3, 2008 1:24:52 PM

TC, I'm getting my invintory ready! I'm getting it all profesionaly audited and apraised so that by next month I'll be able to trade it for all outstanding AMD stock! And I'm warnin ya. When I'm CEO, I want respect on this board. Don't think you can slam me like you guys are doin to that wuss Hector! :) 
January 3, 2008 1:29:33 PM

Its almost time to buy AMD stock. I'm poor but I'll still try to buy 100 shares for ~$500 LOL! When they're stock gets back to $10 sometime mid to late 2008 I'll build a new AMD (if their new stuff is out) or Nehalem system with my profits.
Related resources
January 3, 2008 1:30:51 PM

hey wingles, why not put your $500 into OlSkoolChopper Inc.? (CHOP on the NASDICK) At least you'll get a personalized thank you note for it! :) 
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2008 1:57:29 PM

And a free Yorkie.
January 3, 2008 2:07:31 PM

AMD Stock may be tempting very soon.
January 3, 2008 2:33:12 PM

AMD stock may be toilet paper soon.
January 3, 2008 7:02:32 PM

Ya think it'll go down to $3? Now wouldn't that be tempting?
January 3, 2008 7:14:02 PM

And I thought the $10 mark was low... goes to show what I know about the stock market, they're pretty fickle aren't they?
January 3, 2008 7:36:54 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
My concern deepens over AMD's situation, I thought the bottom would be in the $8 range. This time AMD's decline is tied to the industry, but imagine what a bad earnings announcement would do for them.

My concern is deepening as well. Fortunately, AMD itself is not tied to its stock value, only the investors. I'm very glad that I dumped the last stock I had back when it was at $9.63. I do keep wondering, when is the right time to buy back in?

Hey buddy, ya got a dime? I want to by some AMD stock. No wait, Hector should be out on the street with the tin cup.

January 3, 2008 8:37:37 PM

AMD closes at 6.77, down 5.18%.
INTC closes at 24.67, down 2.68%.

That's back to back 5% loses during a bad time for semiconductors.
January 3, 2008 8:43:15 PM

We can now only wait and see what happens tomorrow, but at this rate, it won't be long until we'll be discussing AMD in the 5's. Then again, if the economy as a whole keeps diving, AMD in the 5's may not look too bad.

Yeah, a very bad time for the semiconductor industry. As money gets tight, people find that they can hold onto their old computer a bit longer.
a c 123 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 3, 2008 8:52:26 PM

Wow, Intels market cap is over 144 billion? Thats roughly(gets out calculator) 38.466666666666666666666666666667 times what AMD's is considering they dropped to 3.75billion.
All I can say is ouchies.
January 4, 2008 1:16:07 PM

Semiconductors are getting slaughtered again today. AMD is now trading in the lower 6's. Could $5 trading come next week?
January 4, 2008 1:46:55 PM

At that point of time, I would say yes. But I would note that I'm getting slaughtered across all my stocks; energy, banking, appliances, metals, heavy industry, etc. :cry: 

Its enough to drive a man to drink. That reminds me. I need to go to the store for some supplies. The weatherman says we're in for a bad storm tonight that might last for 3 or 4 days, with winds up to 150 MPH and snow up to 8 feet deep.
January 4, 2008 1:52:20 PM

Semiconductors are getting slaughtered again today. AMD is now trading in the lower 6's. Could $5 trading come next week?

Just a quarter away from that now, TC. 26 more cents and it's fives. This is like rubernecking at a plane crash.

Edit: Marketh the words of NostAMDamus: The Blue Machine will issue forth its Wolves and Yorks in Januarius to shoreth up its stocketh, bringing the final woe to the Greenery!
January 4, 2008 1:58:59 PM

Entire stock market is having a selloff.... I only have a few that actually gained this week.
January 4, 2008 2:04:10 PM

bfellow said:
Entire stock market is having a selloff.... I only have a few that actually gained this week.

Yeah, but most stocks can afford a corection. AMD has already done a faceplant and there aint much more to go. I say that it won't be a month and Hector is gonna be caried out in a guerney just like Britney! :pt1cable: 
January 4, 2008 2:08:34 PM

Hector's contract isn't up until April, so he gets paid no matter what.

And the autioneer's voice shouts out, "For AMD stock. Do I hear 7, 7, 7. What about 6, 6 is a real bargain. 5, 5, anybody? Isn't anybody going to bid at all?"
January 4, 2008 2:15:30 PM

Wow, has anyone seen the market today? Intel broke Nasdaq!

