Closed

Adding an item to "Send To" menu

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

How do I add a choice to the "Send To" menu (right click>send to) I want to
add my Shared Documents folder...?
56 answers Last reply
More about adding item send menu
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Search for it using windows search, advanced options, sendTo, then just add
    what you want to the folder.

    j;-)

    "rwrede" wrote:

    > How do I add a choice to the "Send To" menu (right click>send to) I want to
    > add my Shared Documents folder...?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    How to Add Items to the "Send To" Menu in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310270

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:TsiEe.2936$U%6.411@fe05.lga,
    rwrede <rwrede2@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > How do I add a choice to the "Send To" menu (right click>send to) I want
    > to add my Shared Documents folder...?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    rwrede wrote:
    > How do I add a choice to the "Send To" menu (right click>send to) I
    > want to add my Shared Documents folder...?

    Start --> Run -->
    Type in:

    SendTo

    Click OK and copy a shortcut to whatever you want to be able to "Send To" in
    there.

    If that doesn't work, go to "C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\SendTo"
    (making the obvious changes) and copy a shortcut to whatever you want to be
    able to "Send To" in there.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Thanks to you both!

    > rwrede wrote:
    >> How do I add a choice to the "Send To" menu (right click>send to) I
    >> want to add my Shared Documents folder...?
    >
    > Start --> Run -->
    > Type in:
    >
    > SendTo
    >
    > Click OK and copy a shortcut to whatever you want to be able to "Send To"
    > in there.
    >

    > If that doesn't work, go to "C:\Documents and
    > Settings\YOURUSERNAME\SendTo" (making the obvious changes) and copy a
    > shortcut to whatever you want to be able to "Send To" in there.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    The last time I gave this advice I was yelled at by that well known "Aussie"
    for not making the poster find it for themselves. :-)
    I geuss I broke one of Davids rules for using the newsgroup!

    Mike Pawlak

    Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > rwrede wrote:
    >> How do I add a choice to the "Send To" menu (right click>send to) I
    >> want to add my Shared Documents folder...?
    >
    > Start --> Run -->
    > Type in:
    >
    > SendTo
    >
    > Click OK and copy a shortcut to whatever you want to be able to "Send
    > To" in there.
    >

    > If that doesn't work, go to "C:\Documents and
    > Settings\YOURUSERNAME\SendTo" (making the obvious changes) and copy a
    > shortcut to whatever you want to be able to "Send To" in there.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Paul Hogan? ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:O8%235ZY4jFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    MAP <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > The last time I gave this advice I was yelled at by that well known
    > "Aussie" for not making the poster find it for themselves. :-)
    > I geuss I broke one of Davids rules for using the newsgroup!
    >
    > Mike Pawlak
    >

    > Shenan Stanley wrote:
    >> rwrede wrote:
    >>> How do I add a choice to the "Send To" menu (right click>send to) I
    >>> want to add my Shared Documents folder...?
    >>
    >> Start --> Run -->
    >> Type in:
    >>
    >> SendTo
    >>
    >> Click OK and copy a shortcut to whatever you want to be able to "Send
    >> To" in there.
    >>

    >> If that doesn't work, go to "C:\Documents and
    >> Settings\YOURUSERNAME\SendTo" (making the obvious changes) and copy a
    >> shortcut to whatever you want to be able to "Send To" in there.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Shenan Stanley
    >> MS-MVP
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Have you worked it out yet?

    When you have add 'send to' to the 'send to' menu. In the future you'll be
    able to add things to the 'send to' menu more easily, just choose 'send to'
    'send to'.

    "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How do I add a choice to the "Send To" menu (right click>send to) I want
    > to add my Shared Documents folder...?

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Type in Help

    add sendto

    or

    add send to

    or

    add item sendto

    The terms are in their subject line.

    Have you heard of the work of Americian psycologist Seligman
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=%22learned+helplessness%22&meta=

    Ethics require that help not be harmful.
    "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message news:O8%235ZY4jFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > The last time I gave this advice I was yelled at by that well known "Aussie"
    > for not making the poster find it for themselves. :-)
    > I geuss I broke one of Davids rules for using the newsgroup!
    >
    > Mike Pawlak
    >

    > Shenan Stanley wrote:
    >> rwrede wrote:
    >>> How do I add a choice to the "Send To" menu (right click>send to) I
    >>> want to add my Shared Documents folder...?
    >>
    >> Start --> Run -->
    >> Type in:
    >>
    >> SendTo
    >>
    >> Click OK and copy a shortcut to whatever you want to be able to "Send
    >> To" in there.
    >>

    >> If that doesn't work, go to "C:\Documents and
    >> Settings\YOURUSERNAME\SendTo" (making the obvious changes) and copy a
    >> shortcut to whatever you want to be able to "Send To" in there.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Shenan Stanley
    >> MS-MVP

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    This is references to a book on such ethical matters

    http://www.google.com.au/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&q=%22helping+relationship%22+felix&meta=

    The Government spent tens of thousands of dollars teaching me ethics.

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message news:eNmM9V6jFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    Type in Help

    add sendto

    or

    add send to

    or

    add item sendto

    The terms are in their subject line.

    Have you heard of the work of Americian psycologist Seligman
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=%22learned+helplessness%22&meta=

    Ethics require that help not be harmful.
    "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message news:O8%235ZY4jFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > The last time I gave this advice I was yelled at by that well known "Aussie"
    > for not making the poster find it for themselves. :-)
    > I geuss I broke one of Davids rules for using the newsgroup!
    >
    > Mike Pawlak
    >

    > Shenan Stanley wrote:
    >> rwrede wrote:
    >>> How do I add a choice to the "Send To" menu (right click>send to) I
    >>> want to add my Shared Documents folder...?
    >>
    >> Start --> Run -->
    >> Type in:
    >>
    >> SendTo
    >>
    >> Click OK and copy a shortcut to whatever you want to be able to "Send
    >> To" in there.
    >>

    >> If that doesn't work, go to "C:\Documents and
    >> Settings\YOURUSERNAME\SendTo" (making the obvious changes) and copy a
    >> shortcut to whatever you want to be able to "Send To" in there.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Shenan Stanley
    >> MS-MVP

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    David Candy wrote:
    > This is references to a book on such ethical matters

    http://www.google.com.au/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&q=%22helping+relationship%22+felix&meta=

    > The Government spent tens of thousands of dollars teaching me ethics.

    Two years ago in the "customize" group I asked a ?. Basically does anyone
    know of a program that does.....XYZ (their was one for win 98 but it did not
    work on XP). Your responce was that I go to school and learn programing,then
    write my own program.Please tell my how that was helpful or ethical?

    Mike Pawlak
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    That a stupid thing to say. It will move or copy files there, probably not what the person wanted.

