Big screen TV advice needed.

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 3, 2005 6:09:47 AM

Well it's new TV time and I've been eyeballing big screens. I think the
plasmas are out of my range but have found some nice LCD projection
TV's. The main one I'm looking at is the Sony KDF60WF655. Is this a
good TV? They have a KDF60XS655 version that for about $500 more seems
to just give me some audio/speaker upgrades. I'm not real interested in
that since I am running the TV through my AV system anyways. What about
the XBR version KDF-60XBR950? I've been told that it has been
discontinued. I've had very good luck with XBR's in the past. I've seen
all of the above Sony's in the $2300-$3200 range online which is in my
range. I'd like to stay under $3500 and can fit up to a 60". Also,
what are the DLP projection sets? Are the LCD projection sets superior
to DLP? There are a lot of good deals out there on Toshiba DLP sets.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Scott
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 6:14:19 AM

We have the Sony KDF-60XS955. Great set. You can Google for comparison
information to differentiate between the various Sony models. Keep in mind
that price on these things is usually negotiable, so don't just pay the
sticker price. Ours was listed at over $4000 and we got it for around $3400
from Sears, last October or November.

mack
austin

<asahitoro@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Well it's new TV time and I've been eyeballing big screens. I think the
> plasmas are out of my range but have found some nice LCD projection
> TV's. The main one I'm looking at is the Sony KDF60WF655. Is this a
> good TV? They have a KDF60XS655 version that for about $500 more seems
> to just give me some audio/speaker upgrades. I'm not real interested in
> that since I am running the TV through my AV system anyways. What about
> the XBR version KDF-60XBR950? I've been told that it has been
> discontinued. I've had very good luck with XBR's in the past. I've seen
> all of the above Sony's in the $2300-$3200 range online which is in my
> range. I'd like to stay under $3500 and can fit up to a 60". Also,
> what are the DLP projection sets? Are the LCD projection sets superior
> to DLP? There are a lot of good deals out there on Toshiba DLP sets.
>
> Thanks in advance for any input,
>
> Scott
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 6:23:14 AM

In article <%1Pne.17359$PR6.12759@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com>
wrote:

> We have the Sony KDF-60XS955. Great set. You can Google for comparison
> information to differentiate between the various Sony models. Keep in mind
> that price on these things is usually negotiable, so don't just pay the
> sticker price. Ours was listed at over $4000 and we got it for around $3400
> from Sears, last October or November.
>
> mack
> austin

Thanks Austin,

I've been doing some more research and it looks like the XS is worth the
extra $ because of not only the audio upgrades but some video
upgrades/adjustability. So far the best price I've found is $3300
shipped w/no tax and from an authorized dealer (ABT and Onecall).

Scott
June 3, 2005 12:23:01 PM

<asahitoro@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Well it's new TV time and I've been eyeballing big screens. I think the
> plasmas are out of my range but have found some nice LCD projection
> TV's.

There's 3 types of micro-display TV technologies on sale, DLP, LCD and LCos.
If you are interested in how they work, I recommend the CNET site. To my
eyes, the LCos sets from JVC (called D-ILA) have the nicest picture,
followed by LCD and then DLP, but that said they can all be REALLY good with
the right input and adjustment. You can go to the big stores and see for
yourself, but be aware that they can fiddle with the signals, lighting,
settings etc to favour the sets they're pushing that day.

If price is important to you, check out the CRT-based projection sets.
They're bulkier and heavier than micro-displays, but offer good performance
for the buck. They need adjustment, but don't use up expensive lamps like
the micro-displays. Being an older technology, they are more mature with the
bugs worked out. I like the images they provide, but unfortunately they
don't fit in the spot I have for my giant TV.

If you're interested in Sony LCD projectors, but not in a hurry to buy, wait
a couple of months for the new Sony A10 and A20 models. Sony claims a better
picture and improved adjustment features.

I recommend the AVG Forum for far more information than you can possibly
absorb.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&foru...
June 3, 2005 2:39:28 PM

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 02:09:47 GMT, asahitoro@nospam.com wrote:

>Well it's new TV time and I've been eyeballing big screens. I think the
>plasmas are out of my range but have found some nice LCD projection
>TV's.

The two things to look out for in LCD projection sets are screen door
effect (SDE) and black levels. With some sets (depending on the size
and the distance you plan to watch) you can see the square pixels
(SDE). Of the three RP technologies, LCD has the poorest black levels
(bad contrast in dark scenes).

I personally went with the JVC D-ILA set. It had the best picture to
my eyes, does not suffer from SDE, and while the black levels are not
as good as DLP, they are better than LCD. The JVC is also less
expensive, so IMO it's a better bang for the buck.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 3:42:58 PM

<asahitoro@nospam.com> wrote

>... I need to get something now/ASAP in the family room since my ole XBR
>just died.

I see good reviews on the 52 inch Toshiba HM and HMX 84s, which are also
going for a good price. If I was buying today it would at the top of my
list. Good luck and enjoy your HDTV.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 6:56:20 PM

"DaveR" <NOSPAM_drubin@NOSPAM_i-2000.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 02:09:47 GMT, asahitoro@nospam.com wrote:
>
> >Well it's new TV time and I've been eyeballing big screens. I think the
> >plasmas are out of my range but have found some nice LCD projection
> >TV's.
>
> The two things to look out for in LCD projection sets are screen door
> effect (SDE) and black levels. With some sets (depending on the size
> and the distance you plan to watch) you can see the square pixels
> (SDE). Of the three RP technologies, LCD has the poorest black levels
> (bad contrast in dark scenes).
>
> I personally went with the JVC D-ILA set. It had the best picture to
> my eyes, does not suffer from SDE, and while the black levels are not
> as good as DLP, they are better than LCD. The JVC is also less
> expensive, so IMO it's a better bang for the buck.

Ah, yes, the Screen Door Effect - - a terrible thing - - being able to see
each and every pixel in the picture - - much better to focus the projection
so poorly that nobody can keep track of the aging and thermal effects on the
optical system as the resolution comes and goes. Actually, I avoid SDE just
by locating my chair back a few feet so the screen doesn't take up my entire
peripheral vision. But others may prefer to view their TV differently.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 10:00:24 AM

IMHO the Panasonic AE700U LCD front projector selling for around $1800.00 is
by far the best bang for the buck. No huge bulky television box taking up the
living room floor for one thing. I watch a 126 inch screen sitting 13 feet
away with absolutely no Screen door effect. You can put your nose against the
screen and still not see a screen door effect. The projector sits on a stand
between our lazy boy recliners. The picture is just amazing. the only down
side is replacement bulbs are expensive at $350.00 each. But then again I
didnt pay 3 or 4 thousand dollars for my set. Last time I went to a theater
(AMC) with my wife, it cost 9 dollars each for the ticket A large Coke was
$5.50 and a large popcorn was $5.00. So it cost us 40 dollars. Since I now
virtualy have a theater in my living room I wont be going back to theaters to
often. I figure even if I have to change the bulb about every 10 months or
so, Im way ahead.
!