Intel copied us, says head of AMD - page 2

279 answers Last reply
  1. Hector Ruiz. Couldn't find his butt using both hands. He may be good at something, but CEO ain't it.
  2. None of this will matter in two decades. The low cost of producing all the CPU power an individual could need is going to make CPUs something you buy at the checkout counter along with razor blades and bubble gum.

    I can see Intel becoming a major sensor/aerospace/biotech player when they find that burning silicon is about as profitable and cutting edge as making clock radios.
  3. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    Not in the computer world. In the computer world it so simple to compair products, BENCHMARK THEM. 100% factual and objective comparison.

    Many other products are purely subjective, example: Which car is better? What cereal tastes better? What cell phone is cooler?


    I don't totally agree with that entire statement.
  4. OlSkoolChopper said:
    Yeah, he got it from the same store Baron got his QFX. :bounce:

    Oh... ok... I promisd to lay off Baron. Sorry dude! Love ya! Let's do lunch! Have your people call my people! Ciao! :pt1cable:


    Bringing up Baron makes me wonder. Since I haven't seen Baron for a few days now, is Thunderman really Baron in disguise? Of course, perhaps Baron has been around and I just have missed him. Don't know.
  5. caamsa said:
    I don't totally agree with that entire statement.


    He should have said, "what kind of bear is best". Now thats a subjective question.
  6. sailer said:
    Bringing up Baron makes me wonder. Since I haven't seen Baron for a few days now, is Thunderman really Baron in disguise? Of course, perhaps Baron has been around and I just have missed him. Don't know.


    its not baron... baron couldnt keep him self from supporting his alter ego this long.
  7. Baron's sidekick huh...
  8. For the subjectivity of cars, I believe there is only one fact:
    The Dodge Neon is the best car of them all. Just look at its... greatness
  9. bfellow said:
    For the subjectivity of cars, I believe there is only one fact:
    The Dodge Neon is the best car of them all. Just look at its... greatness


    I'd really rather not. :kaola: I need to preserve my eyes.
  10. I've been an AMD user since the first XP processors came out. I am still using an XP2800 but, along with my platform (nforce2) it is well out of date and I will be upgrading this year. Still, it served me well and I was happy with it.

    However, it is looking like my upgrade path will be Intel. AMD's new phenom processor is outclassed in pretty much every discipline and the only reason I can see for buying into it is that it is a relatively cheap upgrade path. Performance wise there is no contest - Intel wins.

    As far as I'm concerned AMD have lost significant ground to Intel and none of their current processors can hold a candle to their Intel equivalents. If AMD have anything to moan about it should be their inability to make the most of their 'innovations', and not snipe at their competitor for doing better than they are.
  11. skittle said:
    Addition is. And so is picking which processor is better suited for your "needs".


    You can pick the processor better suited and it not work, multiple times, without rhyme or reason as to why more than one fails. Across multiple boards of the same, and on occasion different, kinds.

    I stick by my statement.
  12. I am sure when amd started out they used intel chips!
  13. We got all our current civilization's technology from studying the frozen body of MEGATRON! Didn't you guys see the documentary that was TRANSFORMERS? I'd take Michael Bay's words over some dude named sharikou or stemnin any day!

    Quote:
    Sector 7, a secret United States government organization, discovered the All Spark and built the Hoover Dam around it to mask the energy emitted by the Cube. The still-frozen Megatron was moved into this facility, and was reverse engineered to further advance human technology.


    Clearly Intel and AMD stole the Transformer's tech.
  14. blueeyesm said:
    You can pick the processor better suited and it not work, multiple times, without rhyme or reason as to why more than one fails. Across multiple boards of the same, and on occasion different, kinds.

    I stick by my statement.



    Alas, some people dont know how to multiply, which by definition is just slightly more complex addition.

    i stick by my statement.
  15. Wow. some moronic statements on this post. Bring out the trolls.....