    "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message news:dbtsot$c2b$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > Have you worked it out yet?
    >
    > When you have add 'send to' to the 'send to' menu. In the future you'll be
    > able to add things to the 'send to' menu more easily, just choose 'send to'
    > 'send to'.
    >

    > "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> How do I add a choice to the "Send To" menu (right click>send to) I want
    >> to add my Shared Documents folder...?

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    It is you that is saying the stupid thing- it works on this machine, and on
    every other machine I've added it to. It can be useful (for example) if you
    have several graphics programs installed- Windows links a file extension to
    one of them- this way you can choose which one you use.

    Would you like to make even more stupid comments based on things you have no
    experience of?

    That a stupid thing to say. It will move or copy files there, probably not
    what the person wanted.

    "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
    > Have you worked it out yet?
    >
    > When you have add 'send to' to the 'send to' menu. In the future you'll be
    > able to add things to the 'send to' menu more easily, just choose 'send
    > to'
    > 'send to'.
    >

    > "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> How do I add a choice to the "Send To" menu (right click>send to) I want
    >> to add my Shared Documents folder...?

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    You need to create shortcuts and send them to sendto.

    Shane

    > It is you that is saying the stupid thing- it works on this machine, and
    > on every other machine I've added it to. It can be useful (for example) if
    > you have several graphics programs installed- Windows links a file
    > extension to one of them- this way you can choose which one you use.
    >
    > Would you like to make even more stupid comments based on things you have
    > no experience of?
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > That a stupid thing to say. It will move or copy files there, probably not
    > what the person wanted.

    > "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
    >> Have you worked it out yet?
    >>
    >> When you have add 'send to' to the 'send to' menu. In the future you'll
    >> be
    >> able to add things to the 'send to' menu more easily, just choose 'send
    >> to'
    >> 'send to'.
    >>

    >> "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> How do I add a choice to the "Send To" menu (right click>send to) I want
    >>> to add my Shared Documents folder...?

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    That's the problem with MVP's, if they don't know nothing then it's wrong.

    "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
    > It is you that is saying the stupid thing- it works on this machine, and
    > on every other machine I've added it to. It can be useful (for example) if
    > you have several graphics programs installed- Windows links a file
    > extension to one of them- this way you can choose which one you use.
    >
    > Would you like to make even more stupid comments based on things you have
    > no experience of?
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > That a stupid thing to say. It will move or copy files there, probably not
    > what the person wanted.

    > "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
    >> Have you worked it out yet?
    >>
    >> When you have add 'send to' to the 'send to' menu. In the future you'll
    >> be
    >> able to add things to the 'send to' menu more easily, just choose 'send
    >> to'
    >> 'send to'.
    >>

    >> "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> How do I add a choice to the "Send To" menu (right click>send to) I want
    >>> to add my Shared Documents folder...?

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I didn't give the full process in the first post, I made the mistake of
    thinking people had some intelligence to apply to this which doesn't seem to
    be the case for one of the posters.

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > You need to create shortcuts and send them to sendto.
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
    >> It is you that is saying the stupid thing- it works on this machine, and
    >> on every other machine I've added it to. It can be useful (for example)
    >> if you have several graphics programs installed- Windows links a file
    >> extension to one of them- this way you can choose which one you use.
    >>
    >> Would you like to make even more stupid comments based on things you have
    >> no experience of?
    >>

    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> That a stupid thing to say. It will move or copy files there, probably
    >> not what the person wanted.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
    >>> Have you worked it out yet?
    >>>
    >>> When you have add 'send to' to the 'send to' menu. In the future you'll
    >>> be
    >>> able to add things to the 'send to' menu more easily, just choose 'send
    >>> to'
    >>> 'send to'.
    >>>

    >>> "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    As I said you don't know what you are talking about.

    Experiment.

    Add a shortcut to Sendto in Sendto. Right click any folder or file and choose Send To - Send To. The item will be copied to the sendto folder. This is not something that anyone would want and nor is it the effect that you claim it has. One needs to hold down Ctrl + Shift while sending to sendto.

    "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message news:dbtv9s$f73$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > It is you that is saying the stupid thing- it works on this machine, and on
    > every other machine I've added it to. It can be useful (for example) if you
    > have several graphics programs installed- Windows links a file extension to
    > one of them- this way you can choose which one you use.
    >
    > Would you like to make even more stupid comments based on things you have no
    > experience of?
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > That a stupid thing to say. It will move or copy files there, probably not
    > what the person wanted.

    > "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
    >> Have you worked it out yet?
    >>
    >> When you have add 'send to' to the 'send to' menu. In the future you'll be
    >> able to add things to the 'send to' menu more easily, just choose 'send
    >> to'
    >> 'send to'.
    >>

    >> "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> How do I add a choice to the "Send To" menu (right click>send to) I want
    >>> to add my Shared Documents folder...?

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    The original post wasn't aimed at you. Please feel free to ignore it if it's
    too hard for your limited intelligence to follow.

    As I said you don't know what you are talking about.

    Experiment.

    Add a shortcut to Sendto in Sendto. Right click any folder or file and
    choose Send To - Send To. The item will be copied to the sendto folder. This
    is not something that anyone would want and nor is it the effect that you
    claim it has. One needs to hold down Ctrl + Shift while sending to sendto.

    "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
    > It is you that is saying the stupid thing- it works on this machine, and
    > on
    > every other machine I've added it to. It can be useful (for example) if
    > you
    > have several graphics programs installed- Windows links a file extension
    > one of them- this way you can choose which one you use.
    >
    > Would you like to make even more stupid comments based on things you have
    > no
    > experience of?
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > That a stupid thing to say. It will move or copy files there, probably not
    > what the person wanted.

    > "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
    >> Have you worked it out yet?
    >>
    >> When you have add 'send to' to the 'send to' menu. In the future you'll
    >> be
    >> able to add things to the 'send to' menu more easily, just choose 'send
    >> to'
    >> 'send to'.
    >>

    >> "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> How do I add a choice to the "Send To" menu (right click>send to) I want
    >>> to add my Shared Documents folder...?

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Don't give advice that is harmful.

    "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message news:dbu0f3$g2k$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > The original post wasn't aimed at you. Please feel free to ignore it if it's
    > too hard for your limited intelligence to follow.
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > As I said you don't know what you are talking about.
    >
    > Experiment.
    >
    > Add a shortcut to Sendto in Sendto. Right click any folder or file and
    > choose Send To - Send To. The item will be copied to the sendto folder. This
    > is not something that anyone would want and nor is it the effect that you
    > claim it has. One needs to hold down Ctrl + Shift while sending to sendto.

