Upgrading Vista 32 to Vista 64

Whomastadon

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Hi,

I want to upgrade my vista 32bit to 64bit. My install disc only has 32bit version on it so I ordered a 64bit install disc and will use my product key to verify the install. I want to do this so my computer can read 8gb of ram instead of 4gb.

I also want to repartition my harddrive whilst upgrading vista. For some reason the person that built my computer back when i didn't know how to formatted my 1 TB harddrive into 3 drives. The OS drive only has 50gb and has been sitting at ~90% for a while.

I am going to be doing a clean install and wanted to know if I will be able to reformat / repartition my harddrive. Is it necessary to add partitions in the first place? What is the benefit of doing this.

Thanks in advance.

You can repartition the drive during setup, just make sure your data is backed up before you do that. You don't need to partition the drive in two at all, but some people like to have two partitions, one for the OS, the other for data. That way you can re-install the operating system without touching your files. I like to use two separate drives for that totally, and an external drive or 2 for backups.