    Via, Intel and Amd are about the ONLY ones making X86 cpus. Via (a 486 type cpu) is NOT even HALF the performance of any x86 on the market. It's a "niche" cpu for small devices and low power.
    IBM, Motorola, etc are RISC cpus, NOT CISC (x86) cpus, so there is NO competition. They will NOT enter and try to get a LOW-END x86 cpus, they will stick with their RISC server cpus where they make plenty of money. There is NO other x86 cpu company, just Intel and AMD. Gees, learn your history.
  16. computertech82 said:
    Wow. some moronic statements on this post. Bring out the trolls.....

    Via, Intel and Amd are about the ONLY ones making X86 cpus. Via (a 486 type cpu) is NOT even HALF the performance of any x86 on the market. It's a "niche" cpu for small devices and low power.
    IBM, Motorola, etc are RISC cpus, NOT CISC (x86) cpus, so there is NO competition. They will NOT enter and try to get a LOW-END x86 cpus, they will stick with their RISC server cpus where they make plenty of money. There is NO other x86 cpu company, just Intel and AMD. Gees, learn your history.


    We were discussing the possibility's of another major chip company (IBM, Motorola, etc...) buying out AMD, if AMD ever went under. Gees learn to read.

    On another note, doesn't AMD already license a lot of tech from IBM?
  17. It is idiotic to think that if AMD or Intel did not exist that another company would not come up and take that role. WTF? Others will just sit there and ignore the demand? Right....

    Anyways it is purely theoretical and pointless.

    Second, Hector should just really shut up and spend more time making better CPUs.

    BTW Hector - 1971 called - they want their memory controller back.
  18. caamsa said:
    Dang! You have time to chuckle while flipping burgers? :bounce:


    Once China gets its tech industry on a role all our chips will be made in China. That means lead in your CPU again.


    You know they just revised the GDP for china and it turns out china is about 40% smaller, does not seem like a good year for china anyway...

    There are always gona be those that act like little immature kids on the forum...
  19. germans stole asprin from the indians willow tree!

    we stole machines from the romans!

    what about starbucks stealing how to sell coffee from the Italians?

    and olive garden stole italian food

    then there is americans stealing all the food of the world - chinese take out - we stole shrimp an peapods and pork fried rice. what about fast food nochos - stolen from the mexicans

    spain stole all the gold from south America!

    america stole the usa from the british!

    intel stole c2d from amd........wow
  20. blueeyesm said:
    You can pick the processor better suited and it not work, multiple times, without rhyme or reason as to why more than one fails. Across multiple boards of the same, and on occasion different, kinds.

    I stick by my statement.



    What in the world were you trying to say there?
  21. BSMonitor said:
    L2 cache ...
    On Die L2 cache ...
    Dual Core w/ shared L2 Cache ...
    MMX ...
    SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4
    Dual Channel Memory ...
    RDRAM - fast, but expensive
    DDR2, DDR3 support
    First to 130nm, 90nm, 65nm, 45nm
    Double pumped Integer processing units...
    Quad pumped FSB...
    VLIW Itanium Big Box processors...
    Hyperthreading tech...
    Dual OS tech...
    etc....

    64-bit was a bit premature... No one who bought an Athlon 64 in 2003 ever ran a 64-bit stable OS with it... unless it was a linux box...
    On-Die Memory controller... Both Intel and AMD had always been developing this, but Intel decided that is wasn't yet necessary... As Core 2 without on-die memory controller owns any Athlon with an on-die memory controller, seems Intel was right...


    Don't forget the first on die L3 cache that didn't come with a bug. Came out in several different CPUs most noted the P4EE and the Itanium back in 2003. Also the IMC was originaly developed by Intel but not seen as beneficial at the time as the FSB is obviously able to keep up. Lets not forget their push of SATA which is now the standard for harddrives and becoming the standard for DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drives and now WiMax.

    Hector is just trying to turn the focus off of their failed launch off Barcy/Phenom and onto Intel. Now in a way we can state that AMD copied Intels first and probably one of the most important innovations of all time really. The first x86 microprocessor. Where as the IMC can't hold a candle to that.

