"supported EEPROM not found" (help me)

Eggrenade

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I get this message when trying to flash a new BIOS to my graphics card. I used NiBiTor and NvFlash and had no problems until now. I tried several times and still got this message. Any ideas? Here are my specs:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6 Ghz
Motherboard: Asus P5N-D
Graphics Card: PNY Nvidia Geforce 9600GT in Sli (I took one out to do the overclocking so I'm only using one now)
RAM: 2 x 2GB Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5DHX

Thanks

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
Hmm, if someone has an answer for this I'd like to know too. A long time ago, my 6600GT PCI-E randomly failed, when trying to flash (with nVflash) the program recognized the card, but I got an EEPROM error. I've tried multiple versions of it. Any help would be great. :p

gamecrazychris

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
If there's any advice I can give to people its this, if something works perfectly good, don't try to make it even more good and complain when something bad happens.

Eggrenade

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I tried the version you recommended, Shadow, and it worked! Thanks a lot!

The cards are exactly the same, but I took one out so I would just do one at a time (I didn't want to deal with software issues).

With the newer version of nvflash, I typed in "nvflash -4 -5 -6 9600OC.rom" as it said in the recent TH article, using the same card (different manufacturer, though). Then I got the "Supported EEPROM not found" message.
Then I tried Shadow's method in his wonderful guide and typed in "nvflash --protectoff" and I had to choose what I wanted to unprotect: something I could not identify (I can't remember exactly what it said) or the clearly labeled 9600. I chose the latter. Then I typed in "nvflash 9600OC.rom" and I got the same message. I tried both methods several more times with the same result.

I then tried the older version and typed in "nvflash -4 -5 -6 9600OC.rom" and it worked.

I think (I don't know and am merely speculating) that the new version was seeing two EEPROM's that could be flashed and did not know which one I wanted, so it went with the first one (possibly the motherboard) but could not flash because it is not compatible with that one (it is not "Supported"). Perhaps the newer version recognizes not only more cards, but also motherboards.

The card works fine so far except for the fan speed (which I could change in RivaTuner).
I'll get to the other card tomorrow after I find its maxes.

I really appreciate all the help so far. Thanks a lot!

randomizer

Champion
Nibitor currently only supports one level of fan control, which is the one that is used at bootup (ie. 100%). You can modify that for quiet bootup, but once the driver kicks in you will switch to dynamic control and that can't be changed without a HEX editor and some know-how. Once the GPU goes over 60C it doesn't matter what you set in Rivatuner, the fan will change speed according to temperature.

Eggrenade

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Okay, so I did the same thing to the second card and flashed the same bios because they maxed out the same (convenient). I just booted up with them both in and am scanning for artifacts now. All seems well.

@randomizer: I think you are right about the bootup, because now that I think about it it is a little quieter. The RivaTuner fan control, however, does affect both of the cards, I opened up the case to make sure) so I'll just use that.

@ Shadow: If it wasn't for your guide, I probably never would have tried to OC my cards in the first place. I know that people like you and Graysky write these guides because you like helping people out, and that's exactly what you've done for me. You have my sincerest of thanks.

TRENDING THREADS