    > "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
    >> It is you that is saying the stupid thing- it works on this machine, and
    >> on
    >> every other machine I've added it to. It can be useful (for example) if
    >> you
    >> have several graphics programs installed- Windows links a file extension
    >> one of them- this way you can choose which one you use.
    >>
    >> Would you like to make even more stupid comments based on things you have
    >> no
    >> experience of?
    >>

    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> That a stupid thing to say. It will move or copy files there, probably not
    >> what the person wanted.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
    >>> Have you worked it out yet?
    >>>
    >>> When you have add 'send to' to the 'send to' menu. In the future you'll
    >>> be
    >>> able to add things to the 'send to' menu more easily, just choose 'send
    >>> to'
    >>> 'send to'.
    >>>

    >>> "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    > How to Add Items to the "Send To" Menu in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310270
    This info from the website above is useless for WXP-Home/SP2. You get an
    error when you type sendto in the Start/Run box. So that doesn't work.

    And the information below - that doesn't work either. I can't delete
    anything from the SendTo folder as it still shows up in the sendto menu on
    right click even when it's no longer in the folder. Adding things to that
    folder don't work either, as they DO NOT show up on right click. How are
    things added in WXP-Home/Sp2 ?

    FS~

    To add a destination to the Send To menu, you must add a shortcut to the
    SendTo folder. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then
    click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type sendto, and then click OK.
    3. Add a destination by doing one of the following: • Use the
    drag-and-drop operation to move the item that you want to the SendTo folder;
    to do so, right-click, and then click Create Shortcuts Here.
    -or-
    • Point to New on the File menu, and then click Shortcut.

    =============================
    Follow the instructions in the Create Shortcut Wizard.
    A new shortcut is created in the SendTo folder, and it is displayed on
    the Send To menu.
    NOTE: To open the SendTo Folder, you can also perform the following steps:
    1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    2. Double-click the drive where Windows is installed (usually drive C,
    unless you have more than one drive on your computer).
    3. If you cannot view the items on your drive when you open it, under
    System Tasks, click Show the contents of this drive.
    4. Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.
    5. Double-click the folder of the user whose SendTo menu you want to
    change (usually your own).
    6. Double-click the SendTo folder.
    7. The SendTo folder is hidden by default. If the folder is not
    visible, on the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then on the View tab,
    click Show hidden files and folders.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message

    >> How to Add Items to the "Send To" Menu in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310270
    > This info from the website above is useless for WXP-Home/SP2. You get an
    > error when you type sendto in the Start/Run box. So that doesn't work.
    >
    > And the information below - that doesn't work either. I can't delete
    > anything from the SendTo folder as it still shows up in the sendto menu on
    > right click even when it's no longer in the folder. Adding things to that
    > folder don't work either, as they DO NOT show up on right click. How are
    > things added in WXP-Home/Sp2 ?
    >
    > FS~
    >

    > To add a destination to the Send To menu, you must add a shortcut to the
    > SendTo folder. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then
    > click Run.
    > 2. In the Open box, type sendto, and then click OK.
    > 3. Add a destination by doing one of the following: • Use the
    > drag-and-drop operation to move the item that you want to the SendTo
    > folder; to do so, right-click, and then click Create Shortcuts Here.
    > -or-
    > • Point to New on the File menu, and then click Shortcut.
    >
    > =============================
    > Follow the instructions in the Create Shortcut Wizard.
    > A new shortcut is created in the SendTo folder, and it is displayed
    > on the Send To menu.
    > NOTE: To open the SendTo Folder, you can also perform the following steps:
    > 1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    > 2. Double-click the drive where Windows is installed (usually drive
    > C, unless you have more than one drive on your computer).
    > 3. If you cannot view the items on your drive when you open it, under
    > System Tasks, click Show the contents of this drive.
    > 4. Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.
    > 5. Double-click the folder of the user whose SendTo menu you want to
    > change (usually your own).
    > 6. Double-click the SendTo folder.
    > 7. The SendTo folder is hidden by default. If the folder is not
    > visible, on the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then on the View
    > tab, click Show hidden files and folders.

    What error are you getting?
    Are you using an administrator account?
    Each user has a SendTo folder. Do you have more than one user?
    --
    Ron Sommer
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Ok, How many Sendto folders do you find in the search window? My user account
    is in the Admin group, my folder is for me, my name on a user account. On my
    system I get 6 sendto folders total and I just find mine, it works fine. If
    you are adding to a sendto folder that belongs to someone else you will not
    see it in your user accounts drop down menu. If you are not the administrator
    or setup in the same group your changes may not take affect? Did you do an

    j;-)

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" wrote:

    > "Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Search for it using windows search, advanced options, sendTo, then just
    > > add
    > > what you want to the folder.
    > =====================
    > That's fine. You see them in the SendTo folder - but they don't show up on
    > the SendTo menu when you right click the mouse. How do you get them to show
    > up there?
    >
    > FS~

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    What is the error that you get when you type sendto in the Start | Run box?

    Who are you logged on as?

    Type or paste this in the Start | Run box...
    %homepath%

    What folder opens?

    Type or paste this in the Start | Run box...
    %homepath%\SendTo

    What folder opens?

    Do a Search on your machine for SendTo.
    Follow the instructions here...
    HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:Ot257ymlFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    ~ FreeSpirit ~ <spammenot@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> How to Add Items to the "Send To" Menu in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310270
    > This info from the website above is useless for WXP-Home/SP2. You get an
    > error when you type sendto in the Start/Run box. So that doesn't work.
    >
    > And the information below - that doesn't work either. I can't delete
    > anything from the SendTo folder as it still shows up in the sendto menu on
    > right click even when it's no longer in the folder. Adding things to that
    > folder don't work either, as they DO NOT show up on right click. How are
    > things added in WXP-Home/Sp2 ?
    >
    > FS~
    >

    > To add a destination to the Send To menu, you must add a shortcut to the
    > SendTo folder. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then
    > click Run.
    > 2. In the Open box, type sendto, and then click OK.
    > 3. Add a destination by doing one of the following: • Use the
    > drag-and-drop operation to move the item that you want to the SendTo
    > folder; to do so, right-click, and then click Create Shortcuts Here.
    > -or-
    > • Point to New on the File menu, and then click Shortcut.
    >
    > =============================
    > Follow the instructions in the Create Shortcut Wizard.
    > A new shortcut is created in the SendTo folder, and it is displayed
    > on the Send To menu.
    > NOTE: To open the SendTo Folder, you can also perform the following steps:
    > 1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    > 2. Double-click the drive where Windows is installed (usually drive
    > C, unless you have more than one drive on your computer).
    > 3. If you cannot view the items on your drive when you open it,
    > under System Tasks, click Show the contents of this drive.
    > 4. Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.
    > 5. Double-click the folder of the user whose SendTo menu you want to
    > change (usually your own).
    > 6. Double-click the SendTo folder.
    > 7. The SendTo folder is hidden by default. If the folder is not
    > visible, on the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then on the View
    > tab, click Show hidden files and folders.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message

    > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message

    >>> How to Add Items to the "Send To" Menu in Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310270
    >> This info from the website above is useless for WXP-Home/SP2. You get an
    >> error when you type sendto in the Start/Run box. So that doesn't work.
    >>
    >> And the information below - that doesn't work either. I can't delete
    >> anything from the SendTo folder as it still shows up in the sendto menu
    >> on right click even when it's no longer in the folder. Adding things to
    >> that folder don't work either, as they DO NOT show up on right click.
    >> How are things added in WXP-Home/Sp2 ?
    >>
    >> FS~
    >>

    >> To add a destination to the Send To menu, you must add a shortcut to the
    >> SendTo folder. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then
    >> click Run.
    >> 2. In the Open box, type sendto, and then click OK.
    >> 3. Add a destination by doing one of the following: . Use the
    >> drag-and-drop operation to move the item that you want to the SendTo
    >> folder; to do so, right-click, and then click Create Shortcuts Here.
    >> -or-
    >> . Point to New on the File menu, and then click Shortcut.
    >>
    >> =============================
    >> Follow the instructions in the Create Shortcut Wizard.
    >> A new shortcut is created in the SendTo folder, and it is displayed
    >> on the Send To menu.
    >> NOTE: To open the SendTo Folder, you can also perform the following
    >> steps: 1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    >> 2. Double-click the drive where Windows is installed (usually drive
    >> C, unless you have more than one drive on your computer).
    >> 3. If you cannot view the items on your drive when you open it,
    >> under System Tasks, click Show the contents of this drive.
    >> 4. Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.
    >> 5. Double-click the folder of the user whose SendTo menu you want to
    >> change (usually your own).
    >> 6. Double-click the SendTo folder.
    >> 7. The SendTo folder is hidden by default. If the folder is not
    >> visible, on the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then on the View
    >> tab, click Show hidden files and folders.
    >>

    > What error are you getting?

    * A window opens and says: "Windows cannot find sendto. Make sure you
    typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file click the
    Start button, and then click Search."

    > Are you using an administrator account?

    * I guess so since I'm the only one using this PC (one account on it). How
    would I know? Everything else in Start/RUN works such as msconfig etc.

    > Each user has a SendTo folder. Do you have more than one user?

    * No. How do I communicate that to Run?
    > --
    > Ron Sommer

    FS..........
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > * A window opens and says: "Windows cannot find sendto. Make sure
    > you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a
    > file click the Start button, and then click Search."

    Yeah - this happens on some machines. Use explorer and just go to it.
    C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\SendTo

    You could even cut/paste these lines into a notepad document, save that as
    C:\opensendto.cmd and run it..

    explorer "%USERPROFILE%\SendTo"

    >> Are you using an administrator account?
    >
    > * I guess so since I'm the only one using this PC (one account on
    > it). How would I know? Everything else in Start/RUN works such as
    > msconfig etc.

    Windows XP - doesn't matter if you are the only one using it.. You are
    unlikely to be the only user. Especially if it is XP Home Edition, then you
    have the Administrator user that can only normally be accessed in Safe Mode.

    >> Each user has a SendTo folder. Do you have more than one user?
    >
    > * No. How do I communicate that to Run?

    You don't. I have seen this happen before - where Start-->Run-->SendTo
    stopped working - reasoning (to me) unknown and I was never bothered by it..
    Since I knew how to get to it.

    You could even type the line I gave above into Start-->Run and it would work
    fine..

    (explorer "%USERPROFILE%\SendTo")

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    --
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    > What is the error that you get when you type sendto in the Start | Run
    > box?
    >
    > Who are you logged on as?

    ## How do I find that? I'm the owner and only user of this PC. Start/Run
    works for everything else.

    > Type or paste this in the Start | Run box...
    > %homepath%
    >
    > What folder opens?

    ## It says OWNER.

    > Type or paste this in the Start | Run box...
    > %homepath%\SendTo
    >
    > What folder opens?

    ## I C&P it and no folder opens. I get this error: "Windows cannot find
    '/documents'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.
    To search for a file..... "

    > Do a Search on your machine for SendTo.
    > Follow the instructions here...
    > HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347

    ## I found 3 "sendto" folders using AgentRansack. Both under documents and
    settings. One was administrater and the other default User. The 3rd was in
    C:\Windows\system32.....

    What does this mean?

    FS.........

    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:Ot257ymlFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > ~ FreeSpirit ~ <spammenot@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
    >>> How to Add Items to the "Send To" Menu in Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310270
    >> This info from the website above is useless for WXP-Home/SP2. You get an
    >> error when you type sendto in the Start/Run box. So that doesn't work.
    >>
    >> And the information below - that doesn't work either. I can't delete
    >> anything from the SendTo folder as it still shows up in the sendto menu
    >> on
    >> right click even when it's no longer in the folder. Adding things to
    >> that
    >> folder don't work either, as they DO NOT show up on right click. How are
    >> things added in WXP-Home/Sp2 ?
    >>
    >> FS~
    >>

    >> To add a destination to the Send To menu, you must add a shortcut to the
    >> SendTo folder. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then
    >> click Run.
    >> 2. In the Open box, type sendto, and then click OK.
    >> 3. Add a destination by doing one of the following: • Use the
    >> drag-and-drop operation to move the item that you want to the SendTo
    >> folder; to do so, right-click, and then click Create Shortcuts Here.
    >> -or-
    >> • Point to New on the File menu, and then click Shortcut.
    >>
    >> =============================
    >> Follow the instructions in the Create Shortcut Wizard.
    >> A new shortcut is created in the SendTo folder, and it is displayed
    >> on the Send To menu.
    >> NOTE: To open the SendTo Folder, you can also perform the following
    >> steps:
    >> 1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    >> 2. Double-click the drive where Windows is installed (usually drive
    >> C, unless you have more than one drive on your computer).
    >> 3. If you cannot view the items on your drive when you open it,
    >> under System Tasks, click Show the contents of this drive.
    >> 4. Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.
    >> 5. Double-click the folder of the user whose SendTo menu you want
    >> change (usually your own).
    >> 6. Double-click the SendTo folder.
    >> 7. The SendTo folder is hidden by default. If the folder is not
    >> visible, on the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then on the View
    >> tab, click Show hidden files and folders.

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    It means that you are using OWNER. You have XP Home and you didn't get a
    proper account setup.

    %homepath% is an environment variable that is the path to the user's home
    directory.

    Normally when %homepath% is typed in Start | Run it brings up
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here or whatever drive D:, E:, F:, etc.

    Yours doesn't, because you do not have a proper account.

    Normally when %homepath%\SendTo is typed in Start | Run it brings up
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\SendTo or whatever drive D:, E:,
    F:, etc.

    Yours doesn't, because you do not have a proper account.

    Normally when sendto is typed in Start | Run it brings up
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\SendTo or whatever drive D:, E:,
    F:, etc.