    At least thunderman helps us pay the day without Baron to listen to praise AMD. Only difference is Baron doesn't act like a idiot trapped in 2005. BTW AMDs own website still promotes Lucas films as using their CPUs for the second Star Wars trilogy. Maybe thunderman is just Hector or maybe AMD is still stuck back in 2005......
  22. thunderman said:
    Paid Intel fans bash AMD?....that's the claim Sharikou has made on his blog. Not sure if this is true...However Sharikou is one of the leading experts with a reputable blog, so it could well be possible.

    Link to the Blog:
    http://sharikou.blogspot.com/

    AMD4Life!

    Lol, you must be an Intel shill sent here to instigate hate towards AMD.

    Some facts. Not for you, Im sure you already know this, but for the few folks who just bought a new computer and have logged on to the Internet for the first time today, and thus havent been warned about sharikou yet:

    *Sharikou is in fact reputable. He does have a reputation...his reputation is that of "galactic moron"
    (While this is the kind of "personal attack" I would normally delete, since shariboobookitty was long ago banned from THG for violations of TOS, and prior to his banning he was a bold face liar whos posts were actually potentially dangerous, he rates zero protection, and anyone is free to say whatever they want about that liar, as far as Im concerned)
    *Sharikou is not only not an "expert", but he is not even a PHD...meaing his screen name, like much of what he writes, is a lie...meant to mislead.
    *Sharikou hates Intel
    *Sharikou was an Intel employee.
    *Sharkou was fired from Intel. (Hmmm...can anyone say "bitter")
    *Sharikou, when he did work for Intel, was a low level employee
    *Sharikou's predictions have all proven to be false, requiring him to readjust them to save face and minimize his international humiliation.
    *Sharikous grasp of anything computer related has been continually proven to be inaccurate since the moment he began posting to this very moment, and will continue to be proven inaccurate and long as he continues to write publically.
    *Sharikou has been banned from most if not all major internet tech sites/forums due to his unethical, uninformed, unintelligent posting/habits
  23. bfellow said:
    For the subjectivity of cars, I believe there is only one fact:
    The Dodge Neon is the best car of them all. Just look at its... greatness


    LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry but I couldn't help but laugh at that. Now if you pay a premium yes you can get a SRT/4 but thats roughly what 24-26k? I would rather go for a SVT though as they seem to do better.
  24. thunderman said:
    Paid Intel fans bash AMD?....that's the claim Sharikou has made on his blog. Not sure if this is true...However Sharikou is one of the leading experts with a reputable blog, so it could well be possible.

    Link to the Blog:
    http://sharikou.blogspot.com/

    AMD4Life!

    I dont get a check from Intel...I just dont care for AMD's inferior products
  25. stemnin said:
    We got all our current civilization's technology from studying the frozen body of MEGATRON! Didn't you guys see the documentary that was TRANSFORMERS? I'd take Michael Bay's words over some dude named sharikou or stemnin any day!

    Quote:
    Sector 7, a secret United States government organization, discovered the All Spark and built the Hoover Dam around it to mask the energy emitted by the Cube. The still-frozen Megatron was moved into this facility, and was reverse engineered to further advance human technology.


    Clearly Intel and AMD stole the Transformer's tech.


    I LOL'd :D

    Anonymous said:
    Lol, you must be an Intel shill sent here to instigate hate towards AMD.