Down $1.70 right now. :( 
January 4, 2008 2:23:56 PM

wolverinero79 said:
Wow, has anyone seen the market today? Intel broke Nasdaq!

Down $1.70 right now. :( 

Could be worse. Cleveland Biolabs went from $8 to $3. I'm sure that Hector is loking at that stock rite now and saying that AMD's fall is not so bad!

Anyone for A Great Depression Part II? After all, I think some poeple are waking up to the reality that the world's economy cant stay afloat in $100 oil!
January 4, 2008 2:55:46 PM

OlSkoolChopper said:
Anyone for A Great Depression Part II? After all, I think some poeple are waking up to the reality that the world's economy cant stay afloat in $100 oil!

No, it may look bad at the moment, but this is nothing like the Great Depression. The stocks are still very high. Now if the market fell from 12,900 area to the 1,200, then we would be in deep trouble. Then again, I'm old enough to remember when the Dow was in the 600's. We're just so used to seeing high numbers that we've become spoiled.

As to oil, if it was adjusted properly for inflation, it would possibly be closer to $200 a barrel, maybe higher. Again, we're spoiled. I currently pay about $3 a gallon. My niece, who lives in Italy, pays over $10 a gallon. Not that I want to pay such high prices, but I try to keep things in perspective.
January 4, 2008 2:56:46 PM

Maybe by the time I get my income tax refund I'll invest it in AMD. Was planning to invest it somehow...
January 4, 2008 3:42:39 PM

sailer said:
My niece, who lives in Italy, pays over $10 a gallon.

The last time I filled my rental car's tank outside of Gatwick I paid US$11.08 a gallon. That has nothing to do with the cost of petrolium. It's 80% taxes! The EU gredy bastards are sucking that continent dry!
January 4, 2008 3:57:54 PM

deuce271 said:
Maybe by the time I get my income tax refund I'll invest it in AMD. Was planning to invest it somehow...

I really wish you people would stop looking at AMD at these levels as an investment. It is not an investment, it is an outright gamble at best. You folks should should just take all your money to Vegas. You will have just as good odds of coming out ahead, and even if you do lose all your money, you at least had a good time in the process.
January 4, 2008 4:23:15 PM

Damn.

Intel's down 7.5%
AMD's down 8.5%

AMD might actually hit the 5 range if it doesn't stabilize!
January 4, 2008 5:08:56 PM

$6.11 guys! The sky has fallen! 11 cents to the magical five mark, TC!
January 4, 2008 5:19:16 PM

hell, if they get down to a dollar or two I might buy a couple hundred shares then. The whole economy is taking a crapper right now, and we all know why.

And as for gas prices go, they finally hit $3 a gallon here in east texas for low grade, 20c more for premium. Now I feel sorry for those people that have vehicles that will only run on midgrade or higher. Finding some place to brew my own ethanol for cutting my gas is becoming more tempting. Even walmart stocks have dropped about $2 or so in the last few days. (associate stock owner). The sad part about oil prices would be that 75% of it, has nothing to do with reality or supply and demand. We see the gas and oil prices rise constantly, then we see the oil companies reporting record high profits every other quarter. And the bad part is, its not totally their fault, since they're only trying to cater to the will of their investors and share holders.
January 4, 2008 5:30:48 PM

The question that is obvios is, if the freaking govts really gave a good damn about people going broke is why dont they cut their huge taxes! Gas really only costs less than $1.50 a galon at the pump! Why blame the oil cos when its the taxes that are driving the popolation into the poorhouse?
January 4, 2008 5:34:23 PM

Not good for AMD, but they can turn it around...hopefully.
January 4, 2008 5:50:22 PM

Whats really fun, is after reading a lot about it. A country like canada produces more Oil per year than the country could possibly use. Meaning they have more than enough to export to make profit off of. Yet gas prices there are higher than in the US. In fact last time I went to Canada I think gas cost about twice as much per gallon since they charge by the liter. The poorer the population is, the easier they are to control, as they become more dependent on government handouts. That works of course until you push them to the point of rebellion.
January 4, 2008 6:08:38 PM

Mathos said:
Whats really fun, is after reading a lot about it. A country like canada produces more Oil per year than the country could possibly use. Meaning they have more than enough to export to make profit off of. Yet gas prices there are higher than in the US. In fact last time I went to Canada I think gas cost about twice as much per gallon since they charge by the liter. The poorer the population is, the easier they are to control, as they become more dependent on government handouts. That works of course until you push them to the point of rebellion.