    Yours doesn't, because you do not have a proper account.

    Out of curiosity what happens if you type: my documents in Start | Run?

    Same Windows cannot find error? Or does My Documents folder open as it
    should?

    How about if you type: owner into Start | Run?

    It opens the OWNER folder, right? Is it C:\OWNER?

    *******************
    Post back with what opens.
    *******************

    Almost any advice anyone gives you will be incorrect for you as you can see.
    You do not have a proper account.

    Set up a proper account.

    How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP

    How to Copy or Remove a User Profile
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm#usercopy

    If you're going to create a new account, do not delete OWNER until you have
    everything moved to the new account. Even these instructions may be tricky.

    [[The Owner account may not be removed correctly when you run Setup on
    computers that are running Windows XP Home Edition. The Owner account is
    displayed as "Account Unknown" when you view profiles on the computer.
    Also, the Owner folder is not removed because the profile is not removed.
    Note that other problems occur if an Owner account is used or created
    during the remainder of setup or Out of Box Experience (OOBE).]]

    [[This problem does not occur on Microsoft Windows XP Professional-based
    computers because the Administrator account is used during Setup. This
    problem also does not occur on Windows XP Home Edition-based computers if
    you do not use the Owner name as the default user. The OOBE deletes the
    Owner account before completing the procedure after you install the fix from
    this article.

    NOTE: Existing data in the Owner folder from the Owner and the Administrator
    is copied to the Default User folder before it is deleted.]]

    The Owner Account Is Displayed As "Account Unknown" in Profiles on Windows
    XP Home Edition-Based Computers
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312131

    [[During the installation process, the default user's profile is created
    based on the Administrator profile. The problem occurs when Windows queries
    the security identifier (SID) of the Administrator account. Because the
    computer name is the same ("Administrator" for Windows XP Professional or
    "Owner" for Windows XP Home Edition) as the user name, the SID of the
    computer is returned, not the SID of the Aministrator account. There is no
    entry for the computer SID in the corresponding registry location
    (HKLM\...\ProfileList), and the profile path is set as empty. This
    basically becomes the root of the system drive. Therefore, the whole
    system drive is copied to the %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Default
    User folder, which takes a long time. ]]
    Installation May Take a Long Time If You Use "Administrator" or "Owner" as
    the Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327917

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OxfpvXxlFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> [...]
    >>> A new shortcut is created in the SendTo folder, and it is
    >>> displayed on the Send To menu.
    >>> NOTE: To open the SendTo Folder, you can also perform the following
    >>> steps:
    >>> 1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    >>> 2. Double-click the drive where Windows is installed (usually
    >>> drive C, unless you have more than one drive on your computer).
    >>> 3. If you cannot view the items on your drive when you open it,
    >>> under System Tasks, click Show the contents of this drive.
    >>> 4. Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.
    >>> 5. Double-click the folder of the user whose SendTo menu you want
    >>> change (usually your own).
    >>> 6. Double-click the SendTo folder.
    >>> 7. The SendTo folder is hidden by default. If the folder is not
    >>> visible, on the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then on the View
    >>> tab, click Show hidden files and folders.
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > You need to create shortcuts and send them to sendto.
    ===================
    If it's that easy why can't we create a short cut and drag and drop them to
    the SendTo folder?

    FS.......
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    You do not have a SendTo folder. Remember?

    You found three SendTo folders on your machine:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\SendTo
    C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\SendTo
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\SendTo

    None of these are "yours".

    Yours would be C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\SendTo

    In news:eHO0WcxlFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    ~ FreeSpirit ~ <spammenot@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> You need to create shortcuts and send them to sendto.
    > ===================
    > If it's that easy why can't we create a short cut and drag and drop them
    > to the SendTo folder?
    >
    > FS.......
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    >~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >> * A window opens and says: "Windows cannot find sendto. Make sure
    >> you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a
    >> file click the Start button, and then click Search."
    >
    > Yeah - this happens on some machines. Use explorer and just go to it.
    > C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\SendTo

    ## I found it under OWNER. This was how my husband set it up when I got
    this PC 2 years ago. How do I set myself up as the Administrator?

    > You could even cut/paste these lines into a notepad document, save that as
    > C:\opensendto.cmd and run it..

    > explorer "%USERPROFILE%\SendTo"

    ## This one doesn't work either. I get the SAME error.

    >>> Are you using an administrator account?
    >>
    >> * I guess so since I'm the only one using this PC (one account on
    >> it). How would I know? Everything else in Start/RUN works such as
    >> msconfig etc.
    >
    > Windows XP - doesn't matter if you are the only one using it.. You are
    > unlikely to be the only user. Especially if it is XP Home Edition, then
    > you have the Administrator user that can only normally be accessed in Safe
    > Mode.

    ## I never use safe mode. All my stuff is under USER in C: This is too
    confusing - I'm the only one using this PC why do I need all these extra
    accounts for non-existent users? I *AM* the only user of this PC at this
    time.

    >>> Each user has a SendTo folder. Do you have more than one user?

    ## No.

    >> * No. How do I communicate that to Run?

    > You don't. I have seen this happen before - where Start-->Run-->SendTo
    > stopped working - reasoning (to me) unknown and I was never bothered by
    > it.. Since I knew how to get to it.

    ## I found it with AgentRansack. There are 3 sendto folders - one is in
    C:\Windows/system32.

    > You could even type the line I gave above into Start-->Run and it would
    > work fine..
    >
    > (explorer "%USERPROFILE%\SendTo")

    ## This opens WindowsExplorer to a sendto folder. What do I do with this
    window? There's no way to add anything to it?!?!?!? How do I add anything
    to it? Do I create shortcuts and drag and drop them into this folder? Or
    use File/Shortcut? What works better/best?

    FS.....

    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    > It means that you are using OWNER. You have XP Home and you didn't get a
    > proper account setup.

    $$ I looked and it says "Owner Administrator".

    > %homepath% is an environment variable that is the path to the user's home
    > directory.
    >
    > Normally when %homepath% is typed in Start | Run it brings up
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here or whatever drive D:, E:, F:,
    > etc.
    >
    > Yours doesn't, because you do not have a proper account.

    $$ I set up another account about 20 minutes ago per a website someone
    recommended and the account didn't show in WE. I couldn't find it.

    > Normally when %homepath%\SendTo is typed in Start | Run it brings up
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\SendTo or whatever drive D:, E:,
    > F:, etc.
    >
    > Yours doesn't, because you do not have a proper account.

    $$ How do I set up a proper account and then how is it located? What's
    wrong with the account I have as Owner Administrator?

    > Normally when sendto is typed in Start | Run it brings up
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\SendTo or whatever drive D:, E:,
    > F:, etc.
    >
    > Yours doesn't, because you do not have a proper account.
    > Out of curiosity what happens if you type: my documents in Start | Run?

    $$ "My Documents" folder opens.

