AMD 6400+ BIOS Settings

reebo

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Hey, good afternoon all.

It's been a while since I last built a system from the ground up -embarassed grin- About 10 years to be precise. So if I ask any insipidly stupid questiosn, please forgive me.

I'm assembling a new PC and got a heck of a deal on a 6400+ ($150) so now it's time to get everything up and running. For reference, I'm using an ABIT AN-M2HD motherboard.

Anyways, the packaging had Zip/Zilch/Nada regarding BIOS settings for this CPU. The Motherboard comes up ok, and with the defaults the system posts (OS installation is tonight). But I was wondering what the "default" or standard settings for this CPU should be so that I can be sure I'm starting at the right place. I looked on AMD's website, and unless I'm going blind in my old age, there's no statement of the standard settings for this CPU. Likewise, when I googled it, I got next to nothing, I guess this chip's market penetration isn't enough to have lots of posts floating around about it.

So if anyone knows the settings, or perhaps has a link to the settings being posted somewhere, I'd be very grateful.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Should be 16x multiplier (3.2Ghz core clock). Not sure what the voltage should be off hand, but if it boots up and shows up off default settings as what it's supposed to be I wouldn't worry too much. If I'm correct it should allow DDR2 800Mhz memory to run at full speed.

As far as other settings go, you should be able to look at the boards manual to figure out what the performance settings are for the mainboard itself.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Agree with mathos, the default settings will be correct. You'll be able to do some overclocking in the BIOS if you want. If the machine becomes unstable, easy enough to fix, just boot into the BIOS and reset

pcnazz

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I have an ABIT AN-M2HD with a AMD 6400+ 16x 219 gives me 3.520 BIOS READING SET V ' s TO 1.425 I have A-DATA 6400/800 OC to 875MHz ! set the V ' s to 2.0 and I can run PRIME95 for ever at 48c/37c with a ZALMAN CNPS9500 pluged into the system fan plug set at 30c with the ZALMAN controler set to full and I Idel at 30c/22c FAN SPEED 1740RPM the system fan on the MB will adjust RPM ' s to load value , this should help you and I can get more than 3.520 out of her if I tweak the V 's some more but I love the temps I have at these settings and my CPU is very snappy ! OK let me no and I ' LL give you some bench marks ( DIAMOND RADEON VIPER 3870 GPU )

pcnazz

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
REBO , I just went to 16 x 220 and set V 'S to 1.450 in BIOS ran PRIME95 for an hour and completely STABLE and temps stayed the same , I just got this CPU 5 - 22 - 2008 so I ' m just getting used to it , HOPE these # ' s will help u the ZALMAN with AS5 works great pushes the hot air right out my NZXT LEXA BLACKLINE all right let me no how you make out !

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Modern motherboards will automaticly configure themselves correctly for processors so long as you have the newest BIOS. (for newer CPUs) Your 6400+ is old enough that all boards for its socket should accept it from a settings standpoint. The only reason you would need to change any of the settings is if you intend to overclock.