Sign in with
Your question

MSI 8800gtx compatible mid-tower cases

Last response: in Components
January 3, 2008 6:26:05 PM

Hi, I am new here. I am currently researching and planning a budget gaming machine build. I think I have it all pretty well figured out, I just have one hurdle to get over before the planning stage is complete and I start aquiring the parts for the build.

The Graphics card I have selected is the MSI 8800gtx OC 610MHz. I chose this card mainly because of the price, but also because of it's majority of good to excellent reviews.

My question is, what are some average to good quality mid-tower ATX cases for under $100.00 that will comfortably fit the graphics card listed above. The reason I ask is because I have read many reviews where people could not fit their 8800gtx's into some mid-tower cases without modifying the case. And since this will be my first complete build, I would like to keep the extra modifications to a minimum until I get the hang of the basics of computer building. I would like to, if at all possible, stick with a mid-tower sized case just because of the sheer size of full-tower cases is too large for what I'm looking for right now.

Keep in mind, I'm not looking for anything fancy as far as side windows and LED lighting, as this machine will be solely for use at home, no LAN parties or anything of that nature. I'm the only one who will see the machine so it doesn't need to be all showy.

Any help would be appreciated.
January 3, 2008 6:27:22 PM

Honestly, I think the 8800 GTS (G92) is a much better buy at this point and will fit comfortable into an Antec 900 or CM690.
January 3, 2008 6:42:04 PM

Any advice to save me some money is very welcome. But, if you don't mind my asking, what is your reasoning behind your previous statement. As I said, I am new to this so I just assumed you get what you pay for, and the MSI 8800gtx is within my budget. But if the GTS will keep me from having to need full-tower, then I may very well consider it. Keep in mind, I will be playing COD4 mainly, and Crysis as well, and I would like to be able to run these games at the highest settings if possible. Thanks again.
Related resources
January 3, 2008 6:53:50 PM

DinoTX said:
Any advice to save me some money is very welcome. But, if you don't mind my asking, what is your reasoning behind your previous statement. As I said, I am new to this so I just assumed you get what you pay for, and the MSI 8800gtx is within my budget. But if the GTS will keep me from having to need full-tower, then I may very well consider it. Keep in mind, I will be playing COD4 mainly, and Crysis as well, and I would like to be able to run these games at the highest settings if possible. Thanks again.

The 8800GTS (g92) is a brand new release from NVIDIA it will keep up with and in some cases perform better than the GTX at a lower cost. Its based off a 65nm core, which basically means it should run cooler and use less power. The PCB (card size) is also shorter than that of the GTX so you will find it much easier finding a case to suit. With the money you save here maybe you could spend a few more $$$ on a better case also.

Im sorry i cant suggest any mid-tower cases as im a full tower boy. But ill give you those options i have in mind for full tower in case you go that way. Antec P180, 900. Coolermaster Stacker series. Lian Li A10 and A70 they have a new one called P10 i think that hasnt been released yet that looks awesome. Thermaltake Armour
January 3, 2008 7:06:29 PM

Depending on your resolution, the G92 8800 GTS performs a bit better than the 8800 GTX at a much cheaper price.

I ran CoD4 maxed out on my X1950 Pro, I play it now maxed out with forced 16xAA and 16xAF from nVidia Drivers. I can play Crysis maxed out at 16x10 (without AA) at playable framerates.
January 3, 2008 8:28:38 PM

if you can afford it, 2 8800 gts 512's would be far better performing than a single 8800gtx, and not too far off in price....
January 3, 2008 8:30:58 PM

Yea, I'll post up my scores in 3D Mark 06 in a bit once I finish some testing. My entire system was under $2000 for everything. Case, Monitor, Speakers, Keyboard, Mouse.. all of it.
January 3, 2008 9:01:48 PM

This is with the stock clocks on the 8800 GTS... I do run my CPU at 3.6 GHz.

Here is the 3D Mark06 with an overclock on the card. 811/1890/1107.
!