    > Same Windows cannot find error? Or does My Documents folder open as it
    > should?

    $$ It opens "My Documents."

    > How about if you type: owner into Start | Run?

    $$ It says "Windows cannot find owner."

    > It opens the OWNER folder, right? Is it C:\OWNER?

    $$ No. See above. Windows can't find owner. My account is called Owner
    Administrator.

    > *******************
    > Post back with what opens.
    > *******************

    $$ It says "Windows cannot find owner." BTW, my account is set up as Owner
    Administrator.

    > Almost any advice anyone gives you will be incorrect for you as you can
    > see.

    $$ They give me advice and many times it doesn't apply to my version of XP.

    > You do not have a proper account.

    $$ How do I set up a PROPER account and then find it on my PC using the
    information on that webpage? I used Start/control panel/user accounts to
    create a new account called Freespirit Administrator. It created it as far
    as I know but I couldn't FIND it anywhere. So then I had TWO administrator
    accounts. How are these accounts located once you create them? Also what
    do I do with my old account and everything in it? If I screw up moving
    everything I will be unable to access all my files. How do I access both
    accounts from the new account - if I can find out how to locate the new
    account?

    > Set up a proper account.
    >
    > How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783

    > How to Copy or Remove a User Profile
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm#usercopy

    ## I have to remove my old profile to make a new profile and move
    everything from Owner Administrator to FreeSpirit Administrator? All that
    does is change my name from Owner to FreeSpirit. I'm not sure I'm following
    this.

    > How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151

    > If you're going to create a new account, do not delete OWNER until you
    > have
    > everything moved to the new account. Even these instructions may be
    > tricky.
    >
    > [[The Owner account may not be removed correctly when you run Setup on
    > computers that are running Windows XP Home Edition. The Owner account is
    > displayed as "Account Unknown" when you view profiles on the computer.
    > Also, the Owner folder is not removed because the profile is not removed.
    > Note that other problems occur if an Owner account is used or created
    > during the remainder of setup or Out of Box Experience (OOBE).]]

    ## This is Chinese to me. I have an administrator account called "Owner
    Administrator" now. It shows as "Owner Admin" and not "Account Unknown."

    > [[This problem does not occur on Microsoft Windows XP Professional-based
    > computers because the Administrator account is used during Setup. This
    > problem also does not occur on Windows XP Home Edition-based computers if
    > you do not use the Owner name as the default user. The OOBE deletes the
    > Owner account before completing the procedure after you install the fix
    > from
    > this article.

    ## Which FIX as there are 3 webpages geared for techs? When I created
    another Administrator account it didn't show up anywhere.

    > NOTE: Existing data in the Owner folder from the Owner and the
    > Administrator
    > is copied to the Default User folder before it is deleted.]]

    ## My account is called "Owner Computer Administrator."

    > The Owner Account Is Displayed As "Account Unknown" in Profiles on Windows
    > XP Home Edition-Based Computers
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312131

    ## On my version of XP it's called "Owner Computer Admin'." and not "Account
    Unknown."

    > [[During the installation process, the default user's profile is created
    > based on the Administrator profile. The problem occurs when Windows
    > queries
    > the security identifier (SID) of the Administrator account. Because the
    > computer name is the same ("Administrator" for Windows XP Professional or
    > "Owner" for Windows XP Home Edition) as the user name, the SID of the
    > computer is returned, not the SID of the Aministrator account. There is
    > no
    > entry for the computer SID in the corresponding registry location
    > (HKLM\...\ProfileList), and the profile path is set as empty. This
    > basically becomes the root of the system drive. Therefore, the whole
    > system drive is copied to the %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Default
    > User folder, which takes a long time. ]]
    > Installation May Take a Long Time If You Use "Administrator" or "Owner" as
    > the Computer
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327917

    ## So what should I do? Try and change the name from "Owner Administrator"
    to "FreeSpirit Administrator?" They're both administrator accounts. What
    difference will this make? I don't understand any of this as we followed
    all the directions when we set up my account as " Owner Administrator."
    What if I screw it up as a non-techie - will I still be able to access all
    my files?

    > Hope this helps. Let us know.

    ## Well it may help a PC technician...........

    FS~

    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:OxfpvXxlFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > ~ FreeSpirit ~ <spammenot@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
    >>> What is the error that you get when you type sendto in the Start | Run
    >>> box?
    >>>
    >>> Who are you logged on as?
    >>
    >> ## How do I find that? I'm the owner and only user of this PC.
    >> Start/Run
    >> works for everything else.
    >>
    >>> Type or paste this in the Start | Run box...
    >>> %homepath%
    >>>
    >>> What folder opens?
    >>
    >> ## It says OWNER.
    >>
    >>> Type or paste this in the Start | Run box...
    >>> %homepath%\SendTo
    >>>
    >>> What folder opens?
    >>
    >> ## I C&P it and no folder opens. I get this error: "Windows cannot find
    >> '/documents'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.
    >> To search for a file..... "
    >>
    >>> Do a Search on your machine for SendTo.
    >>> Follow the instructions here...
    >>> HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347
    >>
    >> ## I found 3 "sendto" folders using AgentRansack. Both under documents
    >> and settings. One was administrater and the other default User. The 3rd
    >> was in C:\Windows\system32.....
    >>
    >> What does this mean?
    >>
    >> FS.........
    >>
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:Ot257ymlFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >>> ~ FreeSpirit ~ <spammenot@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    >> How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
    > =======================
    > OK, I deleted the new one I couldn't locate and created another
    > account called "FreeSpirit Administrator" but this one, like the last
    > one doesn't show up anywhere. How do I go about locating it on my
    > PC? AgentRansack and Find all Files & Folders doesn't find it either.

    Did you log in as the user yet?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    > You do not have a SendTo folder. Remember?

    ## I used Agent Ransack and located three of them.

    > You found three SendTo folders on your machine:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\SendTo
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\SendTo
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\SendTo
    >
    > None of these are "yours".
    >
    > Yours would be C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\SendTo

    ## Mine is in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\SendTo

    > You do not have a proper account.

    ## I added another account called "FreeSpirit Administrator" but neither
    AgentRansack or FAFAF can locate it. It does not show up anywhere - how do
    I find it?

    FS~

    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:eHO0WcxlFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > ~ FreeSpirit ~ <spammenot@nospam.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> You need to create shortcuts and send them to sendto.
    >> ===================
    >> If it's that easy why can't we create a short cut and drag and drop them
    >> to the SendTo folder?
    >>
    >> FS.......
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    > I added another account called "FreeSpirit Administrator" but
    > neither AgentRansack or FAFAF can locate it. It does not show up
    > anywhere - how do I find it?

    Log in as the user...

