Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[Hard Disk] Help. Warranty Needed?

Last response: in Storage
Share
November 18, 2008 11:32:58 AM

Hey, I'm new here. Nice Forum. =D



ByTheWay, I bought a computer last year (January). I used a SATA to IDE converter to use in my other computer, when I Plug in and swithed on, the computer crashed(didnt burn) but my hard disk lets out some electronice burning smell.

MyHardDisk is by SeaGate. 160GB. As i know SeaGate offers 5years waranty, so can i send in my product for waranty?

ThankYou.
Thy3
November 18, 2008 11:42:37 AM

You should be able to, however check their RMA site (I have never had to send in a seagate, WD is easy though).
a b G Storage
November 18, 2008 11:49:08 AM

Welcome to the forums!

All the information you need is on Segate's Warranty and Return page.
If, for any reason, you are unable to locate the relevant information, you can Contact Seagate at 1.800.SEAGATE (1.800.732.4283).
Related resources
November 18, 2008 12:13:11 PM

IH8U said:
You should be able to, however check their RMA site (I have never had to send in a seagate, WD is easy though).


The does repair or replace. Because I went to some shops and they say once a HardDisk is burnt, it will never ever come alive again.
a b G Storage
November 18, 2008 12:16:01 PM

The best way to know if they will replace you drive is to call or email their RMA department.
If it is under warranty, there is a good chance they will replace it.
Try the above customer service number and see what they say.
a b G Storage
November 18, 2008 12:31:40 PM

thy3thy3 said:
The does repair or replace. Because I went to some shops and they say once a HardDisk is burnt, it will never ever come alive again.
When you file for RMA it's normally a replacement they send.
November 18, 2008 12:44:15 PM

I livechat with them, gave them their serial number. At the end he told me was: SIR! you have to go to the place you bought this product (the shop was closed down)..
So Sad.
a b G Storage
November 18, 2008 12:50:33 PM

thy3thy3 said:
I livechat with them, gave them their serial number. At the end he told me was: SIR! you have to go to the place you bought this product (the shop was closed down)..
So Sad.
Did you tell them the place was closed? If you didn't, contact them back and see what they have to say. Believe it or not, some companies still have good customer services ;) 
November 18, 2008 1:13:11 PM

Zenthar said:
Did you tell them the place was closed? If you didn't, contact them back and see what they have to say. Believe it or not, some companies still have good customer services ;) 


I did tell them, all he said was: Sir, I dont have any infomation about your device, you need to go back to your shop where you bought. I get stirred up and ended the chat. =P

ThankYou
November 18, 2008 1:40:34 PM

HMMMM ,,According to the Seagate website ,unless you live in the Ukraine,or Russia,you should be able to get the RMA info you need either registered or as a guest,,just look under warranty information..:) 
November 18, 2008 2:31:42 PM

It sounds like you may have bought am "OEM" drive. In this case, indeed, the company that sold you the drive takes responsibility for the warranty and Seagate has no responsibility to you. If the seller is gone, you are SOL.

You should go to http://support.seagate.com/customer/warranty_validation... and you will be able to verify for sure if your drive is under warranty.
November 18, 2008 2:56:44 PM

Yeah, what the above guy said.....seagate is normally very good about warranties. The only thing i can imagine is either A. you bought it OEM, or B. you bought a premade system.....in which case you should call the company you bought it from. It's pretty much a given you won't ever see your data again, but the plus side to the whole situation is storage is senselessly cheap at this point ;-) http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

looks as though you can get a 160gig for 40$
November 18, 2008 3:13:06 PM

After waranty will they replace me the new one or the old one? If a new one I can buy a new one. Buy i wish to have my old files back.

Btw, can i send to other shops and ask the shop to deliver to seagate for me?
a b G Storage
November 18, 2008 3:21:18 PM

thy3thy3 said:
After waranty will they replace me the new one or the old one? If a new one I can buy a new one. Buy i wish to have my old files back.

Btw, can i send to other shops and ask the shop to deliver to seagate for me?
I'm not sure of what you mean.

Under the warranty, if you send them your defective HD, they will send you a new one (it might not be "new", it could be refurbished), but you will not have your files back. The warranty convers the device, not the data, you are responsible for doing backups in order to prevent data loss.

There are recovery services, but chances are it will cost more than what your entire computer is worth.
!