    Some facts. Not for you, Im sure you already know this, but for the few folks who just bought a new computer and have logged on to the Internet for the first time today, and thus havent been warned about sharikou yet:

    *Sharikou is in fact reputable. He does have a reputation...his reputation is that of "galactic moron"
    (While this is the kind of "personal attack" I would normally delete, since shariboobookitty was long ago banned from THG for violations of TOS, and prior to his banning he was a bold face liar whos posts were actually potentially dangerous, he rates zero protection, and anyone is free to say whatever they want about that liar, as far as Im concerned)
    *Sharikou is not only not an "expert", but he is not even a PHD...meaing his screen name, like much of what he writes, is a lie...meant to mislead.
    *Sharikou hates Intel
    *Sharikou was an Intel employee.
    *Sharkou was fired from Intel. (Hmmm...can anyone say "bitter")
    *Sharikou, when he did work for Intel, was a low level employee
    *Sharikou's predictions have all proven to be false, requiring him to readjust them to save face and minimize his international humiliation.
    *Sharikous grasp of anything computer related has been continually proven to be inaccurate since the moment he began posting to this very moment, and will continue to be proven inaccurate and long as he continues to write publically.
    *Sharikou has been banned from most if not all major internet tech sites/forums due to his unethical, uninformed, unintelligent posting/habits


    Just had a quick look at the site, Sharikou sounds like a total tool, I don't know how anyone would take him seriously.
  26. Hopefully Thunder doesn't turn in to an irhealx0r. :lol: (See my sig)
  27. Double post sorry! Testing out FF3 ;) Its been happening a bit in FF3
  28. Or maybe AMD copied Intel, cuz AMD is making processors and Intel did that before them.

    This thread sucks as a whole.
  29. Ca_lawman said:
    I hope you guys realize that Thunder is another one of Sharikook's multiple personalities. His blog is dying and he is trolling for unsuspecting noobs.



    You are right that his patern is closely consistant with a few others: Could be Shariboobookitty, or it could be one of our other previously banned problem children...or its even possible that this is an altogether new .....err individual. If he is one of the previously banned trouble makers, under this screen name and IP, his posts have yet to deteriorate his normal posting style i.e threats or name calling. So, as long as he doesnt violate TOS, he's free to spew here.

    Regardless of who he may have been before, if this guy is a true AMD fanboy, or a paid AMD shill, he is doing far, far greater damage to AMD than good. Everytime he posts something, people fall upon his thread like the sword of damocles, shreading his false/outdated/out of context information with facts, thus exposing the flaws in his posts and in the process exposing his level of credibility. All of which may also generate hostlity towards AMD.

    On the other hand, if this guy is an Intel schill using reverse psychology......well, all I can say is Intel is getting their monies worth out of him and then some.
  30. I love the AMD Vs. Intel threads.... They make me laugh...

    Thanks guys.

    1Haplo
  31. thunderman said:
    AMD are deserving of the top spot and are being robbed. Intel copy and cheat

    Articles:
    http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/601749/intel-copied-us-says-head-of-amd.html

    http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07/12/01/10171434.html

    Quotes from the Article
    Quote:
    AMD's CEO, Hector Ruiz, says that all the all the major recent innovations have come from AMD, while Intel is ‘trying to catch up’


    Quote:
    Talking to Gulf News, Ruiz said that ‘If you look at the last five years, if you look at what major innovations have occurred in computing technology, every single one of them came from AMD. Not a single innovation came from Intel


    Quote:

    Meanwhile, Intel’s forthcoming Nehalem architecture promises an integrated memory controller, which AMD has had since 2003


    Intel are Evil!


    hey dumb newbie, why dont you go to somewhere else to post your anti-intel post because it only heat things up in here and you are a stupid little newbie
  32. thunderman said:
    Paid Intel fans bash AMD?....that's the claim Sharikou has made on his blog. Not sure if this is true...However Sharikou is one of the leading experts with a reputable blog, so it could well be possible.

    Link to the Blog:
    http://sharikou.blogspot.com/

    AMD4Life!


    "AMD4Life" oh come on you stupid pedaso de mierda, i bet you are a 14 year-old boy fat in his basement and watching porn all day long and i hope to see the chente of Ruiz getting fired, that would make up my year
  33. thunderman said:
    AMD are deserving of the top spot and are being robbed. Intel copy and cheat

    Why don't we all chip in and buy this man an education?
  34. And throw good money down the gurgler...??? Can Not make joke methinks.
  35. Can Not said:
    Why don't we all chip in and buy this man an education?


