Sign in with
Your question

INSTALLED HD2600XT AGP NOW WINDOWS XP SEES NEW PCI DEVICE-NEEDS DRIVER

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 31, 2007 5:01:03 PM

I just installed a new Visiontek HD2600XT 512MB DDR3 into my trusty old P4 2.8(@3.1)-removed Saphirre 9600XT 126MB-which works amazingly well for almost 5 years-COD2,TigerWoods2007(and2006,2005,2004),Quake4,and lower quality COD4.
I installed the Control Panel and drivers from the disk(dated 8-20-07).COD4 now runs great at high levels and 1440x900.First person shooters and golf is priority. I Probably won't use the HD video playback capabilities of this new card--I use A/V equipment for that and my TV is waaay over there>>.

1. I'm receiving a "found new device" at boot-up-It's finding a PCI device now-this card is AGP. I seem to remember something like this with the 9600XT(all drivers removed now)-but I don't know for sure-like I said the 9600XT worked for everything I needed for almost 5 YEARS!

2. The overclocking utility in "ATI Overdrive" won't attempt to change anything, but I just downloaded the latest Omega drivers(rad_w2kxp_omega_38421_7z_fixed.exe) and was going to try it later.

Any help would be greatly appreciated-Thanks

Here's my system:
MSI 865PE Neo2 800Mhz MB (BIOS not updated for about 2 years+ hey,everything worked great)
P4(HT)2.8 running at 3.1
2GB pc3200 DDR 4x512MB
Visiontek HD2600XT 512MB DDR3--this card rocks!(except for the annoying "new device"thing)
430Watt Antec Power Supply
Soundblaster Audigy (5+ years old and still works great)
DVD,DVD-RW,etc.

a c 171 U Graphics card
December 31, 2007 5:43:59 PM

First, YOU DON'T NEED TO YELL AT ALL OF US. WE WILL HELP YOU WITHOUT YOU NEEDING TO YELL.

Second, what device is it finding? There might be some feature found on the card that needs a driver, you might need to keep clicking ok. Without knowing what its trying to add, I don't know what to tell you.

Most of us with AMD video cards don't use overdrive. Try ATItray tools or ATI tool. You might need a beta of these programs to work with a card as new as the 2600. You can use the Omega's, but I'd just use the official ones, and use one of the tools to overclock.
December 31, 2007 5:49:34 PM

Sorry for the YELLING.....
The PCI device is not named.
I've tried to let XP find driver,(online too) and tried to point it at the disk(Visiontek).I've drilled down to the directory on the disk "drivers" and it says that they aren't right. I've chosen from "list" (ATI-HD2600XT AGP) and the system had a catastrophic crash and had to recover.
Related resources
December 31, 2007 5:52:44 PM

In hardware device manager-details:
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_AA08&SUBSYS_AA081545&REV_00\4&299CCBFA&0&0108
This shows up.
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2007 5:52:49 PM

Look in device manager for yellow exclamation points. Make sure you installed all the drivers. Test the sound card.

Try this:

Unknown Device Identifier 5.02

http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html
December 31, 2007 6:07:07 PM

Thanks evongugg,
I ran it and it does show that the unknown PCI device is from ATI.
Also on the top of the list,the first 2 entries' are blank but show the 1)2600XT and 2)the secondary monitor--I don't have the secondary used and I remember the 9600XT still showed it in device manager but this card only shows the primary.
Also the 2600XT has a listing in the results that is named correctly.
I downloaded and installed the latest Soundblaster files already.
a c 171 U Graphics card
December 31, 2007 6:11:31 PM

I think it has something to do with hardware acceleration, which unlike your 9600, is present on both monitors. You should have two monitors listed in the device monitor, even if you have only one.

I'd try using the newest official drivers. If that doesn't fix it, look for newer chipset drivers. Check MSI's or Intel's site for a driver that lets your older 865 work with newer cards.

You actually didn't say that this effects your gaming. You could just hit ignore every time you reboot as long as you are happy with the performance you have. You said you didn't update the bios seeing as everything worked, you might want to just ignore this.
December 31, 2007 6:19:05 PM

I'm actually downloading Catalyst 7.12 now--would anyone recommend the Omega (with tweaks,etc) over the ATI?
December 31, 2007 6:30:39 PM

It may have something to do with the PCIe-AGP bridge on the card. The old 9600 (i had one of those) is native AGP but most of the newer AGP cards are really PCIe cards with an AGP bridge. Good luck and happy new year.
a c 193 U Graphics card
December 31, 2007 7:11:33 PM

It may also be for HDMI sound. Look for that exclamation point in Device Manager.
In the Catalyst Control Center on the performance screen, is there a button with a lock symbol on it (that's locked) ? You can't overclock until you click this button to unlock OC features; it's a one-time deal.
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2007 8:57:52 PM

Yeah my gues would be for the realtek audio device, I know even when the HD2K first shipped there were some issue with uninstalled driver support for the very early ones.

I'd recommend ATiTool or ATiTrayTools for tweaking front, I thought Omega came with ATT pre-installed. I haven't used Omega in a while (tweaked my own XPs) since he still hasn't gotten around to the Vista ones yet (hey, I know he's as busy as me, so not complaining).
December 31, 2007 10:20:26 PM

donarch said:
I just installed a new Visiontek HD2600XT 512MB DDR3 into my trusty old P4 2.81. I'm receiving a "found new device" at boot-up-It's finding a PCI device now-this card is AGP. I seem to remember something like this with the 9600XT(all drivers removed now)-but I don't know for sure-like I said the 9600XT worked for everything I needed for almost 5 YEARS!

What you're missing is the driver for "ATI Bus for High Definition Audio." The HD2600 has onboard HDMI audio, which requires that driver as an interface between XP and the Realtek chip.

Uninstall the unknown device, reboot, then when the "New hardware device" dialogue pops up, let it actually look on the Net for the driver. It will find the driver through Microsoft redirect and install it.
January 1, 2008 2:11:03 AM

I just had this problem today with an HD 2600 Pro. If you try to let windows find the HD Audio driver, or even if you direct windows to look in the HD Audio folder on the install disk, it might not work. Use the setup routine on the install disk; choose a custom install, and select the components you want to install (HD Audio driver). Hope this helps.
!