I got gas yesterday at $1.01.9. For a US gallon that's about $3.80. Not that big a diff to the USA.

And speedbird, the only way AMD is gonna turn around is if Hecotr gets religion and recieves a miracle!

Edit: What's a dime away from the pearly gates? AMD! $6.10! Still over an hour to go to hit THE BIG FIVE before the weeks out!
January 4, 2008 6:28:33 PM

Bad building reports,highest unemployment report in years,the Fed lowering intrest AGAIN,the country borrowing up to $3 Billion per day from China mostly to fund some lame ass wars...and the Fed printing Dollars out of thin air -is the problem-.
Recession is at the door.

Anyone see the cspan with Congresman Ron Paul chewing out the dirrector of the Federal Reserve last month?
He must be the only one in public office with a brain that works.

EDIT:
Quote:
A country like canada produces more Oil per year...

CA is the country that the US imports the largest amount of oil from.
January 4, 2008 6:32:11 PM

Do you want me to call it again? ;) 
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2008 6:48:47 PM

^Yes.

Looks like its time for me to make my Dad (im only 15 :lol: ) buy AMD stocks (with my $ of course) and sell them when they get to about $12 or so.
January 4, 2008 6:52:18 PM

justinmcg67 said:

It is not just AMD,INTC has dropped Dollar for Doller at the same rate lately.
Now is a good time to have a your own well and 2 years of canned food put away.

I don't see the economy getting any better for at least 5 years.
January 4, 2008 6:57:24 PM

Well shoot I said $7.35 by the end of the week last week and it ended up be $7.32 and than, lights from heaven fell down upon TC and he proclaimed me and my Stock Predictin' Skills to be that of what we call, "Gawd Like." :lol: 

No but seriously, AMD will hit the $5.xx mark next week, however, juding from graphs on Money.CNN.com it would appear as though as positive gain is around the corner. I don't expect AMD loses to be every day within the next month or so. I expect a gain somewhere along the road. Every company gets a break. Just a matter of time.
January 4, 2008 7:06:50 PM

Looking at the graph (5yrs) AMD is almost on par with what it was 5 years ago. Although they had a HUGE gain for quite some time, they also had losses as well, big losses at that.

Looking at this three year graph a little closer you can see that AMD has a few ups and downs, just as it has today.

Looking at the company over a 5 year time frame you can see that it has had many ups and downs, just as with any company. Just because it is in a slump right now does not mean that the company can not bounce back from it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if AMD closed without a loss within the next month or so.
January 4, 2008 10:00:30 PM

justinmcg67 said:

I already made the auctioneer's call of $5 a bit up the page. Trouble was, nobody was bidding.

A gree with ZOldDude, Ron Paul is the only candidate that has called for some common sense in the government. But you know what happens when somone is honest, has common sense, a working brain and tells the truth in Washington D.C.? The people of the country vote for the other guy, the one that filled the air with empty promises of get rich schemes and other ideas of how they can get something for nothing.
January 4, 2008 10:51:55 PM

Isn't Ron Paul actually RuPaul's male alter ego? :) 

January 4, 2008 11:09:21 PM

He's also a lying sack of ****. Trusting politicians these days is just absurd. It's one lie after the next, promise after promise.

Always love this. They hype you up and than when confronted on serious things, boom, they know jack-squat.

^^^ My personal favorite.
January 5, 2008 1:49:16 AM

I could go into the voting thing, cause I know I didn't vote for Bush either time. Or some times you get someone in there that tries to do something, but due to partisan politics in congress nothing goes through.
January 5, 2008 2:04:29 AM

Mathos said:
I could go into the voting thing, cause I know I didn't vote for Bush either time. Or some times you get someone in there that tries to do something, but due to partisan politics in congress nothing goes through.

Yup that's it pretty much. Government for the people...pffft, right! :ange: 
January 5, 2008 2:41:34 AM

There are a whole group of companies like AMD. Circuit City has gone from $24 a share last February to $3.90 today. Companies like this are particularly susceptible to a recession which most analysts are predicting is coming in the next two quarters. They will be forced to go to drastic measures to cut costs. For AMD, that could even mean selling off ATI...stevenpchurch
January 5, 2008 3:29:26 AM

sailer said:
No. Ron Paul is a medical doctor who will remember you the next time you need a PSA exam.

My proctologist:

January 5, 2008 6:36:55 PM

ATI was a good company before they bought AMD.
!