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    From the website below:

    Open System in Control Panel. On the User Profiles tab, and under Profiles
    stored on this computer, click the user profile you want to copy, and then
    click Copy To. In the Copy To dialog box, ..........

    $$ There is NO "copy To" when I click on user profile. See what I mean?
    There is no "dialog box." I clicked on "Owner Administrator" which is the
    only account on this PC aside from the new one I can't find called
    "FreeSpirit Administrator."

    ........... under Copy profile to, type the location for the new profile,

    $$ That's not possible even if there was a dialog box since I can't find the
    new account I just created called FreeSpirit Administrator."

    or click Browse to select the path.
    Click Change to open the Choose User dialog box, click a new user from the
    Names list, and then click Add. The new user name will appear in Add Name.
    Click OK to add the user as a new user profile on your computer.

    $$ Where are all these things on my PC?

    FS ~

> [...]
    >> Start/Run
    >> works for everything else.
    >>
    >>> Type or paste this in the Start | Run box...
    >>> %homepath%
    >>>
    >>> What folder opens?
    >>
    >> ## It says OWNER.
    >>
    >>> Type or paste this in the Start | Run box...
    >>> %homepath%\SendTo
    >>>
    >>> What folder opens?
    >>
    >> ## I C&P it and no folder opens. I get this error: "Windows cannot find
    >> '/documents'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.
    >> To search for a file..... "
    >>
    >>> Do a Search on your machine for SendTo.
    >>> Follow the instructions here...
    >>> HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347
    >>
    >> ## I found 3 "sendto" folders using AgentRansack. Both under documents
    >> and settings. One was administrater and the other default User. The 3rd

  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    FS,

    See my more detailed response laying out the actual steps you need to take.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    >~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >>>
    >>> How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
    >> =======================
    >> OK, I deleted the new one I couldn't locate and created another
    >> account called "FreeSpirit Administrator" but this one, like the last
    >> one doesn't show up anywhere. How do I go about locating it on my
    >> PC? AgentRansack and Find all Files & Folders doesn't find it either.

    > Did you log in as the user yet?
    How do I log in as the USER? I don't log in. The PC boots up and that's
    it - there is no logging in. ???? I can't find the new account I created
    called "FreeSpirit Administrator" to configure it. How/where are these new
    accounts located? There is nothing in/on the User Account window for
    configuring.

    FS~
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    >~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >> I added another account called "FreeSpirit Administrator" but
    >> neither AgentRansack or FAFAF can locate it. It does not show up
    >> anywhere - how do I find it?
    >
    > Log in as the user...
    ====================
    How? There is no log-in. My PC boots up and is ready to use. How do I find
    a way to log-in as the User?

    FS~

    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    > "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> FS,
    >>
    >> See my more detailed response laying out the actual steps you need to
    >> take.
    > ======================
    > Where is this detailed response? How the heck did this thread get
    > cross-posted everywhere?
    >
    > FS~
    This thread was started by "rwrede" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> and has always
    been cross-posted.
    --
    Ron Sommer
  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >> Did you log in as the user yet?
    > From the Website: Note: You must be logged on as an administrator to
    > the local computer to copy user profiles. To open a Control Panel
    > item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then
    > double-click the appropriate icon.
    > ## Which is the APPROPRIATE icon to log on as the admin or the USER? The
    > website doesn't say......
    >
    > As I already posted, I don't log on when my PC is turned on.

    Log Off..
    CTRL+ALT+DEL and choose to log off or choose Log Off from your start menu.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >> Log in as the user...
    > ====================
    > How? There is no log-in. My PC boots up and is ready to use. How do
    > I find a way to log-in as the User?

    Log Off as the current user.. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and find log off in the
    choices that come up pr look at your start menu and choose log off..
    Try Control Panel --> User Accounts and "Change the way users log on and
    off"..
    Or better yet - set a password for your account now that you have more than
    one account.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    >~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >>> Did you log in as the user yet?
    >> From the Website: Note: You must be logged on as an administrator to
    >> the local computer to copy user profiles. To open a Control Panel
    >> item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then
    >> double-click the appropriate icon.
    >> ## Which is the APPROPRIATE icon to log on as the admin or the USER? The
    >> website doesn't say......
    >>
    >> As I already posted, I don't log on when my PC is turned on.
    >
    > Log Off..
    > CTRL+ALT+DEL and choose to log off or choose Log Off from your start menu.
    ========================
    Then how do I log back with the old name "Owner Administrator" if something
    goes wrong? If I lock myself out of this PC the whole network is "out."

    FS~

    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  42. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    >~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >>> Log in as the user...
    >> ====================
    >> How? There is no log-in. My PC boots up and is ready to use. How do
    >> I find a way to log-in as the User?
    > Log Off as the current user.. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and find log off in the
    > choices that come up pr look at your start menu and choose log off..

    ## I need to know how to LOG-ON or LOG-IN. I don't see that option
    anywhere. If I log *out* as "Owner Amdininstraor" how do I log back in to
    get online? If I screw this up somehow I screw up the whole network from
    getting online. Also, once logged out as "Owner Amin" - how do I LOG-IN as
    "FreeSpirit Admin?" - the second account?

    > Try Control Panel --> User Accounts and "Change the way users log on and
    > off"..

    ## OK. I found that....... but that doesn't help on how to *log-in* using
    another administrator name.

    > Or better yet - set a password for your account now that you have more
    > than one account.

    ## I can't set passwords. We don't want to have to sign in with passwords
    when we turn on this PC. Although I'm the only USER of this PC, it must be
    booted in the morning to get the network online. I'm not always the person
    who turns it on.

    FS~~

    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  43. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >> Or better yet - set a password for your account now that you have
    >> more than one account.
    >
    > ## I can't set passwords. We don't want to have to sign in with
    > passwords when we turn on this PC. Although I'm the only USER of
    > this PC, it must be booted in the morning to get the network online. I'm
    > not always the person who turns it on.

    You wouldn't have to except for a few times - to verify that it is the
    original bum account causing your issues!

    You could then either change the setting back.. or easier yet - set the
    password to BLANK - nothing - no password.. Press ENTER on the password and
    you are logged in. You could do that or use somehting like the Microsoft
    Powertoy TweakUI to automatically logon the good user.

    TRY logging on as the user.. In whatever way you have to. Technically -
    when you added the new user, it should have (on the next boot) presented you
    with a logon. If you check that box and have set no password for either
    account - it will boot to the welcome screen with a list of users OR it will
    boot to a place where you type in the username and password - and if you set
    no password, just pressing ENTER will get you past that.

    Whatever the case - after you log in as the NEW user once and determine
    whether or not this fixes the majority of your issues (Send To, etc..) -
    then you can make it where this NEW user is the only one and IT
    automatically logs on at boot up. But if you are unwilling to even try -
    then there is no point in continuing to try and troubleshoot as far as I can
    see it. If it is your profile that is the problem, this will pinpoint it
    and the proper steps can be taken - but we won't know unless you try it.

