Best brand of 8800GT?

mtalonm

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
BFG, XFX, PNY, eVGA, ASUS, and more...can someone guide me to the best brands and why? I noticed some brands charge a bit extra for a factory overclock...but are the bone stock cards capable of overclocking as well as the factory overclocked ones? Since I'll probably OC regardless, should I save the $10-30 and get the baseline 8800GT?

big_cheese

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Hey mtalonm I asked almost the exact same question a few weeks ago and I can't find it, but the answer I got was basically the overclocked ones are at least tested at these higher frequencies, so you're paying extra $30 for that which is fine for some people, however I heard about many baseline cards that could be overclocked even higher than factory overclocked cards. For me I'm going to wait for EVGA 8800GT SSC, it's $30 more expensive than the non-overclocked cards.

0p3n

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
EVGA, support is excellent, if you register you get lifetime warranty that covers overclocking. They also have their step up program.

harrybojangles

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
if im buying nvidia im buying evga. i had a bfg 6800 and a bfg 6800gt and i think a pny 5600. the bfg cards gave me hell and the 5600 died playing cod1 way to much. :p my 7800gtx evga has been a beasssttt, but i retired it for a hd3870. tryin to get my bro to upgrade his computer to use it. hes still on agp and on a x850xt :p

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
bfg is the best then evga then xfx and pny are tied and soo on...As others said, bfg and evga are the best because of their warranty and friendly service. have fun :)

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I like the XFX becuase all you need for warrenty service is the card....they don't care if you bought it 2nd hand and it is a lifetime warrenty.
I never had one die on me but the company is located in my state so service should be fast and others have said a 1-2 working day turn around after UPS drops off to them.

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I always buy either Evga or Asus cards. I have had perfect support from both of those companies and havent ever actually had a product from either of them fail on me.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Yes, EVGA. Good warrenty and good remarks on their Tech support. I'd pay more (to a point) for EVGA.

Getting a factory OC card is better. It means that the card, in automated testing passed higher level OC tests. The poor factory tech plugs it in, monitors the tests, and drops it in the bin, a OC bin or the sellable (maybe bin).... You buy the basic NVIDIA speed card and it might be one that didn't do well in factory tests. Buying a OC card is always better. Buying an OC card means you need to get a aftermarket cooler for it too, unless it comes with one. These babies run HOT!

I got a basic 8800GT and it overclocked well. But I got mine 2 days after it was released, no one had even released a OC model yet. I got lucky. I did go with the king of cooling, the HR03 GT from Thermalright. Petras was my purchase point, nice folks!

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
I would stick to Evga. I have examined quite a few of their cards and they really put them together with care, and they back their stuff well.

Plus, Step-Up keeps you from getting a sore ass sitting on the fence waiting for the next-best card that you can narrow the release into 3 months but they make you feel like it will never happen, is an AWESOME bonus.

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
another nod for eVGA. I personally used their step-up program to turn in my 8800GTS 320mb for the 8800GT 512 when it came out. I got the new card up and running within 7 working days from the time i sent out my old one. VERY GOOD SERVICE. the order was tracked and updated on the eVGA website for me to see. can't say enough about that.

partialsum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The big differences between the myriad of card manufacturer's are basically the warranties. Is one card physically built better than another? I honestly don't think so, maybe on a small scale. They're pretty much the same and should last about the same time as well. Don't go by, "Well these guys make really good cards that can take some punishment" etc.. Go by the warranty. That's what matters. If this card is built to higher standards than say, this other one, but has only a 1 year warranty, while the shoddier one is warrantied for life- well the choice should be obvious.

And I will give my plug to evga. Just because I like their customer service.