flashing the BIOS, on a ASUS P5B.

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Hi, I am going to be building a system with the P5B soon, using an E2140. But from what I've read on the ASUS site, I need to flash the BIOS to have it work with the E2140. So I wanted to ask what would be the best way to do this?

Could I flash the BIOS without a CPU on the P5B??
Or would I have to install the E2140 then flash the BIOS, like right away??

Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If the computer will boot with the E2140, you can update the BIOS off a Floppy. If you can install Windows, ASUS has a program that will do it. Just download the BIOS, extract it, and run the ASUS update program If the machine won't boot with the CPU, you'll have to put in one it will boot with an update the BIOS but this is unlikely

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
You can also do it off a USB key through the BIOS which i find easier faster and more reliable.

However, it will have to at least POST with the e2140.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I second what the "chookman" says. USB key and the EZ-Flash 2 tool that is in your bios. You will find the information on how to do this in your manual at section 4.1.2 and be sure to format your USB key to FAT32. "DO NOT USE THE ASUS BIOS UPDATE PROGRAM IN WINDOWS" There have been to many motherboards to crash using this program. My first ASUS P5K-Deluxe being one of them. I have a 64bit system installed on mine and the windows bios update program downloaded the new bios, erased the old bios but could not install the new one and I was left with a dead board. There has been like a 100% failure using the windows bios update program on a 64bit system. I now only use the USB Key and the EZ-Flash 2 method.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

I've always used the Update program and never had a problem so it's not quire 100% failure rate :)

You would install the CPU and have the files on a disk in the CD/DVD drive with the correct name. The ASUS EZ Flash should see the file and begin to flash it.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

No, mine is 32 Bit XP so that's likely why it works for me

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

You would think they would fix that hay

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

The EZ Flash 2 does not use the CD it uses either the floppy drive or a USB flash disk. AFUDOS Utility is the program that uses the CD. And we are talking about an update not a recovery. Most of the time the bios on the motherboard drivers disc is the same bios on the board already. Check the manual.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

Yes, you would think so. I know I only had my system running for a month when I went to update the bios because the CHA_FAN2 connector was reporting the wrong rpm's. This I did on the advice of their tech support who told me to watch for an updated version of the bios because it may fix the problem. He never once said not to use the windows update program with the 64bit system. They still have not resolved the fan rpm problem and I am running the lastest bios, all updated with the EZ-Flash 2 and a USB flash drive.

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
hey, Thanks for all your help. I guess using a USB key would be my best option. I don't have the CPU yet, but I guess it needs to POST, so I guess installing the E2140 then flashing is best?? anyway thanks again.

Moondrinker

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
I wont create a new thread for this but:

Is it expected that a P5K pro will boot up to BIOS with an E8400? Because then i would just download the bios file to my USB and update the mobo. But if not i'm in trouble. :) I don't have another Intel Chip, only an old AMD one.

djbrad007

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Hi,

my friend have the P5B board.

He buyed it with a Q6600 G0 cpu.

The bios was too old for the cpu, but it posted with "unknown cpu id".

He installed windows and updated the bios from there.

However, I suggest to do it with ezflash from bios.

Brad