    A password for a few logons (or just having to choose between two users on a
    welcome screen with NO passwords) has got to be better than the mess I have
    seen in the multiple posts from you throughout these newsgroups. *grin*

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    >~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >>> Or better yet - set a password for your account now that you have
    >>> more than one account.
    >>
    >> ## I can't set passwords. We don't want to have to sign in with
    >> passwords when we turn on this PC. Although I'm the only USER of
    >> this PC, it must be booted in the morning to get the network online. I'm
    >> not always the person who turns it on.
    > You wouldn't have to except for a few times - to verify that it is the
    > original bum account causing your issues!

    ## With all due respect, how would this prove it a bum account? You mean
    it's the cause of so many things not being on my PC that I read here?

    > You could then either change the setting back.. or easier yet - set the
    > password to BLANK - nothing - no password.. Press ENTER on the password
    > and you are logged in. You could do that or use somehting like the
    > Microsoft Powertoy TweakUI to automatically logon the good user.

    ## I'm no techie and don't need techie-toys to confuse the matter even
    more. :-)

    > TRY logging on as the user.. In whatever way you have to.

    ## There is no USER account. It's just "Owner Administrator" and
    "FreeSpirit Administrator" which doesn't show up yet in WE.

    Technically -
    > when you added the new user, it should have (on the next boot) presented
    > you with a logon.

    ## Nope! I added the new Admin' account and nothing was presented at
    bootup.

    If you check that box and have set no password for either
    > account - it will boot to the welcome screen with a list of users OR it
    > will boot to a place where you type in the username and password - and if
    > you set no password, just pressing ENTER will get you past that.

    ## Nothing happened when I booted (account wise) up so there was nothing to
    select.

    > Whatever the case - after you log in as the NEW user once and determine
    > whether or not this fixes the majority of your issues (Send To, etc..) -
    > then you can make it where this NEW user is the only one and IT
    > automatically logs on at boot up. But if you are unwilling to even try -

    ## OK, I can try and see if I can log in using the new Admin account. As you
    know I now have TWO admin accounts.

    > then there is no point in continuing to try and troubleshoot as far as I
    > can see it. If it is your profile that is the problem, this will pinpoint
    > it and the proper steps can be taken - but we won't know unless you try
    > it.
    >
    > A password for a few logons (or just having to choose between two users on
    > a welcome screen with NO passwords) has got to be better than the mess I
    > have seen in the multiple posts from you throughout these newsgroups.
    > *grin*

    ## Someone else started this thread and I got involved. I didn't add all
    those NGs. ;-)

    If I screw up this PC trying to log on as the second Amin I can contact you
    from another PC using the land ISP.

    FS~

    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  45. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote on Thu, 4 Aug 2005:

    >"Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> Ok, right click on start button then the my computer icon and choose
    >>manage,
    >
    >## There is NO *MANAGE* to select when I click My Computer icon. Where
    >is *MANAGE* located in WXP-Home/Sp2? It's neither in the left panel
    >or the right panel of the MyComputer window. How else can I locate it?
    >FAFAF cannot find a "Manage."

    FS

    Jaymon said *right-click* on My Computer, not open it. Right-click and
    you should see Manage in the context menu that pops up.

    --
    Nightowl
  46. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Left click the start button, then just RIGHT click my computer, and manage
    should be about the third down on the drop down menu there.

    "Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    >~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote on Thu, 4 Aug 2005:
    >
    >>"Jaymon" <Jaymon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>> Ok, right click on start button then the my computer icon and choose
    >>> manage,
    >>
    >>## There is NO *MANAGE* to select when I click My Computer icon. Where is
    >>*MANAGE* located in WXP-Home/Sp2? It's neither in the left panel or the
    >>right panel of the MyComputer window. How else can I locate it? FAFAF
    >>cannot find a "Manage."
    >

    > FS
    >
    > Jaymon said *right-click* on My Computer, not open it. Right-click and you
    > should see Manage in the context menu that pops up.
    >
    > --
    > Nightowl
  47. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    [Nightowl wrote:]
    >> Jaymon said *right-click* on My Computer, not open it. Right-click
    >>and you should see Manage in the context menu that pops up.

    >OK, I did that - see above message. It opened a window called
    >"Computer Management" which only contains:
    >
    >System Tools - Storage - Services and Applications.
    >
    >There is nothing there (I'm looking at it) about users and the other
    >things he mentions.

    Right. And each of those categories should have a sign (+} next to it
    which you can click on to expand it. Are you saying you are not seeing
    this? When I expand System Tools I see:

    Event Viewer
    Shared Folders
    Local Users and Groups
    Performance Logs and Alerts
    Device Manager

    According to this Knowledge Base article, all these options and tools
    should be the same in both Home and Pro:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308423

    If you're not seeing these options, it seems it's one more thing that's
    seriously broken in your installation :-(

    --
    Nightowl
  48. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    --------------

    > Right. And each of those categories should have a sign (+} next to it
    > which you can click on to expand it. Are you saying you are not seeing
    > this? When I expand System Tools I see:
    >
    > Event Viewer
    > Shared Folders
    > Local Users and Groups
    > Performance Logs and Alerts
    > Device Manager

    ## OK, this is what I see:

    Event Viewer
    Shared Folders
    Performance Logs and Alerts.
    Device Manager...

    That's it!! :-( No Local Users and Groups.

    > According to this Knowledge Base article, all these options and tools
    > should be the same in both Home and Pro:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308423

    ## There always has been items MISSING from my version of XP-Home. It makes
    it difficult to follow anyone's advice here or get real help from websites.
    Why? How can I do anything when so many things do not exist on my PC?

    Another thing: I'm the Owner Administrator of this PC and can't sign off -
    I get a "Serious System Error" message.....

    > If you're not seeing these options, it seems it's one more thing that's
    > seriously broken in your installation :-(

    ## Then it was broken right from HP, and broken again after they replaced my
    HD and reinstalled a whole new version of XP-Home. :*(

    FS~

    > Nightowl
  49. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Nightowl wrote on Fri, 5 Aug 2005:

    >Right. And each of those categories should have a sign (+} next to it
    >which you can click on to expand it. Are you saying you are not seeing
    >this?

    Just had another thought -- if you only see a single pane, instead of
    two, and don't see the expansion boxes next to the categories, this
    could be why:

    In the management console, go to the View menu, click on Customise and
    make sure Console Tree is checked, then OK. You should now see the +
    signs -- can you?

    However, I'm confused; first you said you saw only three categories,
    then in your reply to Jaymon, you said:

    >I opened the tree to look - no "local users and groups."

    So do you see a tree with expansion boxes next to the categories, or
    not? Single pane or double like Explorer?

    --
    Nightowl

Support Configuration Microsoft Windows XP