sumoburner79

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I tried to look this up but I'm having trouble still so here goes. I've just bought a seagate 500GB SATA hard drive and I have an older motherboard. It's an A7V133 Asus mobo. So I just purchased an adapter that is an Sata to 40 pin IDE and the older 4 pin, I think, power supply. It's just a little circuit board that plugs right in and on the back are the older connections. So I don't know if I just plug that right into the IDE slots on the motherboard or the slots right next to it which also are 40 pin but say ATA spots 1 and 2. Do I hook up to that spot. I'm confused.

sumoburner79

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I apologize for the typo. What I have is a 500GB Seagate hard drive I bought online, it's a SATA hard drive. I have a A7V133 AMD motherboard. It has the normal IDE slots and it also has two ATA slots that are the same kind of connection on the motherboard itself as the IDE connection slots. I also just purchased an adapter piece, here's the link:
http://www.cooldrives.com/sahadradtoid.html
It's allows me to connect my new SATA hard drive to my older motherboard. What I'm wondering is do I connect it to the IDE slots or the ATA slots? Also, do I have to hook it up on a different cable than the older standard IDE hard drive that's currently there.

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
From what I can see either will do; both sets are IDE just differant control chips; try one and if it doesn't work, try the other...

BTW:
IDE describes the physical interface, ATA is the command set used to communicate with the devices.