The R700 has been tapped out!!!!

gamebro

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Opps, ya beat me too it ro3dog =)

For about a year now I've been following the toms hardware forums, and I've noticed a trend here towards hating the Inquirer.... Thinking the claims were just exaggerated, I never gave it much thought.... Now that I've actually spent some time reading the various articles they put out, I've gota say.... The INQUIRER is a extremely crappy news source, with immature retarded kids writing the articles! Seriously, what the hell is wrong with those people? :non:

Some of the articles are hard to even follow, because they are soo poorly written, or confusing when for example- calling FireFox- "Firebadger" and "Firerodent"........ It is FireFOX you immature bastards, and it is one of the best browsers on the net, get used to it!
They think they are being cute\witty\funny by doing that, when really it is just annoying, and it makes my eyes sore for some strange reason. To read such mindless dribble and make sense of it is a chore. They seem to do something of that nature in nearly every article (or at least all the ones I've read, which isn't much, nor do I want to read more).

---------------
Otherwise, the R700 in May huh? lol.... We've heard some counter evidence to this, with AMD wanting to delay R700 until 2008 so they can "return to profitability", but then again that wouldn't make sense, considering the graphics department ATI currently seams to have more viable and profitable technology then the CPU department. I don't see people going crazy to get their hands on any Phenom, yet the 3870 and 3850 seam to be doing quite well in sales.

I personally believe the R700 can be ready by then, but I don't trust AMD right now to do the right things. Either way, I think this claim by the INQ is a lot of hot air and BS personal opinions portrayed as reliable wisdom :pfff:

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
I agree with everyone on Tom's about Inq.

Funny thing is, I am sure everyone here reads it, has it bookmarked, and is somewhat amused by the articles. Their layout is FANTASTIC, it is like reading a trashy magazine, it is a fun, sometimes painful, read.

BUT, it does give a good gist of market need/desires. I read some of their crap and hold my breath, a bit anyway.

And, I am sure AMD and Intel read Inq.

In this instance, AMD has to beat up one bully, it is a 2 on 1 fight right now, and they got their "nadgers" kicked in by "Chipzilla", so now they are deciding to take out "Graphzilla".

I really hope that the "Graphzilla vs. Chimpzilla" fight goes poorly for the "Green Team", and is a resounding victory for the "Guys in Green".

Anyone who understood me reads WAY too much Inq :)

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

It's a British tabloid, pure and simple. It's probably mild by the standards of the print tabloid. They do get some scoops, but not many. Still, I don't think they make up all their rumors, they just get fed "inside information" that's a bit dodgy at best and outright disinformation at worst.

I read them before coming to Tom's or Anandtech. They're worth taking with a shaker of salt.

Yes, I did get you with the Chimpzilla bit, that's one of the things I like about the Inquirer, the names they make up for tech firms. Me, I can't wait for R700, so I'm going with a couple of 3850's for our two PC's when income tax arrives. Sigh, I want 45nm B3 Phenom's too...

The InQ has always been seen as an interesting/fun 50/50 source of information that shouldn't be relied on for facts or investment/buying advice, just for the possabilitiy of what may be.
I know they get feed bad AND good information from the various sources, but the thing to also remember is that even with the way the industy changes so much mid-stream that their initial information may have been correct, but what may have once been an R400 gets cancelled, and then is replaced by something else, etc. It doesn't mean they were wrong that first time, just that the inromation didn't lead to anything.

That the part taped out isn't enough of a secret to be an issue, it's pretty easy to confirm with so many fingers in the pie from TSMC/UMC etc all the way down to board partners.

What will be news is their success rate, because it's rare that something has ever been succesful first shot, and usually has to go through at least 1 re-spin (sometimes 3+).

Treat the InQ & Fudzilla like your tech Cartoons, like most interesting reading as in comedy, there's a fair bit of truth in the stuff that's the most entertaining.

Of course the other view is that if you give enough wild guesses eventually one of them will pan-out.

Although really this isn't earth-shattering news, what would've been would've been having R700 silicon ready and that it would come out to compete in February, hitting May-July+ kinda fits the "yeah that's what we expected" type of news.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

You americans just dont get it ;) , the inquirer is a british tabloid news site, and thats how british tabloids are written. being british i can also say it is quite mild for our usual tabloid journalism. Its a style of writing that you either like or you dont like. But personally i find it entertaining to read and often has some interesting tit-bits on there. Their use of language is just intended to put a bit of lightheartedness into the proceedings, something which a few of us who take themselves a little seriously might do well to take note of. Failing that just dont read it if you dont care for it.

On the r700 note, its believable. Good luck to 'em and all, they must be pulling out all the stops to do their bit to save the company (ati engineers for amd i mean).

On a side note to finish with, i truly wish intel all the worst of luck in entering the add-in gpu business. Mega-corp looking for another monopoly? no bloody thankyou.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

sorry i just also wanted to say i dont really believe they dont like firefox or are insulting it in any way. Its just their sense of humour to give it a comedy name like firebadger or something. Honestly i dont think there's any harm intended.

gamebro

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
We Americans don't get it? Perhaps...

I like my fair share of stupid comedies. From Monty Pythons, to Space Balls. But the stuff at the INQ really doesn't look that funny or witty, so I had to assume they were just being rude and childish. So either I just don't get it as you said, or comedy works very differently over there across the Atlantic, which is probably true.
Well, now that I understand that the INQ is "trying" to be funny, and isn't a serious news source, perhaps it won't be as hard to read now, but I still won't trust them... Especially now that I know they are British! =)