    If I was to spend any money on anything related to AMD, it would be for a 5000+ BE. It least that would be worth something, while in Thunderman's case.......
  36. heres a thought- Are you aware of the amount of money that intel pumps into the grad schools around the world to determine the best tech to go with. Since most of that is still public univ data they are forced to let it out generally. So really big deal id amd tries first- they obviously either don't try hard enough or take proper time, Intel does. Every company has missteps (read P4)- but the good ones get it together. And as far as copying new technology........intel has been doing for 2+yesrs what amd has spoken of doing for 2+ years.

    ok i got that out of my system.

    cheers

    jebroni
  37. You are all missing the REAL point, by giving hector some paper with some stuff to say, they get him away from the decision making for at least a couple of days. Smart move amd ;).

    And yes i am a AMD fan.
  38. You are all so lame.

    Soon, a biotech company is going to release a processor based on leech brains. The hard drive will be composed of liquid polymers, and data transfer between peripherals will occur using quantum mechanics. Duh.

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,2072177,00.htm

    http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/12946/

    *sorry cant find a source for Quantum Mechanic computing just yet.
  39. I'm betting AMD's stock is gonna go down to $4. Currently it's at around $6.50. Can't wait to buy em, saving $1000 for this :)
  40. Reynod said:
    If it were not for the group splitting from Fairchild Intel would not exist.

    Texas Instruments should have then been appropriately attributed with the design and manufacture of the first microprocessor.

    I miss my old TI programmable ... and my slide rule.

    I have a tear in my eye ...

    onboard memory controller ... innovative.
    Server cpu scaling (OMC) ... innovative (still innovative for Barcelona).
    64 bit ... innovative.
    quad issue ... innovative (shift in focus from frequency to IPC).
    Dual core ... innovative.
    Quad core ... innovative.
    first to a gigahertz ... innovative.
    first to back to $5 a share ... not so innovative ... lol
    no jingle ... not so innovative.
    paper launch of phenom rushed to market with a bug ... not so innovative.
    Marketing Department ... non-existent.


    +1

    Texas Instruments is and always will be a badass! I wish they made x86's...
  41. skittle said:
    Wasnt Hector the same one who said Phenom was going to be 40% faster clock for clock than kentsfield?


    That was the first thing that came to my mind. On top of that I have to think, well, if they copied it, than that means AMD just sucks at keeping secrets or patenting ideas.
  42. thunderman said:
    Paid Intel fans bash AMD?....that's the claim Sharikou has made on his blog. Not sure if this is true...However Sharikou is one of the leading experts with a reputable blog, so it could well be possible.

    Link to the Blog:
    http://sharikou.blogspot.com/

    AMD4Life!


    whoa whoa whoa, I had to double post on this. Citing the SHARIKOU blog!?!?!? Claiming he's an EXPERT!?!?!? Wow, I'm sorry but...

  43. justinmcg67 said:
    whoa whoa whoa, I had to double post on this. Citing the SHARIKOU blog!?!?!? Claiming he's an EXPERT!?!?!? Wow, I'm sorry but...

    http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/DarkMaverik/YouFail.jpg


    HAHAHAHAHa that picture is funny :lol:
  44. Evilonigiri said:
    I'm betting AMD's stock is gonna go down to $4. Currently it's at around $6.50. Can't wait to buy em, saving $1000 for this :)



    Assuming AMD returns to even $20 your investment would gain (250 shares * 16 dollars) = $4,000

    Not too shabby! But AMD is a train wreck at 6, I'd hate to see what condition it would have to be in to take it down to 4. Too much risk for my blood, I fold!
  45. "Heck, even when AMD had the superior chip, Intel was easily able to outsell AMD on all fronts."

    ....and that's right Heyyou27, and that's what AMD are threatening to change. Intel won't be on par with A64 until Nehalem. At that time probably we'll all have quad cores. AMD will also have its own platform to take on Intel in every market segment. Don't you think Intel is highly aware of this very serious threat. I'm sure that from what I'm reading between the lines around the net that AMD has pulled the hand brake on Barcey of its own accord. This TLB issue is no big deal and easily worked around and just wouldn't affect any home user. So just add 20% performance off the top for users not applying the TLB fix. Just doesn't make sense that AMD are just sitting back allowing the Barcey launch to appear flawed unless they aren't wanting to, for whatever reason, deliver in mass market quantities. Going past the C2D in raw speed will serve AMD no purpose simply because their bloody processors are fast enough. I'm sure the Barcey will be primed to tangle with Nehalem when the time comes. We DON'T NEED QUAD CORE PRCESSORS in todays computing environment. Jeeze, we haven't even got to 64 bit yet, and most software wouldn't know what to do with a dual core, let alone with 4 or more, so why worry about too much about quads and octo cores? VISTA needs at least 4 Gb to run well, and we can't feed that until we get proper 64 bit OS support. Crikey! let's start using what we already have. Buying Intel quad today is buying you squat. Not even any real speed win, just clock the cheapest of them up with the best of them. Then buy a new mother board for Nehalem and buy another quad core processor with the same features. There's no feature gain, and the speed difference between AM2 and core2 platforms would not be even remotely visible to the average user. Does 11499 3Dmarks compared to 10254 3Dmarks make one computer a less capable gamer than the other? No. But when a new feature is released then both systems need to be upgraded at the same time anyway, so I hope you enjoyed spending that extra $1000.00 for the privilege of the higher score, and I'll laugh my way to the bank. And while we on the 3D Mark score, I wonder what an Intel gpu might score when it's pushed real hard by a U-Beaut quad core screamer. Oh well it looks like that Intel needs DAAMIT afterall, doesn't it? :-) PS and while I read in this forum that Hector is busy claiming Intel is a copy cat, I should add my suspicion as why I think DAMMIT has pull the hand brake on Barcey. Remember the migration of platform by Prescott. Slow 478 cpus that slowly held there own and then jump to 775 platform. Hmmmm Hector I don't think Intel is the only copy cat around. Ouch!
  46. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    Assuming AMD returns to even $20 your investment would gain (250 shares * 16 dollars) = $4,000

    Not too shabby! But AMD is a train wreck at 6, I'd hate to see what condition it would have to be in to take it down to 4. Too much risk for my blood, I fold!


    If AMD gets down to $4, then I'm in for a thousand (shares), maybe two. Then if it only gets up to $10, I get a nice profit. Gamble? Yes, but as has been said, "Risk everything, or gain nothing" (Geoffrey de Charny, 1358).
  47. harna said:
    AMD will also have its own platform to take on Intel in every market segment. Don't you think Intel is highly aware of this very serious threat. I'm sure that from what I'm reading between the lines around the net that AMD has pulled the hand brake on Barcey of its own accord. This TLB issue is no big deal and easily worked around and just wouldn't affect any home user. So just add 20% performance off the top for users not applying the TLB fix. Just doesn't make sense that AMD are just sitting back allowing the Barcey launch to appear flawed unless they aren't wanting to, for whatever reason, deliver in mass market quantities.


    What are you smoking? Please pass some this way.

    So you are saying that AMD is purposely sabotaging itself because the market isn't ready for the awesomeness AMD is about to bestow upon it so it needs to be lied to so they think the processors are "defective" so that AMD can deliver quad cores when software catches up?

    Ok Sharikou!


    But I will agree with you on one point, most software you can buy today doesn't take advantage of Quad-Core. However, the future is quad-core, and that future seems to be arriving now. Look at Crysis, for example, you really need a quad-core to get the most out of that game. I know that's just one example, but look for the next couple years for software transformation, you're going to start to see many highly threaded application starting to be released.
  48. TechnologyCoordinator said:
    What are you smoking? Please pass some this way.


    Looks like he might have sampled some of the loco weed we have here in Nevada. If that's so, you don't want any, TC.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Intel